Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2017, 03:14 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Fridge quit cooling

My fridge quit cooling.
I ran the diagnostic screen through the programs and it does not show a fault anywhere in the program. It is a 4 door Norcold 2117x RV fridge. It exhibits all the symptoms of low on gas but I do not see the signs of ammonia leak anywhere. It's not stuck in a defrost cycle as I can bypass that in the program.
Don't know where to look next?
Anybody else experience this?
Jeffur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:54 AM   #2
Gone Traveling

Has you coach been stored out of level for a while? If so just drive on a rough road a ways & it may come back on.
Also how are the batteries, you may have enough juice to scroll the menu but not enough to operate the control board.
Have you washed the coach or had blowing rain, if so it may have gotten wet outside, , if so find a strong magnet & find the small black box with a red light on it, run that magnet just above the red light (if I recall) til you hear it reset.
That's exhausted my suggestions, good luck.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 02:44 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Just had my rear coils section replaced on our right side fridge. Have had issues with it the last 2years. It finally gave up about a month ago. Mobile RV guy said maybe it had blockage. I'm clueless about these units. Anyway, covered by extended warranty. Working fine now.
Gary
Ruby & Jade. English Springer Spaniels
Ramn4ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 07:23 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Yes the 5th wheel RV was stored out of level. But did have a rough ride up to the camp ground. The Death Star red light is not on but I used a magnet and reset the switch anyways. The boiler operates and I hear refrigerant boiling. I contacted my refrigeration guy and it is as I suspected - low on gas. However I did not see the tell tale signs of a refrigerant leak ( ammonia yellow dust). We checked, the fridge is discontinued and the part no longer available. Go figure, I only use part of the season, a few weekends a year and it's a 2011.
5G for a new fridge.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:34 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Check with Norcold to see if it is part of their recall and class action suit.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:21 PM   #6
Seasonal Camper

I had something like that when we got our 2011 Seville. You need a clamp-on DC ammeter and check the defroster line. With the defroster bypassed, you shouldn't read any current.

What are your temp reading from the control panel? If those are close to good but your ambient temps are high, then it sounds like your defroster may be running regardless. That's what mine did due to a bad solder joint.

A quick test (not necessarily good for your finger) is to pull the cover in the freezer area & feel the defroster line for heat. Another test would be to pull the defroster line off temporarily. If it starts working properly, then you'll probably need a new board.

If you're anywhere close to Shipshewana, Indiana there are several places there that are good on the camper refrigeration.
2021 Alliance Paradigm 365RD
WoodcarvingGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 03:05 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

I pulled the fridge out last night, I did not see any visible signs of refrigerant leak. I have removed refrigerator area shroud and the freezer area shroud. Neither area show signs the defrost heaters are on / I did feel their heat at touch. The fin temps are 62-67. Disconnecting either thermistor will get the corresponding area fan to run. Fridge will run on propane or electric and heat and boiling refrigerant sounds are ears in the boiler. Temp is 325 at top of / exit of boiler. Program display does not show any faults. Everything is level. Still stumped?
Old 09-13-2017, 03:10 AM   #8
Family Vacation Member

Sorry spell check is a killer here.
Did not feel any heat in the electric defrost heat trace wires on either evaporator.
Boiling refrigerant sounds could be heard in the boiler
Old 09-13-2017, 06:23 AM   #9
Seasonal Camper

That lets the control board & defrost circuit out. It sure sounds like the boiler or something is not right.

I'd call National Refrigeration in Shipshewana (http://www.fixyourfridge.com) & see if they can give you any advice. Norcold tech support will only go so far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2021 Alliance Paradigm 365RD
WoodcarvingGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:34 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Disconnecting the thermister is what I did after the new coils were installed. Took 24 hours for the temps to come down. If that doesn't work. I would also call Norcold.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
Old 09-13-2017, 10:41 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

Also I stalled on the back side of the fridge. Some pieces too have the air flow directly over the coils. My RV repair guy gave me the scoop. These fridges are not install to Norcold specs. The black piece is on the bottom section. Bought a sheet of aluminum at Home D, to help exit the hot air out the top vents. Our fridge is in a slide.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
Old 09-13-2017, 07:13 PM   #12
Family Vacation Member

Thanks everybody for your support. I took the fridge out so cooling/ air flow does not have any impact on the cooling. It was properly boxed in and ducted ( or I would have had this problem from day one).
It's been running for 24hrs now and still is only down to 42 on the evap fins for the freezer and no temp change in the fresh food area. It's exipiting all the signs of low refrigerant.
Time to bite the bullet and retire this fridge and buy a 2118 model.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:13 PM   #13
Site Team

Have you left it on since your first post a couple days ago? When I turned mine on for the first time this season, the temperature in the freezer dropped about 5 degrees and the refrigerator dropped nothing in the first 8 hours it was on. By the end of the second day the freezer was down to zero and the refrigerator was 35.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2024: 2 trips, 26 nights in 8 states, 4801 miles
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 3904 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:58 PM   #14
Family Vacation Member

It's never needed 24 hrs before to drop the temps. I guess there's no harm in letting it run all weekend.
Old 11-06-2017, 03:54 PM   #15
Family Vacation Member

Fridge update.
Ordered new one from through Vendor that Norcold would deal with. First one as ordered with ice maker arrived too smashed up to install, Vendor refused delivery and reordered. Second one arrived three weeks later (and it's time to put the RV to bed) so we unwrapped it an guess what no ice maker. So I installed it anyways as I had the help and had to winterize and put the tip outs in.
Kicker is I took the old one home and inverted it (flipped it upside down for 24hrs). Right it the next day and it worked fine. Next day - not as good and noticed frost build up outside on vertical tube with capillary line soldered to hit. Took a block of wood and tapped the coils and frost went away immediately and it's been working fine ever since. - so try those tricks before you commit to buying a new fridge and now I have a good fridge with low use (2011) model Norcold 2117 IM with ice maker for sale - no warranty.
Cheers - with cold beer again.