Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2013, 11:54 AM   #1
New Camper

I recently bought an'08 CR Seville and love it. The landing gear though has been making some stress sounds as the motor gets close to lifting the rig off my hitch. These stress sounds (a loud squeaky noise) gets worse as the load gets heavier and then mysteriously the sound stops while the motor continues to turn. Well, the other day. I tried to extend the landing gear and the motor just quit. I checked out the in line fuse and it was burnt out. Replaced it with another and the motor turned for about a second and the new fuse burnt. I pulled off the motor and manually cranked up the rig. Initially there was no squeaking sound but as the weight got heavier, it started up again.

My question is does this sound like I have a problem with the gearbox and the motor, just the motor or just the gearbox. I did touch the wires of the motor for a moment with the battery and it did turn.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:38 PM   #2
Family Vacation Member

By the sound of things I would say probably the electric motor. If you have the time and tools, I would pull the motor (gearbox would probably come off with it), take it into a electric repair shop and let them check it out. Hope this helps.

Jim & Linda with Candy Bar and Misty
'06 Chev 3500 DuraMax w/Banks
'10 Seville
'09 GL1800 Hannigan Trike
GSCM USN(Ret)
ALR,PGR,VFW 3788, AL460
Triker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:52 PM   #3
New Camper

had the problem on my 10 Seville last fall kept blowing fuses going up and down finally removed inline fuse altogether added a splitter/relay and now works great I wish I took pics to send you if you can wait till May 2 when I can get into trailer park again I will take pic and send
PS I thought the motor was done (to much draw)since I don't use jacks at all but im glad I did what I did first
hope this helps good luck
Old 02-12-2014, 08:00 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

The motor and gearbox can replaced relatively easy. Since it squeaked without the motor per your description, it could be the gears inside the leg. These often go bad if the previous owner retracted the landing gear too far up into the main leg.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 06:54 AM   #5
Site Team

There should be a grease zerk on the the top of each leg. If it's never been greased it might be an issue.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 01:04 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

since you have the same problem with the motor and hand cranking you could have a bent landing gear leg. It is not hard to do as I have done it. I guess you could have it hitched up and try to run the legs full travel (with the adjustable leg all the way up) That way you could see if it was bend or just the weight of the trailer on the gear its self.