Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2015, 11:40 AM   #1
New Camper

Rear axle issues

I have a 2009 crossroads Seville 35 CK. I have had to replace the tires, the rear springs and lately the rear aluminum wheels due to breakage.
I was just wondering if anybody else is having similar issues.
Mkragsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 06:58 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Don't recall any rim failures over the years. Tires - yes lots of issues, springs - a few - do a search and you will find a few posts on spring replacements. Most have had axle issues and several have had to be replaced.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:58 PM   #3
Seasonal Camper

I never got much life out of tires on our Seville. Had to take the trailer in for an alignment every other year. If we would have kept it I would have swapped the axles out to something a little more quality.

I never hit a curb, and didn't use a slider with my short bed so no overly sharp turns either.

SOB 5er
lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 06:02 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

I'd go to a weight scale and check each axle weight while hooked to the tow vehicle. It is pretty common for the rear axle to carry more weight than the front, especially if the trailer sits nose high.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 01:47 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

My 2008 Seville which was bought new in 2009 has two wheel rims which are showing cracked spokes, one wheel has three, the second one has one, this is a safety hazard that should be recalled on the rims!
Imagine a wheel coming off on the hight way going 110 KM and hour, this would surely result in a train wreck!

2003 Lariat Super Crew Diesel.

2008 Seville VF36SB
Flying Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 02:04 PM   #6
Site Team

Check with the manufacturer of the rims to see if they will help.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 02:13 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

That's nice, who is the manufacturer of the rims, I don't see any name on the rims in question, as far as I am concerned Cross Roads should be responsible for the rims as they are the manufacturer of the RV......Just my thoughts!

2003 Lariat Super Crew Diesel.

2008 Seville VF36SB
Flying Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 07:33 PM   #8
Site Team

Do you have a extended warranty plan? If not I would say the CR warranty expired a long time ago.
I have a feeling you will have to bite the bullet and pickup the tab for a set of new rims.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:53 PM   #9
Site Team

Did you look over the inside of the rims (side that faces inside of rv) There should be some type of marking in there. Of course corrosion might hide it.
Usually parts supplied by an outside source is warranted by the outside source, not Crossroads.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 04:23 PM   #10
Seasonal Camper

I just had the rims off my 2011 Seville (time for new tires) but didn't see any manufacturer info. Just a weight rating but no pressure rating (3580 lbs & Crossroads Service says 80 psi).

I was going to go to load range G tires (110psi) but couldn't without new rims. Next set of tires on this one gets rims & tires & maybe axles.
2021 Alliance Paradigm 365RD
WoodcarvingGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 06:14 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodcarvingGypsy View Post
I just had the rims off my 2011 Seville (time for new tires) but didn't see any manufacturer info. Just a weight rating but no pressure rating (3580 lbs & Crossroads Service says 80 psi).

I was going to go to load range G tires (110psi) but couldn't without new rims. Next set of tires on this one gets rims & tires & maybe axles.
If you go to G rated tires and rims, you certainly should also replace axles and springs with comparable rated components as well. And if you need the higher load rating of G rated tires, then the same should be true for the springs, axles, etc. Going from 80 psi to 110 psi tires will result in a much stiffer riding trailer. Existing wheel bearings, spring packs, etc. may not tolerate higher shock loads. And the entire trailer will also suffer from the harsh ride.

Most of us need to run max psi on the truck tires while towing, but quickly realize that lower psi results in a more comfortable ride when not towing. Same applies to the trailer, inflating tires significantly above the psi needed for the trailer's actual weight results in a rougher riding trailer.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 12:20 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

so true,,

I upgraded to 10ply and left them at 75 PSI for bout a month after our trip and boy, really rattled the fillings driving the NE Ohio roads..

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 06:51 PM   #13
Seasonal Camper

Larry, thanks for pointing that out. I knew that but didn't add that. Cost is going to be much more than just tires & rims. The whole suspension will need an upgrade as well as being raised a slight amount to make sure the clearances work.

The clearance issue is already there to some degree. There needs to be 3-4 inches between the tire and body. I don't think there is enough clearance by design (probably a cost issue).

At any rate, when the body gets fixed, then I will have them raise the camper at the same time. I still have another hole in the spring hanger that I can move to.
2021 Alliance Paradigm 365RD
WoodcarvingGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 06:12 PM   #14
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkragsdale View Post
I have a 2009 crossroads Seville 35 CK. I have had to replace the tires, the rear springs and lately the rear aluminum wheels due to breakage.
I was just wondering if anybody else is having similar issues.
Since my original post I have had to replace the tires due to a bent rear axle.
I replaced both axles, with anything but Lippert. The dealer doing the work on the axles tell me that Lippert has had many problems, due to reducing weight.
I agree because every part that Lippert has made on my RV has failed.
Front Landing gear , 3 of the 4 slideouts systems , axles.
Mkragsdale is offline   Reply With Quote