Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2009, 10:34 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

I am looking for different methods for insulating the Kingston. We do not have dual pane windows so I know that will be a concern, even though we have the upgraded insulation. In the front storage we have two plastic water lines coming through, I think from the washer and dryer set up??? they run to the front cap and make a turn to outsidewall on the door entry side, looking at the hole that the plastic water goes through I only see a small amount of insulation. Has anyone added any insulation to both of these areas?

Old 07-29-2009, 11:05 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

If I remember correctly Hunter (Keith has added insulation to his PP do a search. For it. I do not have the insulated window either. What we do for the winter is spray the windows with water and place bubble wrap over the damp water. Works like a charm. when you want it off just pull it off no mess and quick to do

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 10:07 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

fhenn, thanks the bubble wrap sounds like a good idea, how cold is the weather you camp in?
Old 07-31-2009, 12:15 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

If it gets to 25 degrees here were in a cold snap our average winter day is in the 30's. We do not really winterize the unit, as we camp one to two times a month. I will drain the lines, open the faucets, and let her go. I carry two ceramic heaters one for the Bed room, and one for the living area that with the furnace on just to keep the tanks warm works for us. I learned of the Bubble trick from my son who has a house that was built in the 20's it was in some magazine, and he tired it, and it worked well. Last winter we tried it and it made a big difference. It eleminated to water forming on the inside of the windows, did not seem to be as breeze thru the unit. The other thing, is to go to Lowe and get floor registers that can close. This will help heat different parts of the unit, by adjusting them. If I recall Keith (Hunter11) insulated his basement with a styrofoam board. I have not done this yet, but will try yo do this in the early fall. Boy this is sick neat weather only in the 90 degree area, and I am talking about winter. Where in Mo do you live?? Janet and and I are going to Ashdown Ark in September

Edited by: fhenn
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:11 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

I would think that after a few days the water in the water filter would freeze in Mo even though I drained all the lines and tank(it may not get cold enough in Ms)?

Bubble wrapping the windowssounds like a good idea, where did you get the bubble wrap?

I will look atadding styrofoamto the basement. It does seem a little early to talk about winter but some planning ahead seems to help. We go at Thanksgiving to my father in laws in IL. and stay several day and it can get down into the teens and this unit is not insulated as well as the last one and at times I thought the water was going to freeze.

We live in Columbia Mo. and make it to branson Mo. about four times a year, where is Ashdown Ark and how close is to Mo?
Old 07-31-2009, 09:29 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

You can buy the foil bubble wrap at Home Depot or Lowes. That is also whereI bought the 1" styrofoam sheets to insulate the basement area then I added the foil bubble wrap over that to finish it off. It not only helps in the Winter but in the Summer to keep the floor area in the bedroom and bath from heating up.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 11:59 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

You can get the bubble wrap, from a UPS store or any store that does shipping. Ashdown, is in the southwest corner of Ark.In the Cruiser we do not have a water filter that came from the factory. I have a add on one that I some times use. So the filter is not an issue with us. I Will blow out the water lines if it is going to be longer than two weeks before we go out again. This only take a little bit of time.
Edited by: fhenn
Old 08-01-2009, 05:13 AM   #8
Family Vacation Member

fhenn, Ashtown is some distance from Branson were we visit. We will to Branson and attend the Silver Dollar Christmas Show probably in Nov.

Hunter11, adding the (foil)? bubble wrap over styrofoamhow did you secure the bubble wrap to the styrofoam?
Old 08-01-2009, 05:49 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

I used self tapping sheet metal screws with roofing washers and secured it to the bottom on the aluminum floor joist. I then used alumunim AC/Heating tape on all the seams. Edited by: Hunter11
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 12:14 PM   #10
Family Vacation Member

Hunter11, did you remove the water lines and place them above thestyrofoam sheets of insulation board?
Old 08-02-2009, 12:22 PM   #11
Family Vacation Member

Just because I am having a moment here - do you put the bubble wrap on the inside of the windows?? cause I don't think I can get it to stay on the outside when I am towing.

thanks. I feel warmer already.
w&cferb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 02:12 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

Yep I put them on the inside Janet would not let me staple them on outside

Old 08-03-2009, 09:54 AM   #13
Family Vacation Member

Thanks, I can make good use of this for hunting in October.
w&cferb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:37 AM   #14
Family Vacation Member

Fhenn, thanks, because of changing the pipes around and I may cause a leak and we will aways be hook to electric I have been thinking of using a electric oil heater or a thermostat and heat lamp maybe 100 watt what do you think?
Old 08-05-2009, 10:52 AM   #15
Full Time Camper

I have two Ceramic heaters I have purchased from Dollar General. The ran me 15.00 each. The y work great. I generally have to cut it down to one once unit is warmed up other wise they will run us out (too hot). I have when camping and saw that the temps were going into the 20's put one in the basement near the water hook ups. I like the Ceramic because if they tip over they shut off. mine will shut off if on any kind of a angle. The morning after I did this I opened the basement and it was really toasty. I know some people use an oil based unit and like them. The heat lamp is made out of glass, and that would more than likely break. The other option which we may do is find a portable fire place and place it in the unit I think Hunter 11 has one that he got from Lowes or Home Depot Keith will probably chime in here with that..

Old 08-06-2009, 01:05 AM   #16
Family Vacation Member

fhenn, with the two Ceramic heaters did you hook up to50 amp ?

Also the in working on the water lines they are pick type, where did you get your fittings?

I am going to need to cut into ours and prevent the water from going to the washer and dryer as the lines go to the front cap and outside wall and I believe they will freeze.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:00 AM   #17
Full Time Camper

No we have a 30 amp service in our unit. I would think that you could disconnect the washe dryer hook up, and just put a cap on it. May some of the northern folks will chime in a tell us how they winterize that part or disconnect it

Old 08-06-2009, 01:49 PM   #18
Family Vacation Member

fhenn, I will disconnect the washer anddryer hook up and cap it as we will not use the dryer and washer outlets.

Thanks