Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2009, 06:17 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Well now we have a weekend in our 2010 KF33Sk. It is a beautiful rig but there are always some things that.....

The better than expected:

1. Side scare lightcan either be a scare light or porch light with flip of switch

2. 32" TV fits nicely. It must sit on the shelf however because the wall mount doesn't match the mouting holes.

3. Bedroom TV mounting bracket holds our 20" with no problem. We do not have to do anything with it when we pack up.

4. Lots of room around the bed (can make bed from 3 sides)

5. Wife says more cupboard space than we need

6. I'm 6'2" and the ceiling in the bedroom is the highest I've ever seen....great!

7. Both easy chairs are very comfortable

8. Large metal mirror over hitch pin

Bear in mind these are all things that exceed what we expected.

The could be improved:

1. Access to outside 120vac. The only outlet is about 10 feet up the wall over the top of the door. If powering your awning lights is your primary camping function you are in luck with this rig. I have an electric grill. To provide power you have to open the basement doors to access 120vac. Our first day it was raining but windy...awning not usable. It was relatively dry under the front overhang but I had leave the basement door open to access 120vac. There is no way to secure left door so it just bangs in the wind. DW finally put a bungee cord across doors.

2. Large bedroom cabinet for washer/dryer. If you don't have a washer/dryer, YOU must provide some kind of shelving. I probably can build something but when I buy a new rig I don't want to build anything.

3. Probably the most serious problem with this rig is the cabinets over the head of the bed. My wife and I have for years watched thenews in bed everynight and morning. We also always have coffee in bed every morning. We also enjoy the company of our two small dogs, Emma (Yorkie-Poo) and Wilson (Malteze). This morning I hit my head 10 times and stopped counting. We are going to remove the foam mattress we added to see if that might help. Would much prefer no cabinets and just small nightstands. This one is serious enough to consider trip to factory or whatever to remove the overhead cabinets.

4. Our 2009 Kingston had a self contained bathroom and I much prefer that over this current design. The fan is in the toilet room so the toilet door must be open when in the shower for venting. I suppose the vent over the bed would help some.

5. Basement storage. Flimsy plastic sheet takes more space than necessary. Must unscrew plastic panel to access water filter or water pump. Basement storage space smallest we've seen in past 5 or 6 5th wheels we've owned (primarily due to plastic sheet wall).

6. Battery in front storage space....very difficult to access....battery cut-off switch in the most remote position possible.

7. Sewer storage in rear bumper. Bumper has push-in end plugs. Every camper we have had with those plugs has lost at least one plug and most lost the sewer hose also. Easily fixed by replacing the push-in plug with rubber plug with small rubber knob on tob and bottom that fit into holes in the bumper.

8. Smallest microwave in the industry

9. Front entry closet has 0 hooks, shelves,or any facilities to store clothes.

10. Both easy chairs are VERY heavy....VERY difficult to move!

We have never had a 5th wheel this long (35 1/2') but it tows and handles easily. Backing is no problem.

I contacted the factory about a door to replace the screw-in panel for the hot water heater. They did reply with the reasoning and it makes sense....they don't want customers routinely storing anything next to the hot water heater.

We found only a couple of very minor things to be repaired during our first outing and I think that speaks well for this brand of RV.

The radio works but is an extremly low priority for us. Out TV has a built-in DVD player and that works very well.

We are very satisfied with the construction and quality of everything. We love the dark cherry color.Edited by: calliopeguy

2012 Cruiser CF325CKP

2010 Ford F-350 6.4 SB 4wd

W0CSC

Semper Fi 59-63
calliopeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:03 PM   #2
Weekend Camper

Ken and Renee,
Thanks for your thoughts about your 2010 Kingston 33SK. We have an early 2009 model and even though there are some differences, I agree with most of your thoughts with a few more to add. Keep in mind we still love our rig!
Besides your list the other things we really like:
1. The open space in the living room area which even when all the slides are pulled in you can still access 90% of the trailer. This is one of the main reasons we picked this model so that when we are on the road and stop for a bio-break or a bit of food we can still access most of the needed facilities.
2. Quality of construction is pretty reasonable for an RV although there are some concerns I will list later.
3. Quality look of cabinets and wood work.
4. Due to large rounded caps at the ends of the roof rafters (it runs along the sides of the roof), the insulation thickness can be maintained all the way to the edge of the roof.
5. We actually like the split bathroom arrangement (individual preferences) due to having space to move around and the open concept.

Extra concerns besides those that were in Ken and Renees list in the original post:

1. We have a cupboard clothes rod in our front closet BUT the cupboard is not deep enough or long enough to hang clothes. It would be better with a simple hook arrangement around back and or side walls inside. Note: This lack of proper front closet space to hang coats and place shoes is a problem for MOST RV's of this length and shorter. I know as we have looked at a lot of designs.
2. Furniture quality is poor and the main sofa bed cushions have already lost their strength and bottom out and due to their material nape, always look dirty and have looked this way since new. One of the 2 easy chairs has misaligned cloth panels and they both have sticky recliner rods.
3. One thing that really bugs me is the flimsy floor on the main dinette slide out. When you step on it the floor between the couch and dining chairs, it flexes enough to bang the two chair tops together! I am looking at ways to beef this up from the inside without affecting the slide mechanism.
4. Also a major sore point (literally) is the half round protrusion on the slide outs which I step on regularly that hurt underfoot. Is that absolutely necessary as my last "fiver" did not have that same feature on its similar size slide out?
4. Carpet quality is also poor.
5. My wife is short and the 33Sk stove area counter top and cabinets are just a little too high for her to reach. I don't know how this could be fixed ? It is one of the unique features we liked about this model but it is also a problem.

Anyway that is our 2 cents worth.

Ken and Lonnie.

Old 09-10-2009, 01:36 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

I could add some more here now that we've had a chance to use it more. The lack of an outside 110vac receptacle is still a real pain and always brings us the question "what were they thinking?" when the only 110vac outside receptacle can only be accesed by step ladder above the door? Why would a place to plug in awning dingleberries be more important than a place to plug in my electric grill, air compressor, outside TV, etc? The front entry closet is still a serious mystery....kinda wonder if they do random drug testing at the factory. Why would you design a front entry closet that doesn't hold clothes? The dark cherry wood is beautiful and I think it makes the inside look very plush. There is a price to pay however and that is it isalways very dark inside even with all the shades open (we would still go with the dark cherry). The lights over the bed are so high you cannot reach them unless you get up. The lights over the easy chairs in the living room are also so high you have to get up but are not worth turning on anyway because the don't provide enough light. Every RV has something that isn't quite as nice as it could be though. This floor plan really gives you a lot of living space. The overall quality is as good as anything I've owned (Designer/Alumascape/Cedar Creek/Carriage). I have also learned that backing a rig this big requires more strain on your comfort level because you really have to watch the cornering because you don't have as much room. Been thinking about getting a slider. Yes, I would buy another Crossroads....can't find anything better yet.

2012 Cruiser CF325CKP

W0CSC

Semper Fi 59-63
Old 09-10-2009, 08:49 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

One of the 2 easy chairs has misaligned cloth panels and they both have sticky recliner rods. Have not noticed this on our chairs, sounds like a fixable item. Nape is an issue, if given the choice my wife would have ordered a emtpy unit, but it works.

When you step on it the floor between the couch and dining chairs, it flexes enough to bang the two chair tops together! I have the 30SB, but do not have this problem, the floor is firm, again might be fixable.

half round protrusion on the slide outs which I step on regularly that hurt underfoot. Have not noticed this, but can't remember if I have actually stepped on it with bare feet. Will try it this weekend.

I don't know how this could be fixed ? My wife has a 1 step stool. And I constantly sing the Randy Newman song to her.

2008.5ish Kingston KF30SB

2008 Chevy 3500 dually
sheltieRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 11:17 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

calliopeguy, I see you are from Minnesota...did you purchase from a dealer up there? We will be visiting the wifes family up there probably in december and it is always nice to window shop. This is especially true after we seen the new 36-foot center kitchen at the factory rally this year</span>

2015 Rushmore Springfield
Disc Brake upgrade, Goodyear G614 tire upgrade
RV FLEX-ARMOR roof, Mor-Ryde IS suspension

2017 F350 Dually 4x4 6.7 Bronze Fire
gossamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 11:55 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

gossomar - We bought from Kroubetz RV, Lake Crystal, Mn. I looked all over the midwest for the best price and Kroubetz was in the ballpark. They have great service and have one of the few true fiberglass repair shops. What town are you heading for in December?

2012 Cruiser CF325CKP

W0CSC

Semper Fi 59-63
Old 09-11-2009, 11:45 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Thanks for the information, I see that is just down the road from you. We go to Cold Spring, just south of St. Cloud, but I have a brother-in-law just up the way from you in Glencoe that we usually visit during the winter trip. We usually make two trips per year to see the family as it is 9-hours one way.

2015 Rushmore Springfield
Disc Brake upgrade, Goodyear G614 tire upgrade
RV FLEX-ARMOR roof, Mor-Ryde IS suspension

2017 F350 Dually 4x4 6.7 Bronze Fire
gossamar is offline   Reply With Quote