Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2009, 10:46 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

We arrived at our site on Nov. 24th and returned home on 30th. we have been doing this for several years only with our Crossroads 03 3031,(let me say we had a great time with familyand I hope everyone else had a great Thanksgiving)it had a much better insulation package. So we now had a chance to see how much the insulation we added to the pass through and front storage helped. The temperaturewas cool, 27low to the high in dayup to50degrees. I soon found out I needed some more work on insulating from the 24that 5 amDW woke me and said she was cold it was 40deg in the Kingston.we had used one bottle of propane (in cold weather I do not use the auto mod as I want to know when I need propane). The front closet was much too cold a washer would freeze, so I need tore look at the front area, weclosed the closet door to save heat. Seating area would only stay at 62 with the fireplace on and the thermostat set at 69 deg. I was wondering if the floor has any insulation?
Old 11-30-2009, 09:08 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

John, I can tell you from having the front overhang cover off on our trailer right after we got it that I can see why your bedroom area would be cold if it is like ours was. When we pulled the cover around the hitch pin and pulled it all the way back most of the insulation that should have been between the floor joist fell out. It almost looked like they had took a hand full of bat insulation and threw it up under the bedroom area and then put the bottom cover on. So basically we had no insulation under the bedroom area floor.

While the mobile RV tech was fixing another issue we had with the trailer I put all the insulation back up between the joist and glued it back in with 3M spray adhesive. I would have run 1X2 strips across it to help hold it in but I did not want to hold up the mobile RV tech. I could not get to the front cap area so I have no idea what it looks like there but judging from the floor area I would not have a good feeling about it. Now maybe they have changed theprocess for installing the insulation sincethey made our trailer but I would not count on it.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 05:41 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

HunterII, I think you are correct, the air coming into the front storage area through the holes where the washer and dryer drain and water lines was great and if the insulation has fallen down that would let the cold upstairs.

HunterII, I will talk to Randy at Crossroads about this issue do you have a problem with me telling about your experience?

John

Old 12-01-2009, 05:53 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Not at all.

You might also want to get a can of expanding foam from Home Depot or Lowes and seal all the holes you can find under the trailer and in the storage areas. I used it to seal around our W/D connections in the front closet. You would be surprised how many small holes and cracks I found and sealed and it really helps keep cold and hot outside air from getting in.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote