Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2010, 12:23 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

While backing my Kingston into my driveway my break-away cable got tangled and it pulled out. I noticed just a slight change in backing. The dash information center stated I had a trailer wiring fault. Then I noticed the break-away cable pulled out. In my past experience, when the break-away cable is pulled the brakes got locked on tight. After I put the plug back in I drove forward and manually activated the brake controller. All I noticed was a slight braking action.. I continued to increase the voltage setting and speed and even at about 25mph and a setting of 9.5 I still only noticed a slight slow down when manually actuating the brakes. I called the dealer and he said that is normal with a Ford. He said you cannot manually lock up the brakes on a trailer with a Ford controller. He also said there is very little braking action when backing up as in my driveway when I pulled the cable. My Ford owners manual states it may not be possible to lock up the brakes manually when towing a "large" trailer. If you own a Ford with a built-in controller, can you manually lock your RV trailer brakes?

2012 Cruiser CF325CKP

2010 Ford F-350 6.4 SB 4wd

W0CSC

Semper Fi 59-63
calliopeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 11:22 PM   #2
Weekend Camper

I can't at 25 MPH but at lower speeds they will. Say 10 or 15 MPH. They will stop me abrubtly at 25 but I wouldn't say they lock up. I do know the tow haul mode really helps with the braking so be sure to always use that when towing. It also works great on mountain passes. I did Wolf Creek pass east bound in Colorado last summer. I set the cruise at 35 and only braked once all the way down. And that was only for the 25 MPH curve at the top. Can you move your trailer with the brakes all the way on manually? I can't. If you can you may need a brake adjustment on the trailer.

08 F250 PSD Super Duty

08 Kingston KF30SB
Caledonia Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 11:35 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Jason -Your reply makes me really concerned now. I cannot stop the trailer with the trailer brakes alone. No matter what voltage level I set the truck at, the manual trailer brakes only slow it down a little. I've been pulling quite a variety of 5th wheels over the past 15 years and I can always feel the trailer brakes helping out. With my current set-up I really feel "all alone" in my truck. Is it possible that all four brakes on the trailer were set up too weak? Can trailer brakes be set to apply with reduced pressure? I thought electric trailer brakes were somewhat simple in operation....the more voltage you apply the more brake you get. It is somewhat odd that the driver that delivered it to my dealer last week would not have noticed a problem. My first step is to find out if the problem is the truck or the trailer. Both are under warranty but I don't know about having them check just to make sure it's working. My Kingston dealer is 130 miles away. I guess I'll at least ask the Ford dealer if there is a quick check they can make to eliminate that side of the possible problem.

2012 Cruiser CF325CKP

2010 Ford F-350 6.4 SB 4wd

W0CSC

Semper Fi 59-63
calliopeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:18 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78

Your dealer should have checked the brakes and other systems at the PDI, mine does and they re-packed my bearings becuase they weren't that great from the factory.

Sounds like you need an adjustment on the brakes, at full gain on the controller you should have enough brake drag from the trailer to feel the trailer stopping WITH the truck. If at full gain you can't feel trailer braking then either your controller has an issue or the trailer needs a brake inspection.

Also, if your dealer is that far call Crossroads to assist you with a repair at a more local repair shop- any shop can service Lippert axles and Crossroads will cover the tab with previous approvals.Edited by: mwebber78
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:23 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

I do know that the after market brake controllers like the Prodigy will sometimes fry when the break-away cable is pulled while cord is hooked to the truck. Maybe that's what happened to your Ford controller. My breakaway came out coming out of a driveway once but I quick jumped out and disconnected the umbilical cord from the truck and my Prodigy kept working. Hard to believe though that Ford wouldn't design around that. My guess is it's trailer brake issues. Try pulling the breakaway out and giving the trailer a tug. You'll know if you have brakes or not then. Just don't hook up the umbilical to the truck when you try this.

08 F250 PSD Super Duty

08 Kingston KF30SB
Caledonia Jay is offline   Reply With Quote