Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-26-2016, 06:19 AM   #1
Weekend Camper
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: TN
Posts: 35
13.5k Upgrade?

2014 Rushmore Lincoln comes with a 15k A/C unit on the rear and a 13.5k low profile Penguin II on the front. It seems that is the common setup for nearly all of the dual A/C 5th wheels. Do they not understand square footage? I need all the cooling I can get! At 100 degrees on the lot with the sun broadside, inside temp in the LR will creep into the upper 80s. A tad uncomfortable to me, downright miserable for my wife and daughter, and they let me know about it.
I know that the High Capacity Penguin II has 15k output and is a direct swap. Has anyone actually done this, and how much of a difference did you notice? I tried searching, but no pertinent results. My brain tells me that an extra 1.5k simply can't make that much of a difference, especially for nearly a thousand bucks, but what price can you put on peace? Er, I mean making the family comfortable? Just a couple of degrees cooler in the LR could calm the savage beasts, and I want to LIVE!
__________________
2014 Rushmore Lincoln (2013 floor plan), 2nd owner
2005 Ford F-250, slightly warmed over!
Old Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 10:34 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper
 
2slick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Rockport, TX
Posts: 412
We just swapped ours. The Penguin crapped out....we replaced with a regular 15K Dometic. So much quieter and efficient. I think CR is the only one still using the Penguin.

Our units run most of the day, but we stay cool now.

I personally don't think the roof duct in an rv is worth a darn. You lose too much cooling due to heat in the attic(lack of insulation). We keep the quick cool dump open in the living room.....sometimes in the BR.

And there's a hellofa diference!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Will

2013 Chevy 3500HD
2012 Rushmore 38CK
2slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 10:44 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: TN
Posts: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slick View Post
We just swapped ours. The Penguin crapped out....we replaced with a regular 15K Dometic. So much quieter and efficient. I think CR is the only one still using the Penguin.

Our units run most of the day, but we stay cool now.

I personally don't think the roof duct in an rv is worth a darn. You lose too much cooling due to heat in the attic(lack of insulation). We keep the quick cool dump open in the living room.....sometimes in the BR.

And there's a hellofa diference!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You are right about the roof duct and cool dump. No comparison in my mind.
__________________
2016 Sunset Trail Super Lite 250RB
kgie1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 10:51 AM   #4
Weekend Camper
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: TN
Posts: 35
I just went through every vent hole in the duct system. The duct itself seems okay, mine is made out of an insulation-type board about 3/8" thick. The internal is about 8" wide and 1 1/4" tall. The problems I found was the vent tubes were never trimmed and were sticking into the duct (partially blocking air flow), in some places the ducts were squished, and the metal rectangular tubing CR originally put into various places to maintain duct opening size had shifted sideways, again partially blocking air flow. I fixed all of that and took the vent air flow adjusters off about half of the covers where I knew I would want maximum flow. I get decent air flow now, but am wondering how much better going with the 15k would be. And yes, I was seriously thinking of just getting the Brisk II, $200 less and only 4" taller. I shall count you as a Plus 1 for replacement!
http://www.crossroadsowners.com/foru...cts-11903.html
__________________
2014 Rushmore Lincoln (2013 floor plan), 2nd owner
2005 Ford F-250, slightly warmed over!
Old Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 11:28 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper
 
2slick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Rockport, TX
Posts: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bear View Post
I just went through every vent hole in the duct system. The duct itself seems okay, mine is made out of an insulation-type board about 3/8" thick. The internal is about 8" wide and 1 1/4" tall. The problems I found was the vent tubes were never trimmed and were sticking into the duct (partially blocking air flow), in some places the ducts were squished, and the metal rectangular tubing CR originally put into various places to maintain duct opening size had shifted sideways, again partially blocking air flow. I fixed all of that and took the vent air flow adjusters off about half of the covers where I knew I would want maximum flow. I get decent air flow now, but am wondering how much better going with the 15k would be. And yes, I was seriously thinking of just getting the Brisk II, $200 less and only 4" taller. I shall count you as a Plus 1 for replacement!
http://www.crossroadsowners.com/foru...cts-11903.html


I did similar on our ducts the first summer we were in our Rushmore. I was thinking Dometic specs were 1 1/2 X 12 on ducts.....but of course I've slept since then. I would love to see some sort of honey comb structure duct used to keep the ducts from collapsing. Also, mounting in-ceiling lights under a duct doesn't help with air flow.

We've had three Penguins.....all three shook the whole rv when the compressor started.

We have two Heartland fifth wheels on one side, and a Hitchhiker on the other side. All have full size units on the front. Our new ac is white. The other unit is black, but will be getting a white cover. IMO, the cover needs to stay as cool as possible, not absorb more heat.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Will

2013 Chevy 3500HD
2012 Rushmore 38CK
2slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:14 PM   #6
Weekend Camper
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: TN
Posts: 35
You could very well be right about the duct size, I didn't make hard measurements. I can only guess Dometic figures that the insulation is efficient enough and the cover vented well enough that it doesn't matter. Coat that sucker in silver if it would help!
__________________
2014 Rushmore Lincoln (2013 floor plan), 2nd owner
2005 Ford F-250, slightly warmed over!
Old Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:42 PM   #7
Full Time Camper
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: DFW, TexUS
Posts: 1,032
awnings over all windows and reflectix where you can !
__________________
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 01:06 PM   #8
Seasonal Camper
 
2slick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Rockport, TX
Posts: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bear View Post
You could very well be right about the duct size, I didn't make hard measurements. I can only guess Dometic figures that the insulation is efficient enough and the cover vented well enough that it doesn't matter. Coat that sucker in silver if it would help!
I can tell you, there ain't much insulation in our attic. I found that when I repaired a light in the BR. Also when I pulled a living room speaker.

Also, the beige color of the Alpha Ply roof doesn't help.....nor the dark color of the fifth wheel. My neighbor that has the Hitchhiker (white) compared temperatures of our rigs. Our Rushmore was 12.5* hotter on the outside surface than his Hitchhiker.

I actually looked at the RV Armour roof.....just curious what it would do. But, the Alpha Ply is so thin, I would be afraid the whole roof might peel off.

We will be getting all the windows tinted soon.
__________________
Will

2013 Chevy 3500HD
2012 Rushmore 38CK
2slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 01:25 PM   #9
Site Team
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: WI.
Posts: 7,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slick View Post

Also, the beige color of the Alpha Ply roof doesn't help.....nor the dark color of the fifth wheel. My neighbor that has the Hitchhiker (white) compared temperatures of our rigs. Our Rushmore was 12.5* hotter on the outside surface than his Hitchhiker.

.
What year is that HH? We had a 94 and I thought that was one mighty fine rig. They have since quit manufacturing them.
__________________
2008 Cruiser CF26RK
2013 Ford Eco-Boost
Heavy duty payload - Max tow
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 01:46 PM   #10
Seasonal Camper
 
2slick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Rockport, TX
Posts: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
What year is that HH? We had a 94 and I thought that was one mighty fine rig. They have since quit manufacturing them.
Not sure. They are in Iowa right now. Yes, from what I know they are well made rigs. My neighbor did tell me he's had a few plumbing issues. Said he removed the coroplast under belly completely and left it off. I really can't understand that one. I just cut access holes, then clean good and use Gorilla tape on it.

I googled Hitchhiker, and looks like they may be manufacturing them again. I know a few months ago, I met a couple on their way back to Kansas. He was pulling what appeared to me to be a new Hitchhiker.

After looking at the site I googled, it says it is owned by NuWa, but I only see used Hitchhikers.
__________________
Will

2013 Chevy 3500HD
2012 Rushmore 38CK
2slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Crossroads RV or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.