Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2010, 06:26 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

I want to install a 2 gal accumulator tank. There is just not much room in the area where the pump is located in the rear my 29RK. Any reason the tank could not be installed at the front of the trailer in the storage compartment? Seems like anywhere in the system would provide constant pressure.

Also, it is my understanding that the air pressure in the tank should equal the output of the pump, usually around 30 lbs. If your regulator for city water is set at 35-40 lbs will there be any issues?

I haven't seen many installation pictures but seems there also needs to be a way to drain the tank during winterization.

pulpwood007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 06:35 AM   #2
Site Team

The tank can be mounted any place inline As long as it is on the pressure side.
If I remember right, Shurflo said --5# less in the tank then what your pump cuts out at. You can go to their web site and read what they have to say.
I have the Shurflo accumulator tank. I wish it was bigger. I don't have a drain. Maybe you should on the bigger ones. When I winterized last year, I did it just as if the tank wasn't there. Worked fine.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:49 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

Do not see a problem with your proposed location. I have my tank pressure set at a couple poundsless than the pump cut IN pressure. This is the way the tanks on home systems are set up. Be sure to put a shut off valve near the tank. This prevents getting the pink stuff in the tank during winterization. Also if possible put the output lower than the main body of the tank. This insures all water drains from the tank when there is no pressure in the water system.
rcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:28 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflyer
Do not see a problem with your proposed location. I have my tank pressure set at a couple poundsless than the pump cut IN pressure. This is the way the tanks on home systems are set up. Be sure to put a shut off valve near the tank. This prevents getting the pink stuff in the tank during winterization. Also if possible put the output lower than the main body of the tank. This insures all water drains from the tank when there is no pressure in the water system.
thanks guys,

Maybe the specs on my pump will tell me the cut on pressure settings. Can't think of an easy place to put my gauge in the system.

Don't use the pink stuff here in NE Texas. Just drain and blow out the system. I'm going to cut into the PEX tubing in the storage compartment, add a "T" fitting, and either put a drain (like the low point drain) or a fitting I can take loose when I winterize and drain the trailer.

I'm thinking a cradle, that is mounting the tank horizontal, and being able to disconnect a hose and drain would be the most convenient.
pulpwood007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 01:01 AM   #5
Site Team

I went out and dug up my info from Shurflo. I was in error on previous post.
Shurflo states---
The most efficient use of the accumulator occurs with the pre-charge set at the "SAME" pressure as the pump's pressure switch "turn on" setting. Typically, a 45psi [3 bar] pump will turn on around 30 psi [2.07 bar]. Therefore, the pre-charge should also be 30 psi [2.07 bar]. The pre-charge MUST be set in a "STATIC" condition (pump off and at least one water fixture open).

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote