Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2016, 02:44 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Adding 12v outlets: DIY or pay someone?

Hi. I am new to TT's, we pick up our 2015 Sunset Trail ST240BH on Sat 8/27. I've had a pop up tent trailer for the last two years, and I had someone add some 12V/usb combo plugs into that. I have a CPAP machine and need the 12V plugs when dry camping, the recharge the batteries every couple of days with a generator. The guy who added the outlets to my pop up is no longer around, and the dealer quoted me $175/plug for him to add them. Since I want two, I'm looking at $350 for this mod. Am I off base, or does that seem like a lot for adding two outlets? I know this will be more labor intensive that the pop up, as my TT is sealed on the bottom. So I wanted to see if any of you had paid for this and what it cost, or is this something I can do myself? I'm not a professional, but I do know which end of the hammer is used on the nail...

Any way, I'd appreciate you comments!
smw57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 04:58 PM   #2
Site Team

Here is the most inexpensive solution.

https://www.amazon.com/Cellet-Univer...8ZS2HA9JRB2VFG

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 05:42 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Thanks, but my issue is needing 12v DC power when dry camping with no hookups. In that instance, the 110V outlets in the trailer are off (I do not have an inverter), so I need to install a new the 12v DC plug in the wall on my side of the bed and then route the wires back to the circuit panel. Then I'll have 12 V power for the CPAP machine.

My other option is to see what size inverter (and what it costs) I'd need to put in the trailer and then use the existing 110 outlets
Old 08-11-2016, 07:25 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Your new circuit doesn't have to go all the way back to the battery. A knowledgeable person ought to be able to pick off 12VDC at the output of the converter, (where it connects to the battery) and ideally, fuse that circuit there. Depending on the locations involved, you might be able to tuck wire under panels, along the baseboard, or some other acceptable routing to a surface-mounted outlet near the bed.
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:22 PM   #5
Gone Traveling

I'd tell your dealer "ADIOS", $350 for 2 12 volt plugs, totally unreasonable to me. I'm totally unfamiliar with your RV, but you could tie into any 12 volt source with a fused pair of wires.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:44 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

Thanks, All. I'll do some more research, but I'm not going to have the dealer do any of the work. As an alternative I am looking at adding an inverter. I figure a 1500 watt unit is more than sufficient to run the CPAP, plus the grand daughter likes TV & DVD movies, and I like a cup of coffee in the mornings Will have to see. Any of you have inverters that you particularly like?
Old 08-12-2016, 07:55 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by smw57 View Post
Thanks, All. I'll do some more research, but I'm not going to have the dealer do any of the work. As an alternative I am looking at adding an inverter. I figure a 1500 watt unit is more than sufficient to run the CPAP, plus the grand daughter likes TV & DVD movies, and I like a cup of coffee in the mornings Will have to see. Any of you have inverters that you particularly like?
I agree with the others... do it yourself and save the money! The price some of these places charge for labor is crazy (a place near us charges $115.00 an hour just for labor)!

As for the inverter, we have a 800 watt Samlex that I have wired just to outlets in the bedroom and entertainment center and we use it for a 50" and 24" TVs. We run it off of two 6v golf cart batteries and have been able to watch TV quite awhile and not drag the batteries down bellow 12v. We had a different brand in another trailer we had and it wasn't nearly as efficient as this one. This was one of the best mods we have done.

Phil & Janine
2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab Short Bed 2500HD Cummins
2014 Cruiser 333RL
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 08:37 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

I would lean the other way, i.e. towards a 12VDC system. There ARE 12VDC televisions with DVD players out there (I have one). But if you like the idea of an inverter, I think the 800 amp mentioned is good for electronics. It would not, however, run a 1200W coffee maker. Rather than upgrade that far just for coffee, I'd get and practice with a stove-top percolator (about $10). Once you figure out your brewing time, the flavor is better than drip machines.
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote