Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   CrossRoads RV Family Forum > CrossRoads | Tech > Upgrades and Modifications
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2019, 05:43 PM   #1
Seasonal Camper

Adding a battery bank, need to know what Converter I have.

I have a 2015 Crossroads Sunset Reserve ST26RB. I am doing some off season purchasing of upgrades. I am adding 2 - Trojan T-105, 6 volt batteries to replace the original battery.
I have been doing some research, and am trying to find out what converter is in my unit. I did find a spec of 55amps on a RV sales site, but that's all I can find. My RV is in storage, in a shelter, under 4 feet of snow, and no way to open the unit up to look at the Panel.
I did find that most people are saying that they have a WFCO Converter. The only 55 amp converter that WFCO currently uses is the model 8955.
Is it possible that someone could confirm that model is used in my RV?
Further, would the 8955 work with the 2 Trojan T-105s? I know that the Boost voltage (14.4 volts) is less than what Trojan recommends (14.8 volts) but I guess I'm asking if it's cost effective to replace the charger, as apposed to potentially losing a few life cycles of the batteries over time.
Wingerdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 06:36 PM   #2
Site Team

I had two Trojan T105 6V in the camper. They are pretty expensive. When one of them went bad, I replaced them with two 6V deep cycle from Farm and Fleet. Less money and they seem to be doing as well as the Trojan's did.

As far as the converter, I think the one in our's is a 55 amp. Seems to be pretty universal.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 07:12 PM   #3
Seasonal Camper

My 2014 Sunset Trail 26RB has a WFCO WF-8965.
Old 03-02-2019, 07:59 PM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
I had two Trojan T105 6V in the camper. They are pretty expensive. When one of them went bad, I replaced them with two 6V deep cycle from Farm and Fleet. Less money and they seem to be doing as well as the Trojan's did.

As far as the converter, I think the one in our's is a 55 amp. Seems to be pretty universal.
We have Mills Fleet Farm over here in Minnesota (and Wisconsin), and that is where I get most of my batteries. I looked at the equivalent to the Trojan T-105, and they want $119. I can get the Trojan at about $139.00. I figure for the difference, go with tried and true.
I've got time to ponder it all, with all this snow, I figure we'll see green grass about July.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:25 PM   #5
Seasonal Camper

Well, I finally got into my unit, and it is a WFCO 9865. I ended up getting a pair of 6 volt, 210ah golf cart batteries from Costco. Couldn't beat the price, and they even took an old motorcycle battery in for a core, saved me 15 bucks right there.
I think I'll be happy with the setup. I got by for 4 seasons (in two units) with one cheap 12 volt, so almost 4 times the capacity will be a real luxury. I dislike running the generator any more than I have to.
Old 03-24-2019, 02:02 PM   #6
Site Team

You must do some dry camping and want the extra ah for extended stays so you don't run out of battery to run the lights, fridge and furnace?
It should make for a nice improvement.
If you don't already have something wired in to monitor what state the battery charge is, I would recommend you do that also. The monitors that come with the rigs are next to worthless.
You probably already know when the battery gets down to 50% it's considered dead/totally discharged. 75% is as low as you should allow them to discharge.

That is a nice mod and I'm sure you will enjoy it this summer.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 07:37 PM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Yes, Lloyd, I do some dry camping, and want to be able to go 2 or 3 days without too much charging. We haven't done a lot since we got this camper, it has a few more amenities, so we'll see how it goes. We are all LED lighting and gas fridge, and we don't need or use very much power.
I just prefer to go as long as possible without firing up the generator.
I did get a real nice battery monitor, recommended by someone on here. I haven't connected it yet, as I want to mount it near the switch panel, near the center of the RV. I'll need to drop the coroplast to route wires, and waiting til the snow is gone before I do that.
That'll give me a chance to see what the 'Arctic Package' really is as well. I'll probably add some insulation while I'm in there, but that is another post.