Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2019, 06:40 AM   #1
Site Team

Adding a fire place

I’m considering using up some of our storage space for a fire place.
I know some of you have installed them in your RV. I’m curious as to where you purchased yours and what some of the physical dimensions are. Also, if you have run into any problems with the unit after the install. Are you happy with it, or do you wish you hadn’t done it?
I’ve done some looking around here at what local dealers have to offer, but I’m just not finding what I think they should be in regards to size. I would like to have a bigger and better selection to look at.

Any thoughts/ideas or suggestions are welcome and greatly encouraged.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 08:56 AM   #2
Site Team

Have you searched through the posts where owners have removed fireplaces to see if any of them still have the one they removed? I remember seeing a few of those posts before.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2022: 3 trips, 18 nights in 4 states, 2352 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 5336 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 09:43 AM   #3
Site Team

I didn't find anything recent. That is the reason for the post.
Old 12-29-2019, 10:17 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Lloyd
Some of the home improvement stores like Home Depot & Lowes carry electric fireplaces this time of year...Have you checked to see if any of those would fit your fancy...???

PS...hope you and your family are enjoying the holidays...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 01:06 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
I didn't find anything recent. That is the reason for the post.
Loyd
We have one in the redwood and one we installed in a cabinet in the house
Dont have th exact measurements but could get them if you like. They are no more than 6" deep. Check online as there are a lot to choose from to find the dimensions that will work for you
Old 12-29-2019, 01:42 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyT View Post
Lloyd
Some of the home improvement stores like Home Depot & Lowes carry electric fireplaces this time of year...Have you checked to see if any of those would fit your fancy...???

Thanks Tommy. I have done a little on checking Lowes. Can't remember if they had one that was close or not.
I've done enough looking that it's all running together now.

PS...hope you and your family are enjoying the holidays...
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodwalker View Post
Loyd
We have one in the redwood and one we installed in a cabinet in the house
Dont have th exact measurements but could get them if you like. They are no more than 6" deep. Check online as there are a lot to choose from to find the dimensions that will work for you

Shane, thanks but no need for you to get any measurements from yours.
Without doing a bigger alteration then I really want to, I'm pretty limited on the height.
There is only 17 in. for height where I want to locate it.
I was trying to avoid dismantling the opening, but I might have to.
Old 12-29-2019, 01:58 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

When I installed mine in 2008, it went under my TV cabinet. I was lucky in that I already had an opening there and once I removed the doors where it was going and removed the cabinet stile, it slipped right in. Mine is a Dimplex sitting in a 26"W X 25" tall opening. I did run a new circuit from the panel for it. Haven't had any issues with it all all. Occasionally I run it all night.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 05:10 PM   #8
Site Team

Lloyd, if you look on Amazon, they have a nice selection. Maybe one will fit your needs.

We love ours and would never give it up. This way, the heat is on the campgrounds bill.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 06:25 AM   #9
Site Team

Thanks Mark. You are right. Amazon does have a nice selection. To be truthful, I was trying to avoid them. I have acquired some what of an aversion for Amazon lately.

Might have to bite the bullet tho, they seem to have what I'm looking for.

I guess I have time to do a lot of looking before the weather and temps are warm enough to be working out there.

Nice to fill the winter time frame with thoughts and plans of mods for the warmer weather tho.
Old 12-30-2019, 08:00 AM   #10
Seasonal Camper

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/searc...places&Submit=

https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=fireplaces

If you want to avoid Amazon< I've had good luck with RVupgrades and Etrailer
Reese DC
hondavalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 06:56 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondavalk View Post
https://www.rvupgradestore.com/searc...places&Submit=

https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=fireplaces

If you want to avoid Amazon< I've had good luck with RVupgrades and Etrailer

Thanks. I never gave etrailer a thought.
Old 01-02-2020, 03:57 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

I ordered one from Directfireplace.com and have been very happy with it. I put it in my wood burning fireplace in the house and the electric heater keeps the living room warm. It is the same unit my trailer has in it.
Gregpriddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 06:03 PM   #13
Family Vacation Member

Hi Lloyd. Having a fireplace in the trailer is an added benefit especially in Spring and Fall camping just to add a little heat to break the chill and a little ambiance in the evening.

Mine is built into it's own cabinet, which rotates between kitchen and bedroom. The reason I had to take it out was because of the screws holding the cabinet to the lazy-Susan's came loose and had to be fixed. You can see my post on that here as well.

I don't have the exact measurements but it is approx. ><4"-6" deep, 36"W, and 20"H. It will depend on how much room you have to spare in your trailer. If you have a wall that you can mount it in the major concern is depth and the rest is up to what else is on the wall. Sometimes there is a bookshelf that can be converted or a cupboard. These should give you plenty of room.

I have seen fireplaces at various hardware stores that have the same appearance as mine but not the same brand name. I think any one of them would work as they are all doing the same thing. Buying from an RV dealer will no doubt cost you a lot more.

The fireplace sits on a couple of 2x4's for support, outside frame is screwed to the edge of the cabinet and the decorative strip is clipped on to the front covering any gaps between fireplace and the wall. You just have to run 120V power to the box and plug it in. There are controls on the front panel and usually has a remote control with it as well.
Old 01-02-2020, 07:18 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregpriddy View Post
I ordered one from Directfireplace.com and have been very happy with it. I put it in my wood burning fireplace in the house and the electric heater keeps the living room warm. It is the same unit my trailer has in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakherder View Post
Hi Lloyd. Having a fireplace in the trailer is an added benefit especially in Spring and Fall camping just to add a little heat to break the chill and a little ambiance in the evening.

Mine is built into it's own cabinet, which rotates between kitchen and bedroom. The reason I had to take it out was because of the screws holding the cabinet to the lazy-Susan's came loose and had to be fixed. You can see my post on that here as well.

I don't have the exact measurements but it is approx. ><4"-6" deep, 36"W, and 20"H. It will depend on how much room you have to spare in your trailer. If you have a wall that you can mount it in the major concern is depth and the rest is up to what else is on the wall. Sometimes there is a bookshelf that can be converted or a cupboard. These should give you plenty of room.

I have seen fireplaces at various hardware stores that have the same appearance as mine but not the same brand name. I think any one of them would work as they are all doing the same thing. Buying from an RV dealer will no doubt cost you a lot more.

The fireplace sits on a couple of 2x4's for support, outside frame is screwed to the edge of the cabinet and the decorative strip is clipped on to the front covering any gaps between fireplace and the wall. You just have to run 120V power to the box and plug it in. There are controls on the front panel and usually has a remote control with it as well.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the input.
I've got a little time yet before the weather warms up enough to work on it. Hopefully by then I will have found one that will fit the hole I want to install it in.

Old 01-03-2020, 03:50 AM   #15
Weekend Camper

I gave You the wrong web site earlier https://www.electricfireplacesdirect.com/
Gregpriddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 11:27 AM   #16
Family Vacation Member

Just installed fireplace

I recently installed a fireplace in my 5th wheel. I have an older trailer, so there was a big cut out for an old style deep tv. I took out a little of my bathroom cabinet and flush mounted my tv on a swing out mount above the opening, then I put the fireplace in there. I did a little trim work, but was able to find one that fit pretty closely. I went with an electric one off of amazon. It is easy to check a lot of different ones on there and check the sizes. My cabinet has a lot of space behind the fireplace so I added a door and can use that space for storage now. It is a nice set up. I also added some led lights above the slide and can match the color of the lights to the fireplace, which has 3 different colors.

I have had some problems with amazon recently. I think they made some changes, but lately is seems to have gotten a lot better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fireplace.jpg (128.6 KB, 15 views)
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 quad cab diesel w/ 8' bed
Dallasrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 01:17 PM   #17
Full Time Camper

Dallasrules
Ruth I took my fire place out for more storage, but I must admit I like the look of your fireplace...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote