Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2010, 08:05 AM   #1
New Camper

Hello all,

I'm new to posting on the forums, but have been viewing for awhile, since we bought a new ZT29DS last July. These forums are very nice and friendly, by the way. Before this we had a Sunline and their forum was much the same---very helpful and neighborly.

Anyway, we're very happy withour trailerand now that I'm getting ready to bring it back to life for this camping season, I want to add a ladder. Was not factory installed. I have the ladder, standard Topline model that I was going to mount on our previous Sunline (but which we traded for the Zinger before I could do it), and am about ready to see if I can find enough reinforcement to add it. I have some ideas, which include trying to find studs from inside, near the sides of the rear picture window, but....

Has anyone attempted this, on any Zinger that did *not* come with one and which has the aluminum siding? The factory has told me that no reinforcement is built in if the ladder is not ordered with the trailer and this one came off the lot without one. I actually really only want it to hang the chair carrier on which my wife gave me (2 years ago!) but if I can mount it sturdily enough, I'd use it for occaisional trips to the roof.

Thanks in advance for any information!

Sincerely,

Charlie
Old 03-18-2010, 11:08 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

i would'nt mind having one either. if i was going to put one on my trailer i would probably take the paneling off inside the trailer and see where the studs are the add some 2"x8" s in between studs and mount the ladder to them. keep us posted with what you do. welcome to the forum. good people and good info here.

2000 ford f350 v10-2008 ford oem rims & tires

https://i647.photobucket.com/albums/u...cture451-1.gif

spinella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:01 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Welcome to the forum. I mounted the bottom of the ladder to the bumper this gives it a lot of support. Go close to window there is always a support around the edges or up the outside edge. I bought 2 extra sets of tube supports from e-bay. Mine is used a lot and have had no problems.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 03:13 AM   #4
New Camper

Thanks for the replies, Spinella and cwit.

I'm going to look into both suggestions! I never considered trying to add reinforcement if needed. Will have to see if the panelling could be removed. I'll try a stud finder from inside first I guess. And the space beside the picture window is close to the width of the ladder, so maybe I'll be lucky there.

Will advise how I made out when I get to doing it in the next few weeks. I'd have to seal the roof mounting also, so will need to pick up some of that Dicor or whatever roof sealant first, as I read somewhere silicone sealant shouldn't be used on the rubber roofing.

Charlie
Old 03-20-2010, 09:00 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

You heard right I use mine to check my slide roof and work on my vents. I also used the dicor as a thread sealant to seal the screw threads when going in the wall.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:43 AM   #6
New Camper

Well, I decided it will be too difficult to remove inner paneling and the space is about 6 inches too wide to mount the ladder on the vertical framing (no cross framing in anywhere near correct location) so I'm going to run 2 aluminum crosspieces from stud to stud on the outside and mount the ladder braces to that. Also plan to mount the bottom to the top of the bumper. I found an extruded aluminum door sill that looks pretty decent and seems sturdy enoughto use for the crosspieces. I'll let you all know how I make out.

Charlie
Old 04-13-2010, 02:38 AM   #7
New Camper

I finished with the ladder install and it came out really good I think. I'll try to search here for how to post pictures. Can't be too difficult?
Old 04-14-2010, 07:42 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

sounds good. looking foward to see & here how you did it.

2000 ford f350 v10-2008 ford oem rims & tires

https://i647.photobucket.com/albums/u...cture451-1.gif

spinella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:30 AM   #9
New Camper

Er,--- how do you post pictures? I couldn's seem to locate the instructions anywhere. Is it something simple that has to be done or clicked or.. ?

Thanks,

Charlie
Old 04-15-2010, 08:24 AM   #10
Site Team

I use Photo Bucket. You will have to open up an account. It's free. Then just load your pics to them and from there to the forum.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 03:11 AM   #11
New Camper

I'll try this and see if it works:

Pictures>>>

http://pbckt.com/sZ.NKZS

The aluminum extrusion is a door sill from H.D. I screwed the pieces in at the ends with the screws (Exterior drywall type screws) angled outwards to make sure to catch the framing.

Measuring the top pieces to the roof slop was tricky but I found a way to do it easily..let me know if you want me to try to describe how. And with the supports, this required shortening the wall bracing tubes, which was another 'mod' to the ladder (you have to push the inside threaded retainers down further into the tube before cutting them to the new length!)

This is a Topline ladder, about 100$ and I eliminated the hinges that come standard with it, and mounted it to the top of the bumper as you can see.

Charlie
Old 04-16-2010, 07:41 AM   #12
Site Team

Looks like you got both projects figured out and completed.
Looks nice. Good job!!

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:23 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

Nice job, like the ladder. Looks great.