Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2019, 09:56 AM   #1
Full Time Camper

Adding Second AC to travel trailer..Anyone done this

Hey out there,

I have a 32BH prepped for second AC (50 amp, sensor, etc).. Anyone add a second and if so, what unit did you go with? I have my trailer in storage right now and pricing out units before Spring price jumps kick in.

The heart of my question is whether the Crossroads “Prep” includes a line to my thermostat (which is setup for two units) or if they “cheaped out” and just ran a 110 box only...

I do have the sensor cover on the wall near the head of the bed...don’t know if there is anything in there though...

Bottom line is there are multiple versions of each model (low and normal profile units). First, I don’t know if I need ducted vs non ducted. I assume the second unit doesn’t tie into the existing duct system, but not I’ve not seen a two unit setup.
The cheaper one uses the simple all in one ceiling setup where you control it from the panel and the more expensive version has the board to connect to existing thermostat.

Any help appreciated. I plan on doing this myself since the two dealers I’ve been to for repairs both didn’t realize my roof wasn’t walkable...so I’m better off just doing it myself and not have a issues down the road and save myself about 400 bucks.

Any help appreciated.

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 12:56 PM   #2
Weekend Camper

I have a 2017 SS26 that's prepped for the second A/C unit. When I researched adding it, I was told that the second unit is not tied into the thermostat and is not ducted. Adjusting it is a manual operation.
Reese StraightLine WD w/dual cam sway control
Delillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 01:33 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Thanks for the reply,

Funny you should say, I called Crossroads yesterday, gave them my trailer vin and they told me..the complete opposite. Yes, it is wired for the thermostat and yes it is ducted.

I'm with you on this one. I have a sensor cover in the bedroom wall however I don't think anything is behind the wall. Also, everything I've read of DIYers is that you don't want to mess with the existing ducting.

I guess I'll have to to wait till it's out of winter storage to move on a purchasing a unit. Thanks again.and stay tuned

Old 02-13-2019, 07:03 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

We added a 13.5 unit to our front bedroom. It was the same make as our main ac unit. They recommend not mixing makes to ensure compatibility. Both are controlled from the thermostat and are assigned zones. I don't recall the cost, but it was more than I expected. Here in KS it is necessary to have 2 ac's in a large trailer, even in the shade. What I would do different is to research a unit with electric heat as well as cooling, it would have come in handy many times the last two seasons and saved us some propane.
fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 02:27 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioMark View Post
Thanks for the reply,

Funny you should say, I called Crossroads yesterday, gave them my trailer vin and they told me..the complete opposite. Yes, it is wired for the thermostat and yes it is ducted.

I'm with you on this one. I have a sensor cover in the bedroom wall however I don't think anything is behind the wall. Also, everything I've read of DIYers is that you don't want to mess with the existing ducting.

I guess I'll have to to wait till it's out of winter storage to move on a purchasing a unit. Thanks again.and stay tuned

I can think of a lot of reasons to go ducted. Mainly the fan doesn't run all the time. The cover on the wall is where the temp sensor for that room is wired in. It has the main sensor in the control panel and a second where the second ac is. You can set 2 different temps that way.
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 07:34 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

If your rig is like mine the main ac is ducted. The second one will not be. We can close the ducts into the bedroom and utilize more of the main ac unit's output for the rest of the rv. We set the temp cooler in zone 2 (the bedroom) and it will run enough to keep us comfortable when we get those 90 and 100 degree nights.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:48 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireguy View Post
If your rig is like mine the main ac is ducted. The second one will not be. We can close the ducts into the bedroom and utilize more of the main ac unit's output for the rest of the rv. We set the temp cooler in zone 2 (the bedroom) and it will run enough to keep us comfortable when we get those 90 and 100 degree nights.

Model? Year?

Old 02-15-2019, 08:38 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

It is in my signature.
2016 32RE

Rear entertainment. Nice living room with fireplace, theater seating, televator from the fireplace cabinet, and front bedroom. Probably the same frame as you have.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:56 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Quote:
It is in my signature.
2016 32RE

Rear entertainment. Nice living room with fireplace, theater seating, televator from the fireplace cabinet, and front bedroom. Probably the same frame as you have.

Thanks. Yeah sorry for asking. I use the Tapatalk mobile and sigs don’t show up. Yep. Same box and frame.

Old 02-15-2019, 01:05 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

So to bring this full circle, I realized I'll probably have to go non-ducted with its own discrete controller. I have a Champion 3400 watt inverter generator and there is no way I can start/run both AC units if I dry camp. Only other option shut off the breaker on the bedroom unit so only one unit is running when hooked up to the generator.

Also, called Coleman and spoke with a technician. I'm not completely surprised, but it appears Crossroads installed a single zone thermostat (cheaper) on the trailers with the second AC prep option. That means there is a sensor in the bedroom but without upgrading the thermostat, there is no way to setup dual zones.

Old 02-16-2019, 06:02 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

I don't have much faith in some of these auto and rv techs knowing what they are talking about. I can send you some pics if you want to pm me your number. My Reserve was completely ready for the second ac, wires run to where the vent was and a compatible thermostat. My rig is only 30 feet from the house if you want to compare the two.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:28 PM   #12
Family Vacation Member

I installed a 2nd ac in my Seville. It was prewired and prepped by crossroads at the factory. I removed the rain vent and set on the ac unit. It could have tied it into the ductwork the crossroads had routed form the living area to the bedroom. Instead I chose to tape it over and let the ac discharge the cold air right into the bedroom. It is unlikely that anyone can sleep with a 13500 btu unit running right over their head so the theory is run only to cool off the area and then let the main unit run using the ceiling ducted discharge while you are sleeping. This negates the need for a dual zone thermostat and you just use the stat that comes on the unit and run the second unit only till you go to sleep.
Jeffur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 08:22 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

Thanks for all the info

Old 03-06-2019, 05:52 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

Update

So. I drove out to storage Sunday to check my trailer. So. I do not have a second sensor in the bedroom however I pulled the vent shroud and there is a hot dedicated 110v line and a vent interface to the main AC as well as a 4 wire thermostat feed that is terminated in the wall behind the thermostat.

Based on what I’ve read here and other forums we’re going with the Atwood non ducted setup. It comes with a nice interface in the ceiling and wireless remote.

Question. Anyone have opinions on opting for the additional heat pump version ?

Old 03-06-2019, 02:35 PM   #15
Family Vacation Member

Nice option, but don’t get the electric heat strip as these have led to fire
Old 03-06-2019, 02:37 PM   #16
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffur View Post
Nice option, but don’t get the electric heat strip as these have led to fire

Not clear on your comment. Why would I get a heat strip if It has a heat pump?

Old 03-07-2019, 05:10 PM   #17
Family Vacation Member

There a huge price differential on the two. It may be part of the sales pitch
Old 03-07-2019, 07:37 PM   #18
Full Time Camper

62 bucks diff for the heat pump. I buy direct from wholesalers. I don’t bother with parts departments at dealers and install myself. Would pay for itself fall/spring camping with propane in about two years.

Old 03-16-2019, 08:21 PM   #19
Weekend Camper

I saw somewhere that the heat pumps don't work below 40 degrees. When you need it to make heat it can't.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:27 PM   #20
Full Time Camper

Quote:
I saw somewhere that the heat pumps don't work below 40 degrees. When you need it to make heat it can't.

I know. We rarely camp below 40. Frankly I hope to not ever camp below 40. You get near freezing in these travel trailers and the humidity buildups in in the trailer and even in the walls when you heat them up. Not good.

However we will use it on many a Spring and Fall evening here. The 60 or so bucks upcharge for the heat pump will pay for itself in propane in about two seasons.