Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2010, 02:14 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Has anyone added shock absorbers to their trailer? If so have you noticed a significant reduction in trailer movement? Lately we have arrived at our destination with evidence that there has been a lot of movement within the trailer while driving. The couch almost always moves several feet from where it started and several of the kitchen chairs have shifted and/or become dislodged for the travel hooks.
i was thinking of getting a local shop to add some shock absorbers this spring and wanted to ask the forum if anyone has done something similar.

Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 03:48 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

I added shocks to my previous 5th wheel (2005 Jazz 2780BH) and it did make somewhat of an improvement, howeverI findthe EquaFlex on my CF32BL gives a much better ride and handling and in my opinion is superior to shocks. I am not surehow much of an improvement you would see if you were to add shocks to the existing EquaFlex set up. I also upgraded to 16" Wheels and Tires and this added considerably to the stability of the Cruiser when towing.I have noticed that if I store any heavy objects in the rear of the trailer that they do tend to bounce around a bit but the couch and chairs have never moved.

2008 Cruiser CF32BL

2004 GMC 2500HD 4X4 CC SB 8.1 Gasser / Allison. Tuning by Westers...
62dno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 04:08 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I have the same unit as you do have had no problems with furniture movement. I think I would check the tire balance on your tires. Out of balanced wheels can create a lot of vibrations that can move a lot of stuff. My Equa-Flex was an option on my unit. Check and see if it is on your unit if not it is worth the investment

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 04:47 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

I agree with the idea to check tire balance. I was shopping for tires a few months ago and one dealer was surprised I wanted them balanced. He said he never balances trailer tires . Needless to say I didn't go back to him.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:05 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

I also agree with the tire balance. It will put less stress on the Equa-Flex system. Tires that are out of balance create a vibration that then lets things like the couch to move. I added the balance beads to my tires as the brake drums on trailers do not appear to have been balanced. When I was correcting a brake problem I could not find any machining that was done to balance the drums. The beads should take care of this. I have a 5th wheel Cruiser 26RK 2010 and I can put a plastic empty glass on the rear cabinet top and most of the time it is still there when I get where I am going. That is if I have not had to do any extreme manuvers do to crazy drivers.
rcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:10 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Iagree balance tires but the equa-flex was the best thing I ever did for a smoother ride.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:13 AM   #7
New Camper

I have a '06 cf30sk with equlizers and no shocks. I think it really rides smoth, as once I forgot and left a small digital clock on the tv shelf in the bedroom and after a 100 miles or so it was still there, ticking away.......handy hank
handyhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 12:34 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

I had not heard of balance beads before. It sounds like a novel way of ensuring that the entire brake drum / wheel / tire assembly is balanced.
Has anybody else tried using them?

Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:42 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucklehead
I had not heard of balance beads before. It sounds like a novel way of ensuring that the entire brake drum / wheel / tire assembly is balanced.
Has anybody else tried using them?

I haven't tried them, but I'm going to when I put new tires on this spring.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:53 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Ill have to check again, but I think my 30sk alreadyhas shocks, would that be unusual?

06 F350 KR PS CC SRW

...Wish we were camping...
cowboy_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:56 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to Jersey Guy
This is my 3rd 5th wheel, 1st with the Equa-Flex, and it is by far the best trailer as far as ride is concerned. I have a clock hanging on the wall and never have to remove it for travel.

2008 CF32BL
Jersey Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:03 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

No it would mot be unusal, my 06 Zinger had nothing than i 07 they brought out the Equa-Flex, and I installed it on the Zinger. When we bought the 08 it was an option. If I had to guess, and I am I would say that on the 07 the shocks were an option

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:05 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

On our maiden voyage home with the camper I too was impressed to see the small plastic flower vase still standing on the rear end table where I had forgotten to remove it still with all the flowers in it.............then I discovered it was artificial flowers in the vase that was velcrowed to the table......

06 F350 KR PS CC SRW

Old 02-01-2010, 07:10 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

hey Frank, I just checked...4 shocks, one @ each wheel....hmm...Hope thats a good thing...lol

06 F350 KR PS CC SRW

Old 02-01-2010, 08:16 AM   #15
Full Time Camper

Ii would have to say that is a good thing