Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2019, 04:00 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Aftermarket Awning LED

2017 Sunset Trail 290QB

We have the typical burned out LED strip in our Solara awning roller. Looking to install a blue strip instead, on the camper under the awning.
Anyone do this? Able to connect power somewhere without drilling?
Sorry, I have been digging through old posts and don't see anything similar.

What brand lights did you buy?
paguy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 05:20 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

I'm planning something similar, BUT . First I haven't received my LED's as there coming by slow boat from China, and a few measurements in my photo might be off a tad, but I am mostly speculating but I also only want to do this once. NOW I ordered LED Waterproof rating IP68, which I think is a silicone type square tube protection, so I suspect 3M will not adhere very well if at all. BUT I might be able to use glue gun with Gorilla sticks, they say there the best. If that works then simple enough, just glue gun to the bottom of the awning channel that is attached to the trailer. BUT. I am planning for plan B incase all else fails, starting with a 1.25 inch angle aluminum and make a channel to completely hold the LED.s across the 15.5 feet just under the awning. This channel will be 3M to the trailer and I'll still put an occasional screw about every 18 inches to also assist with the hold. I made a photo to give an ideal as to my thinking to hold up the led's. I also plan to wire to my 12V system and will extend my wire from the LED's about 5 feet, and plug into my controller which will be hidden somewhere behind where the fridge area is wher I have another 12V battery bus . Then from there I'll just make another tiny hole for the infared for the remote in the outside fridge vent grate/grill. Kinda what my plan is but things can change, mostly on what sticks to my light string. My #1 thinking is that light string is facing 90 miles per hour wind with water, sooner or later, so what will it take to keep them there? Trust me, I'm also open to suggestions ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scan.jpg (50.9 KB, 29 views)
Old 07-18-2019, 04:50 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Can you see where the current LED draws its power from? Typically I've seen any/all wiring to the awning run down the awning arms... you might be able tap into the wire in the arm channel and run a small piece up under the awning to the new LED. That is how mine was run from the factory

12v Power is already supplied to the awning led and motor already right? .. you just need to tap into it.
priest6479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 07:17 PM   #4
TDG
Seasonal Camper

Led strip lights

Try looking at these. ABS Channel Ebay
Along with 3M. VHB (very high bond )double sided tape
No drilling required
Also you can use GEOCEL clear adhesive sealer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190718-181238_eBay.jpg (97.5 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190718-181303_eBay.jpg (94.1 KB, 23 views)

2013 Jefferson
2006 Chev 3500 DRW
2009 Corvette
Tony & Joanne
Full Time
TDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 07:28 PM   #5
TDG
Seasonal Camper

Lights

Forgot a pic of the Geocel
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190718_182322.jpg (132.6 KB, 20 views)

2013 Jefferson
2006 Chev 3500 DRW
2009 Corvette
Tony & Joanne
Full Time
Old 08-07-2019, 09:28 PM   #6
Seasonal Camper

Thank to TDG for the link of the LED channel for installation. This channel I ordered ( https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) should work perfectly as my LED have a silicone waterproof rating of IP68 and of course nothing sticks to silicone, and my LED's are 12mmx4mm and fit lovely in the channel. I just started today with placing/hanging the channel and still waiting on some extra 4 color wire for my electrical end, as I'm using my DC power as my power source, but everything else arrived today, ( https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) (https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 )so first things first and time to get some channel up. I might get some flack but am mounting the channel with a dab of silicone every 4 inches then wait for that to set then 8 hours later hang another channel. The channel comes with some tiny clips but I just don't have enough faith that they'll hold on enough when traveling 60MPH bucking a 20MPH wind. I know the silicone will and can hang the channels perfectly straight making these lights easier to install in the channel, as there isn't much room for error afterwards when placing the crystal shades while the
led's are being put in. I'll post a pic when complete, and should look very cool with the blue ambient lighting already installed under the skirt.
Old 08-09-2019, 12:40 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Bowler304
Found it.

http://www.crossroadsowners.com/foru...tml#post131981
Tow Vehicle - 2017 F250 Platinum 6.2 4:30 gear
Travel Trailer - Sunset Trail Super Lite ST290QB
Color : Enzo
Dry Weight 5,774 - Actual weight 6,767
Bowler304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 03:06 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

So I can place an Led strip under the awning on the against the camper and tie it into the 12v supply that originally went to the strip on the awning roller. However, I could only use a single color. RGB kits with remotes come with controllers that aren't waterproof. Not sure where I would mount that.
Old 10-20-2019, 06:21 PM   #9
Site Team

This link may help you.

https://www.ecolocityled.com/categor...of-led-control

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 07:00 PM   #10
TDG
Seasonal Camper

Try to find one with black PCB.
White turns. Brown

2013 Jefferson
2006 Chev 3500 DRW
2009 Corvette
Tony & Joanne
Full Time
Old 10-20-2019, 07:47 PM   #11
Seasonal Camper

Since my last post the dabs of silicone failed and used 3M extra strength double sided tape to hold the channels to stick them to the trailer fiberglass side, and initially used the remote control controller, that worked awesome on the bench, but never worked after everything was installed on the trailer, and couldn't find the problem and threw that method in the garbage then installed a hard wired touch slide controller which I was able to mount in a nice convenient spot in the outside kitchen. Like every time a person starts one of those little 2 hour projects on the trailer, it usually takes a couple days but at the end of the project we all want it to work every time and trouble free. I know for myself wiring the controller in the outside kitchen wasn't overly complicated as previous mods made chasing wires relatively easy due to my access through the upper fridge vent etc, and never leave wire visible. I also had to make a frame for the touch pad as I wasn't overly confident vibrasion wouldn't shake it off the wall without a little more meat to attach it to the wall. https://www.amazon.ca/LPD-Controller...620398&sr=8-28