Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2019, 09:58 PM   #1
Seasonal Camper

Ambient LED lights

Well finally the weather allowed for a little play time on the trailer, so got the blue LED's added to the skirt. Took 3 days but figured it would be a fair amount of crawling around. First day wasn't to busy or very long, but started on the hitch where I placed 3 led's and also chased my wires for my fuse and switch, 2nd day was the left side and placed 8 led's. These I installed different as you can see the led's, as there not placed as ambient lighting. 3rd day did the left side and placed 13 led's. These are placed a tad didderently so not to see the led's and create ambient light. Anyways I took a couple pictures of the blue led's, they look very sharp but not to sure about the pictures. I also received my momentary normal closed switches for the closets so the light goes on when you open the door. Apparently newer trailers come with that feature, or so I was told, but sure makes it nice to see.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01555.jpg (215.5 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01556.jpg (207.6 KB, 53 views)
Old 04-14-2019, 09:02 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

Looks great, what did you use for lights? Where did you mount the lights on the right side? I like how yours turned out.

I had used led strip lights on the frame, but I'm not happy with the look. I got some LED rock lights, but haven't mounted them yet.

Marty

2017 Sunset Trail Superlite 289QB
2016 Escalade

Custom73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 01:49 PM   #3
Seasonal Camper

I bought 30 blue LED's from Ebay ( https://www.ebay.ca/itm/10X-12V-DC-S...y/232952578521 ) What I did for the right side was mount the led on a piece of 5/8''angle iron aluminum so they are mounted on and hidden behind that, then this is mounted just on the bottom of the skirt with the little bolts that were supplied with the lights. Being the design of my skirt I had to mount my lights behind a angle iron to create an ambient light for the right side. The left side I wasn't as concerned by the lights being visible as I don't sit on that side. There were 24 lights total used, 3 to the hitch hidden out of sight, 8 on left side about 4' space, and 13 on right side about 2' space.. All lights are hooked parallel positive and negative with the cord using 16AWG extension cord as I wanted a beefier cord to resist the elements and all the fasteners to attach under the skirt. The lights have an independent fuse and a waterproof switch which is mounted up front where the 12V kill switch box is mounted. I will tell you it was a fair amount of work and I used lots of odds and end hardware to achieve my final product but it's always easier to do it overkill the first time. Where the lights are spaced 2', I have another fastener in between at 1 foot so the cord isn't flopping around with washers and another bolt and nut. same as on all the 4' spacings. Also note that these 24 total led's have a drew of exactly .5Amps, which is miniscule in my opinion. Lets put it another way, after changing out all the incandescent lights throughout the trailer I can turn on every light in the trailer and still be under what it use to be.
Old 04-21-2019, 03:00 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

They look great. Did you put them on a dimmer for a little extra mood lighting and control?
donee11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 04:15 PM   #5
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by donee11 View Post
They look great. Did you put them on a dimmer for a little extra mood lighting and control?
No. I was actually more concerned about not having enough light rather than too much. But think it'll be just fine when the awning is out and the string of patio lights is also on. The awning lights clip to the awning flap that hangs down. This Christmas was able to find some blue bulbs for that string of AC patio lights that were always clear up to now.
Old 04-21-2019, 07:08 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceallenk View Post
I bought 30 blue LED's from Ebay ( https://www.ebay.ca/itm/10X-12V-DC-S...y/232952578521 ) What I did for the right side was mount the led on a piece of 5/8''angle iron aluminum so they are mounted on and hidden behind that, then this is mounted just on the bottom of the skirt with the little bolts that were supplied with the lights. Being the design of my skirt I had to mount my lights behind a angle iron to create an ambient light for the right side. The left side I wasn't as concerned by the lights being visible as I don't sit on that side. There were 24 lights total used, 3 to the hitch hidden out of sight, 8 on left side about 4' space, and 13 on right side about 2' space.. All lights are hooked parallel positive and negative with the cord using 16AWG extension cord as I wanted a beefier cord to resist the elements and all the fasteners to attach under the skirt. The lights have an independent fuse and a waterproof switch which is mounted up front where the 12V kill switch box is mounted. I will tell you it was a fair amount of work and I used lots of odds and end hardware to achieve my final product but it's always easier to do it overkill the first time. Where the lights are spaced 2', I have another fastener in between at 1 foot so the cord isn't flopping around with washers and another bolt and nut. same as on all the 4' spacings. Also note that these 24 total led's have a drew of exactly .5Amps, which is miniscule in my opinion. Lets put it another way, after changing out all the incandescent lights throughout the trailer I can turn on every light in the trailer and still be under what it use to be.
That's not very nice
I dont sit on that side so dont care what they look like
What about your neighbor that has to look at them
I like the ones you did on the door side
Old 04-21-2019, 08:37 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

Very cool. If could shoot a pic of your mount under the skirt, that would be great. They look awesome.
IABAGBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 12:13 AM   #8
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodwalker View Post
That's not very nice
I dont sit on that side so dont care what they look like
What about your neighbor that has to look at them
I like the ones you did on the door side
There not spotlights that light up the whole neighborhood. Plus where we camp and park I say good luck at a neighbor ever seeing them if there even is a neighbor, too many trees between spots lol... Next ask yourself what a large semi trailer looks like that has lots of markers added to there trailer, they look pretty cool, so I'm pretty sure not to many livit neighbors will come by to complain that blue isn't there color and ask me to turn out the lights.. BUT if they do, guess what ? There on a switch !!!
Old 04-22-2019, 02:21 PM   #9
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by IABAGBOY View Post
Very cool. If could shoot a pic of your mount under the skirt, that would be great. They look awesome.
The first two are on the right side mounted on and behind a piece of angle aluminum, so there hidden behind the material creating the ambient light, the 3rd is on the left side mounted directly onto the skirt. i never took a picture of the very front 3 hidden inside the V of the hitch, but there just up high enough from the bottom to be out of sight. also using angle aluminum to mount them so there pointed downward.. Not sure if my pics turned out good enough to see the angle aluminum there mounted too. Hope it helps though..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01559.jpg (170.2 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01557.jpg (145.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01558.jpg (161.4 KB, 13 views)
Old 04-24-2019, 08:47 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

Thanks a lot. I love the idea.
Chad
IABAGBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 10:04 PM   #11
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by IABAGBOY View Post
Thanks a lot. I love the idea.
Chad
Your welcome, but I also got the ideal from another gentleman on this sight and believe they'll be awesome while out camping. I was going to mention that this whole setup was actually quite inexpensive, as I bought a few thing from AliExpress over the winter and bought a multiple of some things for a few projects all at the same time, hence the reason shopping AliExpress from in Canada. I used an old 100' extension cord from home as I have about 10 to many as it was, bought waterproof switches to have a few extra also on hand, fuse holders and a box of multi size fuses, again needed 4 fuses this spring for different reasons, these were cheaper from AliXpress and needed for so many reasons anytime your adding a light or anything DC on a trailer and handi like sliced bread, galvanised strapping which everyone keeps in the shop, and about 60 electrical end caps. I suppose at the end of the day my cost was $50-70 bucks and a few enjoyable days putzing on the trailer. Guaranteed everyone will do there own setup different for different reasons. My skirting was reason for angle aluminum, one light at a time, and goal was 24'' spacing give or take a couple inches, and also wanted inside the wheel wells to be somewhat uniform. Yea it was a fun project, and would definitely do it again if a person ever changed trailer. PLUS silicone where the wires come out of your LED clusters, I did mine twice then on the 2nd silicone I attached the LED to the angle aluminum with there nut and bolt. that way when I went to attach them to the trailer they were stuck together as a unit rather than trying to handle 2 seperate pieces. When you start you might need 3 hands, but by time your half done your a pro and can do it with one hand and your eyes closed, lol..
Old 05-24-2019, 06:35 PM   #12
Seasonal Camper

Aceallenk,

Congratulations, you finally bit the bullet and got under your rig. The result is awesome, we should go into business....Hee hee.

I just hope you don't park too near any UFOlogists, they might report you to project Blue Book.

Are you going to put the white ones on your stairs?

Happy camping.
Biggles607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 11:12 PM   #13
Seasonal Camper

''Biggles607'' I might order a 6 or 12 pack of white for the stairs/etc/future, the DC power is right there now and would only take a hour. Those little lights in white would have also worked great in closets but hinesight is always 20/20, but my closets are mostly done now with some other 12cluster that worked awesome and Momma bear will even get a surprise that a few darker cupboards are now brighter too, lol... But she'll find that out when we go camping and watching the chuck wagon races in a couple weeks.