Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2012, 01:58 PM   #1
Seasonal Camper

Just finished this quick mod to my 2013 ST22BH.
I did it because the battery is so far behind the LP tanks and tucked into a cubby of the front cap that is was hard to get to the box to undo the cables when in storage.
So I went to NAPA and got a cut off switch, I think about $8 and then to the hardware store for a metal junction box and a cover with just the center hole.
I hogged out the hole a bit, drilled a spot for the screws and attached the switch from the backside.
Another pc. of wire and I was set.

Total cost, about $12.
Total time, about an hour.

I think it will pay off..

I attached the chain and split ring to the key because with this switch when you turn it off it kicks the key out. Then I won't loose it. The switch comes with an extra key also.

mnsunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:59 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Send a message via MSN to tator447

MN,
Mine is the same way, battery tucked way behind the tanks. I have a quick disconnect on it but I would love to put this in. How heavy was the wire you used to connect it up to the battery terminals?

Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
2013 Crusier CF34SS GMC 3500 8.1L Dually
154 nights in 2013 - 4,370 miles
178 nights in 2014 - 5,082 miles
365 nights in 2015 - 6,040 miles
tator447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:47 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

I used a 12 volt battery cable from NAPA. Fits both the battery terminal and the switch nice with a good crimp that way.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:48 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

bought similar swicth at o'rielys and bought a 6 guage 49 inch battery cable at wlmart auto center,took one side off battery and enlarged hole and placed on cutoff sw,put the battery cable from walmart on the othe side of switch and then to the battery. was differnt othrwise due to 5er

2011 cf285rl patriot cruiser

07 dodge cummings
joescuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:00 PM   #5
Seasonal Camper

Just out of curiosity, I read about this a lot, Why would one want a cut off switch? I have left my camper all summer and winter hooked up to the batteries without issues.. Recently i have been taking out my batteries in the winter and placing them in the basement. The only thing i can think of is the propane/carbon detector still runs, But that is about it i think and that draws so little current that it will last more than a year on the coach battery. Just curious, i read about installing them, Not much on the reasons why? And if you forget to turn on that switch the emergency brakes will not activate.

2005 Cruiser

2001 F250 7.3

danskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:08 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Dan,
I guess I would have to say my experience has been that leaving the battery connected hasn't been a problem, with my first concern is the battery is going to be ruined by complete draining on many cycles(Sulfanated?) Of course, the tongue jack doesn't work after about a week, but once I hook it up to the TV, I can use the tongue jack. For my current RV (2011) and previous trailer, (2010), the parasitic battery drain would make the battery weak in about 3-4 days. Even my previous pop-up seems to go weak in about a week. At first I thought it might be simply the inverter/charger isn't recharging the battery, but when I disconnect shore power, and press the check battery button, the battery shows full.
Yeah, that my not be 100% accurate, but if I leave in connected for over a week with no power, it usually won't light any of the battery lights.
Between the CO2 detector, the Propane detector, the Stereo, antenna amp( if I forget to turn it off), and I believe the inverter also drains away power. There doesn't seem to be any easy way to determine what specifically is drawing down the battery. Most of the drains are so low they don't register on any amp meter, and even if you could determine which item was the major culprit, it's much easier to switch off the battery - and when you want to go, it's easy to turn on the battery shutoff - much easier than hooking up the hitch and WD bars!
I do remove the battery in Winter - and place in the house, and not on a concrete floor. Even then, most deep cycle batteries will be dead in about 1 1/2 months, so I put it on a battery maintainer-trickle charger.

2011 Sunset Trails 24RB

2012 Dodge RAM 1500 5.7Hemi
epjohnso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:35 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Thanks Ed.. Explained it well.. I was just wondering.My camper is plugged in so frequently i never gave this much thought. And when i travel it is only a couple days dry camping with two batteries, I never have bettery problems and have plenty of battery for the days i dry camp while i travel, And once i get there, Plug back in.

I also stick the batteries in the warm basement (I have two for dry camping ) And plug into a maintainer.. On the shelf.

2005 Cruiser

2001 F250 7.3

danskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:32 AM   #8
Seasonal Camper

Ed,
That is the exact reason I installed the cut off switch.
All I know is after about a week to 10 days the battery is pretty low.
(not a great battery I will admit!)

Old 09-04-2012, 02:24 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

I put one of the Battery Terminal disconnects in originally, and I don't like it. I'm currently in the process of wiring in the identical switch you have, because on a couple of occasions the stupid thing didn't make a good connection!
Thought the battery was dead, only to find out it was not making good contact.

I did have one of the small solar panels, a 5 watt unit to maintain the battery, however I'm worried it will over charge the battery and boil it dry. However, after doing that for the past couple of weeks, that hasn't worked very well.

My storage location doesn't have any place for power, so I have to watch the battery closely.

2011 Sunset Trails 24RB

2012 Dodge RAM 1500 5.7Hemi
epjohnso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:55 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

i got the $5 cutoff switch (black with red key) from Oreillys and the shortest battery cable they had. Put the switch between the two cables and hooked the short one back to the battery. Works perfect and easy install. Right now it just hands there on the stiff cables but I paln to mount it on the battery box.

2012 Cruiser Fifth Wheel

2007 Chevy Duramax
lrrwoodard is offline   Reply With Quote