Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2016, 07:41 PM   #1
Full Time Camper

Battery shut off switch Modification

This is a modification I did with my 5er. I purchased a shut off switch from Camping World. Since my battery is in the front large storage if I mounted it in there I would've had to lean in with half my body to shut off the battery switch. So I ran heavy duty battery cables from inside the large front storage to the side storage door. After hooking cables to the correct connections I put the cables each through 12" pieces of rubber hose to protect them from getting scraped or cut on the metal side wall and inserted the protected cables through two 1 1/2" holes I drilled from the large storage into the side storage. After hooking everything up; I can now open the side storage door and I have the switch at easy waist level reach. Just open the door and the switch is right there...................Switch mounted inside side storage ...............Second pic is wide view of switch mounted: . Last is pic of front storage where cables run from battery area through metal wall to side storage
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 06:19 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Nice! Very neat job.
Old 10-14-2016, 04:42 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Looks good great idea
Old 10-14-2016, 09:58 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Nice looking, good job! Like you, I'd be worried about the high-amperage cables going through the metal wall. The hoses on the cables are good, but look like there is still room for chafing. I'd also be looking for rubber or plastic grommets to fit inside the diameter of the metal hole, so that any rubbing is rubber to rubber/plastic, and not metal to anything. I've also used electrical tape around the hose, to build it up at the point of entry, then pulled tight so the pass-through point has no motion whatsoever. But then again, I can be pretty anal about this stuff, and the electrical tape "solution" doesn't look very good!
As it is, it should last about ten years! LOL
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 05:43 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

I see your point but when I installed and got everything tightened down there is absolutely no movement. You can move the cables down next to the battery but everything is locked tight up where they enter the holes and attach to the shut off switch on the other side. But as always; thanks for the advice and concern.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 07:37 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

I did the same thing a few years ago on my Cruiser. I purchased the battery switch from West Marine being a boat person. Yes, I hate going into that front compartment where my 2 group 27 batteries reside. My Battery switch is very accessible and saves much frustration not to mention no more dead batteries. I also made a 12 volt fuse panel inside that front compartment. Makes it very easy to install new 12 volt toys and necessities like my electric valve to control my black tank. Those original cable operated valves are a PITA.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:41 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzdr View Post
I also made a 12 volt fuse panel inside that front compartment. Makes it very easy to install new 12 volt toys and necessities like my electric valve to control my black tank. Those original cable operated valves are a PITA.
Sounds like a good idea. Do you have any pics you can post?
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 07:32 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

I setup my home made 12vdc fuse panel inside the front battery compartment because one does not need to access this very often. For greater easier access, one could install the fuse panel in the side compartment where my battery switch is found. This sure does simplify adding 12 vdc accessories.
Old 11-02-2016, 10:17 AM   #9
Seasonal Camper

I did a very similar mod to my Seville but put the switch high and to the left on the metal panel. I put a removable shelf above the battery (with the plan to maybe put in a second AGM battery at some point) so I could store my leveling blocks below and other stuff above.

We're out traveling at Hilton Head (no RV this trip) so I'll get some pictures when I get home & post (or at least try).
2021 Alliance Paradigm 365RD
WoodcarvingGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote