Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2010, 06:10 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

The bed platform on our 30SK broke in the middle of the night on our last camping trip of the season. It wasn't a total collapse, but we heard a big 'CRACK' and then a slight feeling of rolling toward the center of the bed. Upon inspection, we found that the top cross member had snapped and the piece attached to the wall below the window had pulled loose. My winter project has been to build a 2" thick torsion box bed frame. I am finished with the construction, but I am going to let the paint dry for about a month before installing it. The frame is very stout and I anticipate no more problems from the bed. Total cost was about $100 and it only weights about 10 lbs. more than the original platform. I'll try to post a pic when I have it installed.

Maggie Mae (Basset Hound)

2008 Ford F-250 CC 5.4l 3.73

2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot

Chazworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:42 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

sounds like a nice project. i'd like to see pictures when your done.

2000 ford f350 v10-2008 ford oem rims & tires

https://i647.photobucket.com/albums/u...cture451-1.gif

spinella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 03:03 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Could you post a picture of what the frame looks like now after construction and then another after installed???
Old 01-09-2010, 02:35 PM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Yeah, lets have a look? I need to do something with ours before we get going again this spring.

SOB 5er
lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 01:08 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Come spring I'm going to put a support nown the center of our bed as well as crossways. I will then put in 4 drawers in the sides. Need a better place for bed linens as well as dirty laundry.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 06:27 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

After we installed a residential mattress, we found the shocks were undersized. So, this weekend, we upgraded the shocks to 100lb versions and they are 6" longer. Major improvement in access to the bed storage!!

I got the shocks from RVTrader who works out of the AtomicMall.com. He was very helpful in helping me decide what I needed.

2008.5ish Kingston KF30SB

2008 Chevy 3500 dually
sheltieRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:20 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

SheltieRV, would you please post the numbers and names on the shocks. It's an upgrade that we need in our Cruiser, too.

Thank you
w&cferb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 01:21 AM   #8
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by w&cferb
SheltieRV, would you please post the numbers and names on the shocks. It's an upgrade that we need in our Cruiser, too.

Thank you

He is a small company (himself) and does not really have part numbers. They are 26" 100lb shocks. The guy's name is Mike you can email him at: rv-trader@clearwire.net. Tell him you want what he sent to Grant, he was very knowledgable and helpful. He sent us mounting hardware, but we used the existing ones. I left the platform brackets alone, but moved the plywood bed brackets about 3" forward. The shocks slipped right on the existing brackets (we have a ball socket on ours). It's amazing how much better the access is with that extra height (not to mention the mattress no longer tries to smash your back or fingers!).

2008.5ish Kingston KF30SB

2008 Chevy 3500 dually
sheltieRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:34 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

Thanks, Grant. We appreciate the info and will contact him for new shocks.
w&cferb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:06 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

I installed the platform today. It went in real easy and works great! Rock solid. The existing struts work just fine. The wife and I are really pleased. I don't have anywhere online to store a photo, so if anyone would like to take a look, you'll have to catch us while were camped.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:51 PM   #11
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazworth
I installed the platform today. It went in real easy and works great! Rock solid. The existing struts work just fine. The wife and I are really pleased. I don't have anywhere online to store a photo, so if anyone would like to take a look, you'll have to catch us while were camped.
Could you verbally describe what you did? Sounds interesting.

So far I've just added 2 supports from the floor to bottom of the plywood bed platform and that looks as if it will prevent a sag. I've found after adding a memory foam mattress topper that the stuts will not hold the plywood platform up.
pulpwood007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:32 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

If you are not familiar with a torsion box, do a search on the web for "torsion box" and you can see plenty of construction details. I made mine 2" thick using Poplar for the frame and a cheap construction plywood ($9.50/sheet) for the top, bottom, and the internal framework. I made it in two pieces. One is 12"L X 56"W and attached to the wall below the window and to the bed frame with pocket hole screws. The movable piece is 65"L X 56"W. I reused the continuous hinge and I attached a short length of 2X4 to the bottom on each side to attach the struts to. The entire assembly only added 10 to 15 lbs. to the bed surface, so the original struts work fine.

Old 04-11-2010, 08:42 AM   #13
Weekend Camper

We just returned from our first week long trip since installing the torsion box. WOW!! What a difference! I could definitely full time with this setup now. A great nights sleep every night.

Old 06-05-2010, 02:15 PM   #14
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazworth
If you are not familiar with a torsion box, do a search on the web for "torsion box" and you can see plenty of construction details.
WOW - I did look it up , and think you have probably taken your bed platform to a whole new level. A set of pictures during the construction process would have been great, and shown what I imagine a great deal of time involved. Congrats !

I just want to keep my bed from folding in the middle. On our first Cruiser I had to rebrace the plywood, and after only one night I know I am going to have to do it again to this one. Why Crossroads only stiffens that piece of plywood in just one direction (length) I do not know.

07 CF29RE

https://lh3.ggpht.com/_grVdWhdI6YA/TA...800/sigpic.jpg
tneagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 03:12 PM   #15
Full Time Camper

When we got our '07 30sk I bought a four footlong 2x2 angle iron at Lowes and attached it from side to side under the center of the bed platform to stiffen it. When we traded it for the 2010 30sk i removed the angle iron and put it under the new bed platform. Stiffened the platform very well.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 02:11 PM   #16
Weekend Camper

I am wondering if notching the edges of platform so I might put some (3) slats across for the the 2x2 bracing (the factory stapled on) to rest on would give the plywood the support it needs ?

tneagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:21 PM   #17
Family Vacation Member

Just finished fixing/upgrading our bed also. Our bed dropped 3/4" in the middle before the fix with out anyone on it. It is now flat and much better. Thanks for the fix/upgrade idea.

2004 Ford F350 Diesel

https://i627.photobucket.com/albums/t...30slbucket.jpg
dja29RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:03 PM   #18
Full Time Camper

I put 2 panels in side by side to hold platform. My wife took one look at it and said drawers for storage, so cut holes and added 4 drawers under bed. Now have level bed, no sag and more slide out storage.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote