Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2011, 09:33 AM   #1
Full Time Camper

While I like the extra storage space under the queen bed in the new models, I don't think the mattress support is up to the task long term. On my '04, the slide mechanism cover was the full height of the platform so it naturally provided extra support in the center of the bed. On the new model, there is a plywood seam in the center with a single 2x3 that is not supported anywhere, just the staples thru the plywood.

After just a few nights, I can see the 2x3 beginning to sag in the middle. Anyone else observed this problem? Anyone fixed it? I'm thinking about adding a cross brace or plywood partition to keep the 2x3 from sagging. Besides, it might be a good idea to use a partition to help keep things organized.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:28 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

I bought a four foot length of 2x2 perforated angle iron at Lowes and screwed it to the underside of the bed platform about half way down the lenght of the bed, from side to side. Took care of the sag and feeling like you were rolling to the center.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 11:29 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

You may have read my post on bed collapse in the Kingston section. I now have a Cruiser and the bed is the same set-up. The first mod I made on the cruiser was to remove the mattress and install screws about one foot apart in each 2 x 3. They are only held in with staples and on my Kingston every staple pulled out. I thought about adding one 2 x 4 support across the width of the bed in the center and fastening it to the side boards with 2 x 4 supports on both ends and the middle. However on my model Cruiser (CF325CKP) there is a hump right in the middle under the bed so a middle support is not possible.

2012 Cruiser CF325CKP

2010 Ford F-350 6.4 SB 4wd

W0CSC

Semper Fi 59-63
calliopeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:28 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by calliopeguy

You may have read my post on bed collapse in the Kingston section. I now have a Cruiser and the bed is the same set-up. The first mod I made on the cruiser was to remove the mattress and install screws about one foot apart in each 2 x 3. They are only held in with staples and on my Kingston every staple pulled out. I thought about adding one 2 x 4 support across the width of the bed in the center and fastening it to the side boards with 2 x 4 supports on both ends and the middle. However on my model Cruiser (CF325CKP) there is a hump right in the middle under the bed so a middle support is not possible.
Ken,

I have considered taking the entire plywood & 2x3 platform apart, then glue and screw it back together. But I'll try adding a support first. I'm thinking of adding a raised center section, maybe a 2x2 on each side of the "hump" with plywood glued between both 2x2's. This would keep the platform 2x3 from sagging, but not obstruct it's use for storage. But I need to take a better look at the problem after we get home next week.

11 Cruiser CF32MK
Old 05-19-2011, 01:55 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

On my 2010 29RK there is a piece of plywood running vertically on each side of the compartment that contains the slideout mechanism.

I simply attached 2 additional pieces of 3/4" plywood about 12" wide and tall enough to reach the bottom of the bed platform (2 pieces of each side). The center of the platform now rests of these 4 pieces and supports it great.

I felt anything attached to the platform itself that would increase the strength would add to the weight of the platform.

pulpwood007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 12:54 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Here is what I ended up doing. After removing the slide mechanism cover, I added 1x2 furring strips about 4-1/2 inches lower than the originals, the tops are even with the top of the mechanism. Then cut the cover into two pieces to fit in the lower position ( the gap in the middle doesn't matter since it rests directly on the top of the slide mechanism which is thick steel about 5 inches by 40 inches).

I then cut 3/8 inch thick plywood extensions, 7-1/2 inches tall and 44 inches long. Glued 1x1 strip along the bottom and notched the front to clear the bed support frame. These are screwed into the tops of the original partitions. Finally a scrap of 1x3 across the back, recessed 1-1/2 inches to clear the center 2x3 bed support.

Now the center of the mattress base is supported by the center plywood partitions and the 1x3. The center storage area is now 12 inches deep, not much less than the two side areas. I still need to add a small block across the back to hide the steel and aluminum frame and also round off the plywood corners at the back to make it easier using the back storage area. I used scrap lumber for everything except the furring strip and that cost $1.12 + tax.Edited by: Dayle1

11 Cruiser CF32MK
Old 06-30-2011, 03:30 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

The extra support is a definate improvement. We are not camping, but this week we had to use the fiver overnight while doing some work on our house. So, this was our first chance to check out the fix. The mattress stayed nice and flat while prior to this change, it would sag in the middle, at least 1 inch. And that was with just 20 nights use. I think if you don't have extra support for the mattress base now, then some point down the road you will have more work to fix this weakness.

11 Cruiser CF32MK
Old 06-30-2011, 12:19 PM   #8
Family Vacation Member

Good mod Larry.... I will have to check out the bed better on the 05.

https://i43.tinypic.com/rlz8tk.jpg

Life is too short not to live it as a Texan.
Texas1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 02:42 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Big thanks to Larry. We did a bunch of cleaning and maintenance on the trailer yesterday and one of my projects was this bed mod. It did not take that long and from what we can tell this has taken the middle sag out of our bed. I spent less than $10 for everything to do it.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:44 PM   #10
Seasonal Camper

after a seasons worth of camping our bed platform has started to sag. I purchased four 2x3s since thats what was used under there to begin with and this is what I put together. Haven't slept on it yet, but it seems very sturdy. It ended up being a bigger job than expected (like every other project I start) because the original bed support was in no way level in any direction. I usually compensated for that when leveling the trailer. I lifted the head side 2 inches and the foot end varied from about 1/4 inch to one inch.

You can see my pics here. Some of the paneling covering the slide mechanism were notched to accommodate the additional supports. Total cost was about 10 bucks for lumber, I had all the hardware.
'11 Crossroads Cruiser CF325CK

https://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/...4/S4011042.jpg
happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote