Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2009, 04:04 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Just wanted to share my latest mod. I have had the problem of trying to figure out where to carry bikes while pulling the TT. After tons of searching on the internet, it came down to the rear bumper mounted bike carrier or a tongue mounted carrier. After reading all the horror stories of bumpers with bikes still attached some wherebetween the CG and home, I decided my best option was the toungue mounted carrier. I found a company in Canada that made them, but they were a little expensive, at $500. So, with the help of a friend ,that can weld, I made my own. After cruching all the numbers and making sure I wouldn't go over the tongue weight ratio...here is the finished product

We used a Swagman bike carrier. For the frame we used some angle iron and square tube. We also made it so it came be taken off the TT and put on my truck. All told, the swagman bike carrier was about $120 and every thing else was free, except the case of beer I bought for me and my buddy while we worked on it.

2005 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4

2008 ZT25RK Zinger

https://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...C01146-1-1.jpg
ffBillyNy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 07:22 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Very nicely done!

Chrisnan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 11:01 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Nice job.. I just need to find a holder to mount to the 5er pin box.

Duncan & Chelsea (Scotty Dogs)

Williamsburg, VA

2009 Dodge 3500 DRW QC 6.7L

2007 PP PF36SK (Rolling Fun II)
Virginia RVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 03:03 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

Virginia, Perhaps this is what you are looking for! Â*http://www.toppoprails.com/fifthwheel.htmÂ*Â*or this ideaÂ*http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/22102369/gotomsg/22103797.cfm#22103797
https://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r...aravan07-2.gif
pegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 02:03 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

My bike carrier, but a little different.

(Wife was really sick when above photo was taken)

Just got back from our second trial run in Hayward Wisconsin - both of my children graduated High School on May 24th. (Pictures were taken on May 10th.)

2009 CrossRoads Seville VF35RL

2000 Ford F-350 Cr
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:17 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Very nice. I am going to do something similar. Now I have a model.

Thanks.
icefalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:32 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

I installed a 2.5" receiver on front to match receiver on rear. Ordered 2" receiver tube from Northern Tool in various lengths - think I used 24" tube - OD of tube is 2.5" Square. 2" inside allows all other attachments to be used. Bicycle carrier could be mounted in front of bike carrier or move all to back bumper when not pulling FW. My "bike" weighs about 260 pounds, I loaded onto carrier and then stood on outside of carrier and bounced my 400 pound weight to test it, then asked another lightweight to join me for testing purposes. NO movement noticed. Bike carries very well - lighter than a snow-plow - just remember its there when parking. I forgot once and by shear luck missed punching another car by 1/4". Corvette yet - boy was I lucky. From end of handlebar to rear of FW is 58.5 feet. Carrier moves easily to rear receiver, and 2" attachments allow pulling yet another trailer behind it - thats how it will be used in WY and MT after FW is parked, leaving S-10 for wife to run around with. (Kids are meeting us in WY with truck and trailer.)

Get plenty of looks from Highway Patrol and local police, but no one has had any stated objections YET.

Let me know if you need better pictures - I have not painted it yet.

2009 CrossRoads Seville VF35RL

2000 Ford F-350 Cr
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote