Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2011, 10:25 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Has anyone had any issues with the wet bolts not taking any grease? I first though that the zerks were bad but after removing them they appear to work fine. But I still cannot get 2 of the bolts to take any grease.
The bolts were installed at a suspension shop and they did take grease initially (evidenced by some remnant grease that had squeezed past the bushings).
I remember reading in a previous post to ensure that the holes in the bolts were installed at either 3 or 9 o'clock to ensure that the weight of the vehicle was not preventing the holes from passing grease. As the kit was installed at a shop I assume they did this but I cannot be sure.
Before I take it back in I wanted to explore any other potential causes. If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate hearing them

Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 11:32 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

I have 1 wet bolt that will not take grease. I installed mine a couple of years ago and had no problems. I did have a couple that were harder to pump grease into but not enough to concern me. Then, last fall before we put the Cruiser to bed for the winter I greased each wet bolt and 1 would not take grease. I figured it was just a blocked zerk fitting and figured I would unscrew the fitting and check it in the spring. I have not pulled it yet to see if it is just the fitting or if the problem is in the wet bolt itself. I do know mine where installed with the hole in 3 or 9 position and like I said, no problems until last fall. I am still hoping it is just a blocked fitting but I won't know until I pull it and see.
Lonnie

04 2500 Hemi Ram Quad Cab
Chuck N. Wined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 11:44 AM   #3
Site Team

If you put a bottle jack under the spring for the one/ones that won't take grease and put some upward pressure on the spring it should take grease. I have the same problem and that is the way I do it. It works!!!
The spring/trailer is setting in just the right way that the bolt is putting pressure against the hole, blocking it.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 12:20 PM   #4
Seasonal Camper

When I installed my wet bolt kit a couple years ago I had two bolts that were not drilled completely. When I contacted Lippert they sent me replacements in quick time. The fact you see grease may be left over from when they installed the bolts. My bolts had the cross hole and the hole in the end where the zert is. The problem was the two holes never meet. The one from the end was short by about 1/2 inch. You could pull the zert from the one that will not take grease and compare the depth of the hole with one that will take grease.
rcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 01:38 PM   #5
Seasonal Camper

When I installed mine last year I made sure all of them were opened a few were not drilled correctly and I had to get new ones also. I did install mine at 3-9 o'clock and 1-2 still, last year wouldnt take grease.

I do remeber somewhere someone had said that if they dont take grease to jack up on the frame to reduce the pressure on the shackles and then they should take grease. It could be like others had said that there is just alot of pressure on that part of the bolt where the grease squeezes out.

2003 Lincoln Navigator Ultimate Edition 4X4

2004 Crossroads Cruiser CT30RL
fixit5561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:33 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Thanks everyone. I will try to take some pressure off the spring and see if that will work.

Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote