Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2016, 08:57 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Compartment Sealing

So it got cold the other night. Down to 14 degrees. We generally use small portable electric heaters to supplement the fireplace in our 2013 Cruiser 5er. With the fireplace and 2-1,200 watt heaters the interior got down to 50 degrees. Kicked on the furnace and it wasn't blowing much and there was heat coming from the furnace air return. Subsequent investigation revealed one of the two 4" hoses that connect the furnace to the duct had fallen off. The other thing I found was that the furnace/water heater area was not sealed off from the basement between the aluminum frame runners. To make matters worse, the battery compartment is not sealed from the basement. I didn't like that because I store volatile chemicals in the battery compartment. Bottom line is that there are open air passage ways from the living area to the outside and the furnace was able to use outside air instead of return air. (And don't forget about the utility access hole in the bottom of the basement). So I sealed off all those areas except from the battery compartment to the exterior. I also sealed the holes for plumbing below each sink and the pipe duct under the washer. I used foam pipe insulation, spray foam gap sealer, and a little fiberglass insulation.
The next night the ambient temperature only went down to 19 degrees but I only used 1-1,200 watt heater and the fireplace instead of two and the fireplace. Interior temperature only went down to 62 degrees. The basement area was still above freezing. I did not insulate the ductwork that runs through the basement as I wanted to lose enough heat to keep it from freezing.
Old 01-16-2016, 07:46 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Another good trick is to use the insulated bubble wrap that is cut to fit in your windows, makes a huge difference in both winter and summer. Before we upgraded, we had a CT31RL that I did the bubble wrap to....camper also had dual pane windows and upgraded insulation. I could keep camper at a comfortable temp with 1 electric heater and would only need the second when the temps got real cold. Camped in low to mid 20's, but nothing like what you are experiencing.

2015 Rushmore Springfield
Disc Brake upgrade, Goodyear G614 tire upgrade
RV FLEX-ARMOR roof, Mor-Ryde IS suspension

2017 F350 Dually 4x4 6.7 Bronze Fire
gossamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 11:01 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

Sach, what is this "utility access hole" that you speak of?

Our home base -- 2018 Grand Design Solitude 375RES -- The "Uno Mas!"
The mobile office -- 2016 Crossroads Hill Country HCT26RB -- The "Poquito Mas!"
Gone but not forgotten: 2015 Heartland Landmark 365 Key West (lost to Hurricane Harvey)
TxCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 01:14 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

The utility connections are in the inside of the basement. There is a hole about 4" in diameter in a the bottom left basement floor that the water hose, black water flush hose, and TV cable goes through.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:07 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Sach and anyone else that has the utility access hole, keep a close eye on it where it attaches to the floor. The inside of the hole don't cover the plywood well and if water leaks inside it gets between the wood floor and the moisture barrier. I found about a 10 inch soft spot then several others I had to replace the whole floor in the storage compartment. It wasn't the funnest thing I ever did.
2008 Club Cart Precedent
https://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...olfcart2-1.jpg
Cajun TBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:44 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

It's good advise to always consider the wood. Fortunately, the Cruiser has an all metal floor directly below water connection. No wood.

Tags
cruiser, furnace