Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2009, 12:07 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

We have a 27RB that has tinted windows and beige night shades. The inside of the trailer seems very dark. Friends of ours have a Mallard and they have day night shades. I love how light their trailer is in the daytime. Has anyone replaced the shades with day/nights? I'm looking for reasonable pricing, too. Thanks in advance.

2008 ST27RB

2007 F150 4 x 4

Traveling with 3 labs!
Threedognight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 12:48 PM   #2
Family Vacation Member

I would like to replace our day/night shades with blinds throughout the trailer. I find them difficult to put up and down and then moving them from day/night. Seen a trailer at the local RV show with 2 inch wood blinds in the whole trailer and they looked great. I don't know if they are standard sizes or they would have to be made.

Duncan & Chelsea (Scotty Dogs)

Williamsburg, VA

2009 Dodge 3500 DRW QC 6.7L

2007 PP PF36SK (Rolling Fun II)
Virginia RVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 12:28 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

For a supplier of day night shades you can try www.campingworld.com or talk with your RV dealer... they can order them.Theycancustom build them for you. We like ours, although raising and lowering can be a bit of a chore especially if the tension on the strings are not right. We had a string break in our trailer and restrung it. Now that was a bit of a challenge. Probably cheaper to buy a new one if you consider your time. Good luck.

& Mr. Boots (Feline Mascot)

Seville 2008 VF35CK

'08 GMC Duramax

https://i611.photobucket.com/albums/t...ping08-1-1.jpg
SaskJayDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 06:38 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia Campers
I would like to replace our day/night shades with blinds throughout the trailer. I find them difficult to put up and down and then moving them from day/night.

Me too! DW loves them but I don't. I don't like that I can't peek out through them if I hear a noise outside or to check if it looks like rain, etc.

Lonnie

04 2500 Hemi Ram Quad Cab
Chuck N. Wined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 10:35 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

Blinds, hmmmm. Maybe that would be a good solution. I'd get faux wood for sure because they are less susceptible to humidity. I agree, the idea to be able to peek out a blind is a good one! Plus you can tilt them so that no one can see in the entire window, but you still get light in.

2008 ST27RB

2007 F150 4 x 4

Traveling with 3 labs!
Old 02-19-2009, 11:32 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Our previous 5vr had Venetian style blinds and they were a pain in the derriere. We always had to pull them up for travelling and more often than not, when we stopped we found that they had fallen down.The Day/Night shades on our CF30SK are far better. We can lower the night shade for travelling and it helps keep the inside of our 5vr cooler and they don't flop about. There is one thing that is frustrating about the shades is that they can be difficult to raise and lower. I've found that if you pull the bottom of the shade bar away from the wall a bit, it seems to raise and lower easier. As well, the shade bar must be level or else it will bind and make opening and closing more difficult.
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 12:30 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

I went to a big box store and looked at their blinds and found that wood is lighter in weight than faux wood, so that would(no pun intended) be the way I'd go. I haven't measure the existing cornice to find out if it will handle 2" blinds. Penney's has some 1" blinds on sale.

I haven't decided what I want to do yet. As far as ease of operation for shades,the shades we have in there now don't move up easily either.

2008 ST27RB

2007 F150 4 x 4

Traveling with 3 labs!
Old 02-24-2009, 01:12 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

I decided to order the blinds I found on sale at Penney's. They are 1" high gloss vinyl privacy blinds. They should be here in about two weeks. So, thanks for the tips and suggestions!

I will add that Camping World's blinds are cordless, but I don't think they are privacy, which means that light will filter through them. They were also about $10 more per window, and since I did 4 windows that saved me $40. It's my own little stimulus package!

2008 ST27RB

2007 F150 4 x 4

Traveling with 3 labs!
Old 03-09-2009, 06:10 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

So, I put my new blinds in this weekend. Wasn't as simple as I thought but I got it done. I had to take of the wood box cornice to take off the shade that was on there. In order to be able to put the cornice back up I installed the brackets to the blinds, then put the cornice up, then fought with the blinds to install them up under the cornice. I kept thinking a man with big hands could NOT do that job easily! I think I am going to like them, and it did brighten up the space immediately! If I had taken a "before" and after with my camera I could post pictures, but I didn't.

2008 ST27RB

2007 F150 4 x 4

Traveling with 3 labs!