Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2015, 07:05 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Dinette table and chair secured for travel

Dinette table and chair traveling modification

Part 1

After several years of having to lie on my side in order to attach the Velcro strap around the free-standing dining table pedestal and one chair leg on all four chairs I said enough. There has to be an easier way. This is what I came up with and have been using now for two years traveling over many Scenic By Ways and Interstate Highways that can definitely be rough.
This has worked great for us in our Cruiser 335SS and may or may not work for your model.

This shows the completed mod. and all I have to do is tip the chairs in or out of the PVC tube for travel or to use when we are parked.

#1.jpg

Next two photos’ show the PVC pipe sizes I used and if you do this make sure the PVC has a larger dia. than your chair leg.

#2.jpg

#3.jpg

Next I pre drilled the mounting holes (2) for each cup. The lower hole is a larger hole on the outside for a screwdriver or bit and head of screw to pass through. Drill a smaller pilot hole on the inside for both mounting screws. Keep these maybe one size smaller than the actual screw size so they won’t split the PVC.

#4.jpg

Once I had 4 completed I sanded and painted them dark brown to match the table pedestal color.

Part 2 on next post.

J Ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 07:14 PM   #2
Family Vacation Member

Dinette table & chair mod. Part 2

Part 2

Mounting location of cups on table legs

I have to off set my chairs (you can see this in the photo) so when we close the living room slide the chair seats or backs don’t rub against the kitchen island.
In the photo below the outside wall is at the top and the bottom of the photo is the island side. This shows the placement of the 2 cups located close to each other and on the same side of the legs. The chair backs and seats are staggered as you can see in the next photo to get the clearance need to clear the island, walls and couch.

#5.jpg

#6.jpg

You can see by staggering the chairs it allows enough clearance so the chair seats and backs will not rub or touch the kitchen island.

#7.jpg

Another view of the cup mounting location looking down and notice all of the cups are mounted on the back side (outside wall side) of the pedestal legs.

#8.jpg

I put the cups on the legs of each chair and moved them into position, marked the location with tape and check for the correct clearance before mounting the cups with screws.

When I mounted the cups to the legs I used a ¾” spacer board on top of the carpet to shim them up clean under and keep uniform in appearance.

I also put felt pads (or you could use tape) over the head of the screws inside the cups so they would not scratch the legs.

I hope you can understand some of this. ☺

J Ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 07:12 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

We don't secure ours at all and never have an issue. I would be interested in knowing what other people do. I think our floor plan is a bit similar to yours.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 09:09 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

We don't secure our chairs either and haven't had an issue with them moving around. Ours came with straps that attach to small d-rings in the floor and go across the seats of the chairs to hold them in place. I used them a couple of times but are a pain to use so I stopped using them and the chairs have stayed put. Now our rocker/recliners that's a different story. We usually always have to reposition at least one of them every time.

Phil & Janine
2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab Short Bed 2500HD Cummins
2014 Cruiser 333RL
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 12:45 PM   #5
Site Team

Same here. Never secured chairs or recliners. So far we've had no issues. Our dining slide does run up to the center island, and the recliners are behind both side slides, so I'm assuming that's why the never moved.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote