Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2019, 12:45 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

EasyStart AC starter? Has anyone performed?

I saw this AC starter on a few sites. Made by Micro-air.

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Micro...364-x20-ip.htm

I'm now sure but the amp draw is a huge reduction. A Person could run the AC on a much small and cheaper Inverter/generator. Just wondering if anyone has done this and how they are finding the results....
Airborne Elite Sidewinder pin, Maxx air 7500 Fan
2015 GMC LTZ,6.2 Gas, Short Box, Firestone F3 air ride.
Bilstein Shocks
Miniozzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 12:51 PM   #2
Site Team

Years back I tried one. It didn't make any difference in the amp draw.
Now in all fairness---back then what I got (the way I remember) cost less then $10 It was called a a soft start capacitor.
Boy, that is a far cry from the $300 price tag on that one.
They more then likely improved them.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 01:24 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

I tried those ones as well. They were called a hard start capacitor and basically no difference. This is a complexly different deal. Watch the video and he compares it to the hard start cap and factory one as well.
Bilstein Shocks
Old 11-01-2019, 01:55 PM   #4
Site Team

I have watched a few You Tube videos on them - and well you can go there and make up your own mind. To me when they are supplied with a product for free to it changes from a review to a commercial. That said - from what i watched -unless you are trying to run on a small generator i don't understand the need. So i will be following this to further educate myself.
dagst1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 02:07 PM   #5
Seasonal Camper

Hi All,

I saw this too, and a recent write up in Trailer Life magazine has piqued my interest.

While I'm not a habitual boondocker, I do like the A/C if we stop at the beach for an overnighter and my Champion generator will run my A/C but at start-up it's on the limit.

The big selling feature for me is the ability to run the A/C without worry on a household 115V 20 amp power circuit.

Also at start-up, because it delays the compressor after the fan begins to run, or vice versa, the noise is much reduced and less 'urgent' which will make night time running a reality.

The bottom line is as soon as I have a spare $300 there will be one in my rooftop A/C. I'll keep you posted.
Biggles607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 02:21 PM   #6
Site Team

So now i am learning so i have a question.

We turn our AC when we get to a spot if we have hookups. It is a 15000 btu. We run the fan constantly - high in the day and on low at night and just let the compressor cycle off and on. Over the years we have found it keeps the camper very comfortable. When we would leave the fan on auto it would seem to get stuffy before the ac would turn back on.

My question is -- If i am on electric hookups what will this do for my? My understanding was it was for use with a generator.
dagst1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 05:05 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagst1 View Post
So now i am learning so i have a question.

We turn our AC when we get to a spot if we have hookups. It is a 15000 btu. We run the fan constantly - high in the day and on low at night and just let the compressor cycle off and on. Over the years we have found it keeps the camper very comfortable. When we would leave the fan on auto it would seem to get stuffy before the ac would turn back on.

My question is -- If i am on electric hookups what will this do for my? My understanding was it was for use with a generator.
From what I'm reading it basically starts the fan 30 sec before starting the compressor. And in a brawn out it will not let the compressor start for 5 min. This is the main reason I'm looking at it. But sometimes I do run my camper on a 100 ft X 10 gauge cable from my house. And if the fan and compressor start at same time. Sometimes it will trip breaker.

I have a 4000w inverter generator so boondock power is not a problem. It would be nice not to have it draw more than 2000w. I would barely hear the generator wind up at all.
Bilstein Shocks
Old 11-01-2019, 05:06 PM   #8
Family Vacation Member

I guess I will have to order one for spring and let everyone know. I really like the idea of a stepped start.
Bilstein Shocks
Old 11-02-2019, 05:13 AM   #9
Seasonal Camper

Good Morning Dagst,

Whilst I'm no expert, Miniozzy filled in most of the blanks with his description of the start cycle above.

Here's how I understand it:

If you're running from standard 30 or 50 amp shore power the advertised benefit of delaying the fan and compressor start sequentially, reduces the load on the internal electronics, this kinder gentler start is apparently quieter, and presumably prolongs the life of these components.

I think the time delay is milliseconds not minutes, but if Miniozzy is right I apologize and stand corrected.

The amperage draw at start up without the MicroAir soft start is a massive spike which puts the load outside what a compact generator can handle, but once everything's literally 'cranking' the current draw drops to well under what a typical 2000 watt rated generator can run.

Without the aforementioned electronic wizardry, that spike subsequently occurs EVERY TIME the compressor kicks in as the interior of your unit reaches or drops below your preset temperature.

The manufacturers note that when running on a minimally capable generator, you still need to watch your current draw as other electronics routinely cycle on and off, ie. your battery charger, which may exceed the current available and cause the A/C to stall.

For me to be able to safely run my A/C using a modest length HD 115v household extension cord, or with my 3500 watt generator will be a benefit, if it is quieter and extends the life of the unit that's a bonus. Either way, for my money, one of these is going up on the roof before very long.
Old 11-10-2019, 03:17 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

Howdy, I bought the circuit board direct from MicroAir(no box or pre-wiring, https://www.microair.net/collections...nt=29181710923). Our 15K AC runs fine on a Honda 2200w generator. I only used it a couple of days last summer but it worked.
In hindsight I may have been better off with the $299 version- my brother went with the board and said it was fine, so I did. I ended up buying a good box ($20) for protection as there wasn't a guaranteed dry spot in my AC. I had some heavy wire left over from a project and had all the crimpers and connectors needed. My brother has had no issues in a couple of years.
This will also help in a park with a poor electrical system.
DzlDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 02:38 PM   #11
Seasonal Camper

Just done it......

https://www.crossroadsowners.com/for...ion-15242.html

Best regards, stay safe everyone.