Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2017, 03:56 PM   #1
Seasonal Camper

Question EMS works?

So the good news is the 50 Amp EMS works. Bad news, first hot day and the EMS keeps shutting down the A/C. Error code reads PE06 which is low voltage. I installed the EMS because the campground we are at only has 30 amp service and the campground owner assured me that it would be fine as long as we only ran 1 of the 2 A/C units and watched concurrent use of other high voltage items.

I tried both A/C units seperately, the 15K and 13,500 K in the bedroom, same result from both. I'm really extra concerned because it's mid week and the park is empty, hardly anyone pulling power.

Before I go talk to the campground owner, I have a question. The power box on my site was further than my cord would reach. I have the 50 amp cord plugged into a dog bone dropping it to 30, then plugged into a 30 amp extension cord. It's a heavy duty RV extension cord. Will the extra cord cause the voltage drop? After I installed the EMS at home, I tested it out with the same configuration plugged into a 110 outlet and the A/C ran fine. We are on a dirt road, every vehicle has to pass us to leave. We figured the one saving grace from the dirt and dust inside was going to be running the A/C to keep the windows shut and dust out. My wife is not going to be happy.

SeanRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 04:36 PM   #2
Family Vacation Member

Maybe the polarity at the post is reversed?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
jimmerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 04:44 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

The extra extension cord could very well cause the voltage drop, especially if it is hot outside. You can measure the voltage with the A/C running if you have a voltmeter.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 06:17 PM   #4
Seasonal Camper

The EMS has a digital read out. The polarity is fine, shows E0 which is no fault. The PE06 L2 104 means the EMS cut power to the RV because the voltage dropped to 104 on leg 2. Voltage of less than 107 can damage A/C compressor. I just walked around and most of the people here are running A/C. I was hoping to avoid having to pull all the blocks and move the 5th wheel 5 feet forward to plug it in. Either way, I only have 30 amp, that is all they have in the park.

Old 05-18-2017, 06:27 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

I would move to another site and try it there. May be a pain to move but I'd be afraid to stay at that site. Could be the extension cord. If you don't try another site I would be moving on anyway. Not worth burning out an AC.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 06:50 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

the ems is a money saver !
I stayed at a park the 'maintenance man' said the pole was fine, just take you ems off, I said no thanks - will leave this site or this park before I do...
Your voltage drop is because of the resistance of the extra length cords, BUT why go to a 30 amp site in the first place ? use your 50 !

1 AC won't keep us cool ever
Old 05-18-2017, 07:21 PM   #7
Seasonal Camper

There are no other sites. If I pull out, there is no refund. I'm not throwing away $2,500. This is our first 50 amp 2 a/x RV. We lived with one a/c for years and even no a/c. In New England finding a seasonal rental is not easy. They all have good and bad. They all want a down payment and deposit around Labor Day. This was our second choice. Our first choice was where we have friends. We walked away from a beautiful site in a nice park after 13 years and were prepared not to camp this summer. The owners were rude and greedy. They went up $100 a year and added nothing. We will make this work for this summer. I guess I will try moving it forward first.

Old 05-18-2017, 07:52 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Well what ever you do I wouldn't remove the EMS. It's doing exactly what it's designed for; to protect your unit. It's your choice but if they can't provide service that's not going to ruin your unit, that doesn't say much for that campground. In the future (as you've learned) don't stay somewhere where you have to use an extension cord. I would ask for the owner. That's crazy.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Old 05-18-2017, 08:11 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

You could try one of these to boost the voltage.
https://hughesautoformers.com/
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 10:07 AM   #10
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via AIM to st.rodder2 Send a message via MSN to st.rodder2 Send a message via Yahoo to st.rodder2
Could it be that the EMS is a 4 pole 50 amp plug that is plugged into a 3 pole 30 amp reducer and it is not seeing enough voltage across both lugs?

2015 Sunset Trail SF32RL
2012 Ford F250SD CC 4X4 - 6.7 Powerstroke

st.rodder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 12:42 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.rodder2 View Post
Could it be that the EMS is a 4 pole 50 amp plug that is plugged into a 3 pole 30 amp reducer and it is not seeing enough voltage across both lugs?
I've used my EMS-PT50C Portable Surge Protector - 50 Amp reduced to thirty with no problems.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:45 PM   #12
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.rodder2 View Post
A 50 amp EMS works with 30 amp service.

Old 05-19-2017, 01:54 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

Yes I have a 50-30 dog bone reducer. I plug into 30 Amp side then plug the 50Amp Ems into the other end which is a 50 plug then plug my campers 50 into the EMS. Works fine.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:54 PM   #14
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa-T View Post
Well what ever you do I wouldn't remove the EMS. It's doing exactly what it's designed for; to protect your unit. It's your choice but if they can't provide service that's not going to ruin your unit, that doesn't say much for that campground. In the future (as you've learned) don't stay somewhere where you have to use an extension cord. I would ask for the owner. That's crazy.
The owners are very nice. I'll take a sumber with no A/C before I would have given the last campground another nickle. I'm not removing the EMS. The extension cord was my doing. I had it at home and when my friend parked my 5er for me, I hadn't checked the power cord for length. If I move my RV forward I can hook up to all utilities. I suspect my cord is only 25 feet. It's what came with the RV from the dealer. What I don't understand is why they are building new areas without 50 amp service. I suspect they would have to rewire everything coming from the street.

Old 05-19-2017, 02:17 PM   #15
Full Time Camper

Extra sets of contacts and small gauge wire will cause voltage drop. You purchased the system to protect your expensive AC units and it is working as intended. Clean the contacts, reduce the number of connections if possible. Get a voltmeter and measure voltage at the camp source with your AC running. If that is too low then ask the camp owner to fix the problem or refund your money. If you bypass the EMS and run your AC all summer it will fail later at your expense.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 05:03 PM   #16
Full Time Camper

what will help is to get 50 amp extension cords and only use the 30 amp reducer on the shortest run possible...

If you are in the dfw area I have 3 or 4 that I would let go cheap --> here some

check locally on craigslist etc...
Old 05-19-2017, 10:06 PM   #17
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa-T View Post
Yes I have a 50-30 dog bone reducer. I plug into 30 Amp side then plug the 50Amp Ems into the other end which is a 50 plug then plug my campers 50 into the EMS. Works fine.
I do the same thing also and have had no issues so far.
Reese StraightLine WD w/dual cam sway control
Delillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 05:12 PM   #18
Seasonal Camper

I was able to take out the 30 amp extension cord and the 50 amp cord reaches with no slack. I ran the A/C for about 20 minutes and it was fine. I think taking the cord out of the equation is probably what I needed to do.

I need to pull my camper forward about 3 feet and I'll be fine. I'm going to ask one of the work campers to move my 5th wheel for me. I'll have it ready, all they have to do is back in and move it forward about 3 feet. The campground is building a new area that has more space and less pines. If I can't get one of those spots I probably won't come back.

Old 05-20-2017, 07:16 PM   #19
Full Time Camper

good deal !
Old 05-21-2017, 04:46 PM   #20
Weekend Camper

compressor

Background in refrigeration, degree in electronics, and worked for an ice machine manufacturer. Compressors are typically rated for +/- 15%. So at 107 volts you should not have any problems starting 1 compressor. The extension cord will cause voltage drop. I've worked in and around old hospital ER rooms that had old and long voltage runs. I've seen compressors start at a lot lower voltage.
Remember ohms law. As voltage decreases, amperage increases. As voltage decreases, resistance also increases.
The good news is that compressors have either an internal or external bi-metal overload.
paguy77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a/c, ems, low voltage