Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2016, 10:10 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

First weekend of projects / move in finished

This was the first weekend I had it home to tinker.

First must do was the battery swap cause my factory battery wasn't gonna cut it. Pair of 6volts installed, needed longer life for camping without hook ups.

Had to notch the boxes and cut the inside handles, but perfect fit.

Got it loaded and the front of the truck is about 1 inch up (not unexpected). need to adjust the leveling bars as step 1, hoping to not have to put in air bags.

Do have a question for anyone who knows. In this image, there are two values, what do they do? I cannot find any diagram in the manual to specify. Clearly its the hot water tank but what does changing the positions do? I did tinker with the valves when I was de-winterizing. But didn't have an ah-ha moment.

Old 03-14-2016, 07:03 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

the valves are to bypass the hot water tank when you're flushing the water lines with the pink anti-freeze to winterize. you drain your hot water tank at the end of the season. then you close the valve on the line that is blue at the bottom of the tank to prevent flow into the hot water tank. you then open the valve on the line that is blue on one side and red on the other. opening this valve allows the pink fluid to go through the hot water lines throughout the trailer. bypassing the hot water tank just cuts down on the amount of pink stuff you'd have to use if you didn't bypass the tank.
if you are now ready to use your hot water tank, you need to close the valve on the red/blue line. if you don't, you'll be mixing cold water in with the hot water coming out of the tank. closed position on the valves is when the handle is perpendicular to the pipe its on.

2014 ST32RL
2012 F250 XLT 6.2L
EQUAL-I-ZER HITCH
zrxkuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 07:14 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Another way to remember is that both valves are always going in the same direction.
-Both horizontal for regular use.
-Both vertical for water heater by-pass (to winterize OR if you do not need hot water while you camp)

I dry camp alot and by-pass heater (do not use it)and just heat dish water on stove. That saves battery use as dsi heater uses 2v to start.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 01:12 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Thanks for the info on the valves and the uses.

Good idea on the heating water tip harley. I am hoping to move to more boon docking, just have to get time searching the mtns since there is not a lot of online information. Old school way = just knowing stuff via experience.