Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2016, 04:22 PM   #1
Full Time Camper

Fixed the slide-out wiring harness

Ok, so this is a common problem. The black plastic wire loom that hold the wires for the slide out crack due to repeated flexing and eventually fails allowing the wires to hang down and potentially get damaged.

This week I noticed that the one for the main slide-out was 95% broken, checked the other slide-out and it had an obvious crack. The common fix is to use a metal hinge to create a better flex point. Rather than use a steel door hinge, I got online and ordered a 3' aluminum piano hinge. But unlike the ones at Home Depot or Lowes, this did not have pre-drilled holes and each half was 2 inches wide so I could have two rows of rivets. I also used 1/16" thick aluminum plate on the other side rather than just washers.

Fixing the plastic loom on the main slide was pretty ez. But I discovered that the one on the smaller slide was poorly located and when closed both the plastic loom and the actual wires were above the slide mechanism and being pinched between the main floor and the slide-out bracket. I drilled new mounting holes for the plastic loom at both ends to move the entire assembly 12 inches forward. Luckily there was enough slack in the wires. Now when closing the wires are not in danger of getting caught in the slide mechanism or pinched.

I'm not complaining too much since the system worked fine for over 5 yrs of significant use. And I'm lucky I found the problem before any wires shorted or broke, especially the coax cables.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 05:12 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Good idea Larry. I better go check mine out. I know I had to reroute the loom just after purchase as it was being pulled way too tight upon closing (or was it opening?) the slide . Don't think I have checked it since then!!
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:08 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Larry,
Post a picture or two if you can. With mine, I have sj cord and long flexible springs to expand or take up the slack while moving the slide in or out. No idea how a piano hinge could work.
Sounds like a good fix, just wanted to better understand.
Thanks.

Bob and Better Half

2007 F-250 PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2WD
2006 TF32SS Cross Terrain Toy Hauler (sold)
Reese 16k slider
r2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:52 PM   #4
New Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to camper271
I used electrical tape to hold my plastic wire guide together when it broke. It was been a little of a year and seems to be still holding
camper271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 06:22 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

Reese DC
hondavalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 07:22 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2millers View Post
Larry,
Post a picture or two if you can. With mine, I have sj cord and long flexible springs to expand or take up the slack while moving the slide in or out. No idea how a piano hinge could work.
Sounds like a good fix, just wanted to better understand.
Thanks.
See the pic that hondavalk posted. Newer units use a 3 inch high flexible plastic loom. But at some point it has to bend 180 degrees and eventually fails.
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 11:18 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

I guess I would really need to climb under to understand. I see where electrical tape is used above, but I have also doubled up on several h/d tie straps to secure myself in a pinch.
Thx.

Bob and Better Half

2007 F-250 PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2WD
2006 TF32SS Cross Terrain Toy Hauler (sold)
Reese 16k slider
r2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 11:25 AM   #8
New Camper

The factory should fix it! Mine are both broken and have been since day one. Shame on you Crossroads!My chairs are also falling apart. Chair company is standing behind them NOT Crossroads!! Motor on landing jacks broke on our first trip. 3 days in garage at Lazy Days. Sensors not working. Unit is 2 years old. Overflow on water holding tank blocked so it was over filled as sensor did not work. Another trip to Lazy Days. 3 more days. Faucet so loose I dare not touch it. Lamp over dinette fell and broke twice. Think twice before you buy a Cruiser !!!!
rhemeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 05:52 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

Slide harness

Ours cracked and allowed slide wires to drag over the tires on the second day of a 3 week trip. Thankfully someone alerted us to the problem immediately. The RV repair place we found did a great job of tracking down the part for us. We purchased the Lippert part for a triple slide and the repair shop cut it to fit our single slide. We now have a replacement if it happens again.
Threedognight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 06:45 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhemeyer View Post
The factory should fix it! Mine are both broken and have been since day one. Shame on you Crossroads!My chairs are also falling apart. Chair company is standing behind them NOT Crossroads!! Motor on landing jacks broke on our first trip. 3 days in garage at Lazy Days. Sensors not working. Unit is 2 years old. Overflow on water holding tank blocked so it was over filled as sensor did not work. Another trip to Lazy Days. 3 more days. Faucet so loose I dare not touch it. Lamp over dinette fell and broke twice. Think twice before you buy a Cruiser !!!!

I'm reading about your problems and seriously, those are minor problems. Check out some of the posts where slides are broken, ac doesn't cool, roof is leaking. Those are problems.
The harness breaking is an easy fix and there are numerous posts on how to fix them.
The chairs should be warranted by the chair manufacturer, not Crossroads. That's how many of the outside suppliers warranties work.
Seems like you got the jack motors fixed. Were they covered under warranty?
Sensors on the the tanks are notorious for failing. That's no surprise. Most owners never rely on them anyway.
Fixing the faucet is a very easy do it yourself repair.
Can't respond to the light fixture falling.

Did you have a 2 year warranty and did you buy a extended service contract?

With so much to go wrong on rv's, I wouldn't be without a extended service contract.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote