Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2016, 11:29 AM   #1
New Camper

Flat screen tv mount

Hello, I was wondering if anyone else has mounted a flat screen in their RV.
There is stickers on the wall that "say mount tv here". Just curious as to what is behind the wall that I will be securing it to. Do I use the lag bolts provided or use tumbler bolts? I have read other forums that the manufacturer has placed plywood for securing the mount to.
Ryan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 11:33 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Behind mine there was or is a 2X4
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 11:53 AM   #3
New Camper

Thank you fhenn.
Old 03-20-2016, 12:46 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Ryan
Don't trust the sticker, knock around the area to find a solid spot or use a stud finder...I believe there is plywood behind mine...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 03:20 PM   #5
Gone Traveling

Stud finder won't work on the aluminum studs. On mine that back wall is 3/4" wood.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 03:52 PM   #6
New Camper

What did you guys use to secure the mount to wall?
Old 03-20-2016, 08:59 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan81 View Post
What did you guys use to secure the mount to wall?
I used the biggest wood screws that would go through my mount holes, and not longer than about 1 1/4 inch. Open the TV Antenna faceplate, and measure how deep your wall is. Mine was about 1 3/4" Use a small pilot drill, and mark or tape the drill to a safe stop point. If you drill wrong, you can always move the mount a little left, right, up or down. But if you drill too deep, you'll come out the outer wall. That you don't want!
As the others said, use a stud finder, and/or just bang around to make sure you're not on a hollow spot.
Our TV is small, about 20", and weighs about 8lbs. To secure it for moving, I place the original packing Styrofoam "ends" on each side of the TV up on the wall. It wedges the TV to the wall, so it doesn't want to swing and wobble on the road.
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 07:39 PM   #8
Site Team

The "mount here" sticker was off to one side in the entertainment center in my bedroom. I cut a piece of 12" wide oak shelving to fit the area from top to bottom and screwed it to the studs where the sticker was and used plastic toggle anchors for the side attached to the hollow wall. Then I attached the TV mount to the shelving. I also attached a strap similar to the factory one in the living room to keep it in place while on the road.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2024: 2 trips, 26 nights in 8 states, 4801 miles
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 3904 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 01:02 PM   #9
New Camper

I was told by the factory that there is a mounting board in the wall where the sticker is, approximately 12" square. I mounted a bigger tv in my living area in my RV utilizing a rectangular bracket versus a swing arm type because the mounting board was off center in the wall and I wanted to utilize two solid mounting points. In the bedroom and the outdoor kitchen I was able to mount a RV swing arm type mount directly over the stickers and it mounted solidly to the walls. A stud finder worked on my walls as it detected the solid mounting board and also 16" centered studs. I utilized 1 1/4" wood screws to mount all three mounting brackets.
Extended Cab 6.0L
2016 Crossroads Z-1 FB231
dsiam6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 07:19 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavisK View Post
The "mount here" sticker was off to one side in the entertainment center in my bedroom. I cut a piece of 12" wide oak shelving to fit the area from top to bottom and screwed it to the studs where the sticker was and used plastic toggle anchors for the side attached to the hollow wall. Then I attached the TV mount to the shelving. I also attached a strap similar to the factory one in the living room to keep it in place while on the road.
Hi I think I like your thinking, maybe?
Is the 12 x 12 anchored in the center and side's an attempt to spread out the weight and security of the TV?
Thus saving the wear and tear and stress on the single wall stud?
I didn't know they made plastic toggle anchor's ,I've only seen the metal one's, thank's
hvnbnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 12:45 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvnbnd View Post
Hi I think I like your thinking, maybe?
Is the 12 x 12 anchored in the center and side's an attempt to spread out the weight and security of the TV?
Thus saving the wear and tear and stress on the single wall stud?
I didn't know they made plastic toggle anchor's ,I've only seen the metal one's, thank's
In the attached picture, the 3 screws circled in red screw into the mounting area and studs in the wall. The 2 screws circled in yellow are hollow wall anchors to keep the right side of the board tight up against the wall. The bolts attaching the TV mount to the board are counter sunk on the back side of the board before it was attached to the wall.

I got these anchors at Lowes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TV Mount.jpg (246.0 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg Anchors.jpg (150.8 KB, 30 views)

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2024: 2 trips, 26 nights in 8 states, 4801 miles
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 3904 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote