Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2016, 01:22 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Folding Cargo Carrier

I have had an idea for fabricating a folding cargo carrier for the back of our TT for a while now. I know some people just bolt on a reese hitch to the bumper, but after reading up on the strength (or lack there of) of the bumpers on RVs I decided to beef mine up a bit. From what I read online the weld likes to crack at that 4x4 tube from the bouncing up and down. So I cut out some 3/16"plate and welded up some brackets that bolt through the bumper and the hanger that's welded to the frame of the trailer. Essentially bypassing that weld and turning this entire joint into a solid moment connection. I welded up steel brackets and made the frame out of aluminum to keep the weight down and so far its working great. Can easily throw a couple hundred pounds on it and its solid as a rock. Just wanted to post some pics of how I did it in case others are thinking of doing something similar. I really don't know why more RV Manufacturers don't do something like this from the factory.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0894.jpg (244.3 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0903.jpg (371.3 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0905.jpg (167.1 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0900.jpg (356.8 KB, 20 views)

.... Everyday is a good day for Camping....
Poppabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 01:38 PM   #2
Site Team

Nice looking job! I must say it looks store bought!

I would be interested in a pic showing the attachment to the frame ares ---on the inside of the bumper.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 02:02 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
Nice looking job! I must say it looks store bought!

I would be interested in a pic showing the attachment to the frame ares ---on the inside of the bumper.
Here is about the best pic I have at the moment. The angle is welded to the top plate all the way around then that whole assembly is bolted to the bumper and the 2x4 tube that's welded back to the I beam frame of the trailer. Sorry for all the dirt in the pic. Camper needs a good bath before we button it up for the winter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_08971.JPG (450.0 KB, 19 views)

Old 10-23-2016, 03:17 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

Nice. Been looking for a cargo rack that would hold my 27"x54" tote I store a lot of my camping stuff in. Most I've found are only 24"x48" or 24"x52".
Old 10-23-2016, 04:14 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBOURQUIN View Post
Nice. Been looking for a cargo rack that would hold my 27"x54" tote I store a lot of my camping stuff in. Most I've found are only 24"x48" or 24"x52".
This one is 24x70. I just wanted something to throw a little firewood on and my barker when we are at sites without sewer. I moved the spare tire up under the trailer using the Bal Hide-a-spare and that works great!

Old 10-23-2016, 06:38 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppabear View Post
Here is about the best pic I have at the moment. The angle is welded to the top plate all the way around then that whole assembly is bolted to the bumper and the 2x4 tube that's welded back to the I beam frame of the trailer. Sorry for all the dirt in the pic. Camper needs a good bath before we button it up for the winter
Looks like you have it bolted thru the bumper and thru the frame. That looks good, and should be as strong as needed.

Thanks for sharing with us.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 10:53 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Nice beefy rack James. I like how you designed it to just fit inside of the rear taillights and license plate.
Nice that it fits up snug against the trailer when not in use but wonder why you didn't add a short perimeter rail to secure the load and attach tie downs?
Whatever the reason, I'm impressed!

Bob and Better Half

2007 F-250 PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2WD
2006 TF32SS Cross Terrain Toy Hauler (sold)
Reese 16k slider
r2millers is offline   Reply With Quote