Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2010, 09:24 AM   #1
Seasonal Camper

Has anyone else tried this fridge fan for the fridge? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DOMET...Q5fAccessories

I bought one and it makes the fridge actually run warmer than if I dont have it?

I tried it with and without the fan and without the fan the fridge runs cooler.

Anyone got any theories?

Im stumped

2003 Lincoln Navigator Ultimate Edition 4X4

2004 Crossroads Cruiser CT30RL
fixit5561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:28 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

But is it more of a consitant temp ? We don't have any issues with ours, Even when packed tight.

gtoguy1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:33 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

its constant either way. I was just kind of baffled when I put it in I figured it would start to be colder and was actually warmer.

Does your blow air towards the fins or does it blow the air away from the fins?

Mine blows the air towards the fins and I just was thinking maybe the fins are getting colder air blown over them so it isnt turning on as much hence the warmer temps in the fridge.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:42 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

We do not have one. If we have issues with our fridge it's that it runs too cold. I have it set as warm as it will go and it's @32 + or - 3 degre. It's real bad when it's empty

gtoguy1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:24 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

My concern is not so much with the inside temperature of the fridge because it seems to be doing the job well. My concern it getting rid of the heat generated by the absorption of heat by the ammonia especially on hot days. To improve the heat removal, I mounted fans at the bottom of the back of the fridge to assist in air movement up the chimney. This has worked quite wellin daytime temperatures up to 105 degrees.
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:43 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamops

My concern is not so much with the inside temperature of the fridge because it seems to be doing the job well. My concern it getting rid of the heat generated by the absorption of heat by the ammonia especially on hot days. To improve the heat removal, I mounted fans at the bottom of the back of the fridge to assist in air movement up the chimney. This has worked quite wellin daytime temperatures up to 105 degrees.

Yes I also have a fan mounted outside to help blow the heat up through the chimney on top.

Mine when I have the fan inside the fridge turned on, it keeps the temp right at the top of the safe range on my thermometer, right at 38-40 degrees.

When I turn the fan inside the fridge off the temp goes down and sits at 33-35 degrees at the lower end of the safe range for food storage.

Now it isnt all that hot here the past few weeks, so Im concerned about it, because in the hot temps of the summer the temp may go out of the safe range.Then I wont feel safe with the food stored inside it. Plus I spent the money on the fan for the insideand everyone else that has bought themhas been saying the fans cool the firdge down alot where as mine is the opposite. (Im refering to all the testimonials he has on his ebay auction)

So I just thought I would get some opinions on why you all may feel it is working oposite in my fridge.

Old 06-16-2010, 12:01 PM   #7
Site Team

We use a small fan in the fridge, not to make it colder or, warmer, but to make the temps more consistent (even) throughout the inside of the fridge. It's a small unit. Takes 2 d cell batteries. We set it on the bottom blowing up.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 02:56 PM   #8
Seasonal Camper

Could it be messing with the temp control???? I never could figure out how the slide control works
Tom&Denice, Carmel,Betsy, Brighton&Daisy(Rescued Cockers)YukonXL 2500 8.1 4:10 CT31GR https://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...ofP1010009.jpg
ClassicHammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 03:01 PM   #9
Seasonal Camper

CH yes I ws thinking that too but the fridge temp control (thermostor) is on the far right of the fins. So I dont think it is effecting that at all but I am going to try the fan all the way to the left on the fins and see how that goes.

And to let you know how that thermistor works, (someone told me here follow this post at the 7th post hunter explains it better than I could http://www.crossroadsrv.com/forum/fo...ID=17858#17858)

Old 06-18-2010, 12:19 AM   #10
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicHammond
Could it be messing with the temp control???? I never could figure out how the slide control works
Don't feel bad we owned our old triler 10 years NOT knowing you could adjust it.The PDI on the Cruiser the tech told us slide UP for colder DOWN for warmer. The fin will be WARMER near the top and COLDER on the bottom telling the unit to cool more or less by fin temp,pretty simple but works.

2006 GMC Duramax-Edge Evolution

2011 CT29RLX

Bikes,Canoe,toys,toys,toyz
we-canoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 01:33 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

We have never used a fan inside our fridge. Now the one thing we have found is if you stack a bunch of stuff in front of the fins the temp starts to go up. My wife did this last weekend and we noticed the temp starting to come up in the fridge only. After we moved things away from the fins the temp was back down to normal within a couple of hours. The only fan I do use is the one that blows on the coil on the back of the fridge. I turn it on once the outside temp gets above 90*.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 05:01 AM   #12
jeb
Family Vacation Member

The fan is just to circulate the air inside the compartment and it really shouldn't be aimed at the fins, especially the thermistor. If it's aimed at the thermistor, it could quite possibly be shoving warm or cold air at the thermistor and the thermistor won't be able to do its job properly because it isn't getting the real temperature inside the compartment. If you shove warm air at the thermistor, it will think the entire compartment is warmer than it really is and it will tell the unit it needs to be colder. The same is true if you shove cold air at it. Either way, the thermistor will not get an accurate picture of what's really going on in there.

I would therefore not aim it at the fins at all, but rather aim it out so it just circulates the air.

jeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 05:28 AM   #13
Seasonal Camper

Hi Jeb,

I was thinking of doing the same thing. It doesnt blow on the thermistor at all, just towards the fins. I have been trying different areas and it seems to have the same results so I think I am going to just turn it around and have it blow down and recirculate the air as you said. That was what I was thinking of doing also if I couldnt get it to work as it should.

In researching the fan a bit more, it seems that it is made mostlyfor those that have Norcold 4 door fridges in their RV's it seems the Norcolds get alot of frost buildup on the fins and then they dont cool properly. From the research on RV.net the people with the Norcolds I think are his biggest customers because them units dont do so well, and need the help from the fan set up.

It is a great idea and I like not having to replace the batteries in the little blue cubes. So I may just modify mine and turn the fans around in the unit and clip it to the fins and have it blow outward away from the fins. This will circulate the air and maybe even cool a little better. Its an experiment in progress now!LOL

Old 06-18-2010, 10:01 AM   #14
Seasonal Camper

If the fan is blowing warm air (from the fridge----or cold) on the fins....I would guess the fridge would need to adjust the temp.........wouldn't it ?
Tom&Denice, Carmel,Betsy, Brighton&Daisy(Rescued Cockers)YukonXL 2500 8.1 4:10 CT31GR https://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...ofP1010009.jpg
ClassicHammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 03:18 PM   #15
jeb
Family Vacation Member

Yes, but you want the thermistor to sample air representative of the entire compartment, not just some air from whatever is close to the fan.

The fan is there to circulate the air so you end up with a good mix at the thermistor.

jeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 09:23 AM   #16
Weekend Camper

We have one and are very happy with the circulation. I cannot say about temp differences. Jim

Jimw606 is offline   Reply With Quote