Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2009, 05:20 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Has anyone with a cruiser added a generator as kind of a permanent installation? We have a cf29ck cruiser and and are moving to a cf30sk. Whenever we have taken the generator (kipor 2000w) and put it in the bed of the truck, but would like to make it more permanent, like possibly on the back of the rv.

te54650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 06:15 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

One of the guys (Jeb) did a greatinstall on his PP of a Champion (I think) generator. Here is the link to it on the "old" site. Click When I went to it, the pictures didn't come up but maybe they will for you. I do not know how much longer the old site will be available. It is really unfortunate that we are going to lose some of the great "tutorials".

Lonnie

04 2500 Hemi Ram Quad Cab
Chuck N. Wined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:41 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

thanks for the info. I couldn't get the pix either. I hadn't been on the forum for quite a while and when I did try my login wouldn't work. I had to rejoin as a new member.

te54650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 01:23 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

Here's what I did on mine. It could be permanent. I don't like hauling the extra weight if I don't have to. This is a 6kw generator. And it still leaves some room for a few more odds & ends.

<font color=BROWN>2006 33RL Paradise Point</font>

[img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

https://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...amper/33rl.jpg
CamperNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:24 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

Try the LINK now - it works again! (June 4th 2009)

Very similar to my setup with a Honda 6500 EUis generator.

I mounted my generator on a swivel table to be able to direct exhaust gases away from trailer. I did not wire a cord into wiring panel - I just use shore power cord and attach it directly into generator with appropriate adapter plug. Honda generators are pricy but are 56 Db which is very quiet. Runs all electrical needs including two ACs and convection microwave. ECO mode works very well.

Project is still a work in progress function. Need to paint wood platform. Installed a sealed on all sides and top box around storage compartment to prevent gas and carbon monoxide from entering basement of trailer - used some old formica panelling with caulking to seal gaps (CrossRoads does not build square and true trailers - had to custom fit all panels.)

Now working on a lock mechanism that will guarentee generator will not exit thru doors while traveling around right-hand turns - reason for additional tie-down strap in last picture. Pictures should show threaded rod that assists in supporting front edge of platform by tying to frame above - when generator is extended, a heavy load is placed on front edge. 2X4 supports in back prevent tipping of unit - base to ceiling above - unit is only wood screwed to basement floor for position only - did not want to remove belly pan to install bolt thru floor on my Seville.

Unit is easy to setup - carrying 50 AMP cord is much more difficult! In future may have to consider direct wire with transfer switch.

Also installed a battery bank and two inverters, 1000 and 3000 watt capabilities. 1000 watt is used for our King Sized Sleep Number bed pump system and my CPAP machine - it is wired totally separate from normal trailer wiring and is used only when needed for naps when needed. No additional setup required other than turning on inverter unit and plugging into that circuit instead of normal wall circuit. 3000 watt unit is for emergency use only - heavy drain on batteries.

ENJOY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!Edited by: oldman

2009 CrossRoads Seville VF35RL

2000 Ford F-350 Cr
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:31 PM   #6
Site Team

Doug:
That is a very nice set-up you have there for your Honda. You had your thinking cap on for sure.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 02:22 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

oldman,

I too have sleep apnea and must use a Bi-Pap, so dry-camping without power is not an option.

Does Crossroads offer ANY 5th wheels which are generator-ready?
Tom Holsinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 02:23 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

If you only need power for your BiPAP or a CPAP, use extra batteries and a 1000 watt inverter. Batteries can be wired to recharge off of tow vehicle thru 7-pin plug.
My CPAP will actually run on a 225 watt inverter unless heater for humidifier is used.

CrossRoads offers a Generator Ready option on most of their trailers, but incorporation of generator unit is not practical IMO as it runs on LP gas and uses up LP tanks quickly. Others require an external hookup to an outside the trailer fuel supply. On my brothers trailer, I found his Onan generator too loud to use while sleeping. My Honda 6500 is not loud enough to even hear at night, with Air Conditioner and CPAP running.

My FW did not come with the option so I created my own solution.

2000 Ford F-350 Cr
Old 08-18-2010, 12:17 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

Old Farmer told me about the batteries and inverter. That looks like the way to go. My must-have need is for a seamlessly operating backup for one night if camp power fails. I can always move the next day.

I've seen a lot of comments about the noise of Onan generators relative to Hondas. I'd rajther have two 3000 watt Hondasthanone 6.5kw Onan anyway, both so one generator always works and because I'd rather minimize fuel use when dry-camping by operating only one. Dry-camping by definition means LP isn't easy to get.
Tom Holsinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 02:50 AM   #10
jeb
Family Vacation Member

oldman - you don't plan on running the generator while it's still inside the basement, do you?

Edited by: jeb
jeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:13 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeb

oldman - you don't plan on running the generator while it's still inside the basement, do you?

NO - although I did install a sealed box around generator storage area to keep gasoline fumes out of trailer.

I have run it for a few seconds while still in trailer in the box, to demonstrate how quiet it is and how ECO mode works. BUT to actually use it, it MUST be extended out AND turned to direct exhaust gases AWAY from trailer.

I've done some stupid things, but I'm not dumb enough to try to use generator while still inside the trailer basement.

OLDMAN
"To be old and wise you must first survive being young and stupid. I think I am moving into the old part now.....work on stupid to wise next?"</span>

2000 Ford F-350 Cr
Old 01-14-2011, 08:08 AM   #12
cuz
New Camper

I installed a Generac 5500G genset in the fwd storage comp on our cf27rl. Required lots of insulation and transfer switch but, after all done, very happy. Also installed another roof air over bedroom. Now when we boondock or just need that nap on the road. Life is good!
cuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:47 AM   #13
jeb
Family Vacation Member

Here are some photos....

www.webdsi.com/jebbie/genset1.jpg

www.webdsi.com/jebbie/genset2.jpg

www.webdsi.com/jebbie/genset3.jpg

www.webdsi.com/jebbie/genset4.jpg

www.webdsi.com/jebbie/genset5.jpg

www.webdsi.com/jebbie/genset6.jpg

www.webdsi.com/jebbie/genset7.jpg

www.webdsi.com/jebbie/genset8.jpg

When I want to use the genset, I just pull it out and let it rip. When not in use, I disconnect it from the trailer's wiring but when I kinow I'll be using it, I hook it up and I can
have power in rest areas, parking lots, etc. I've had no exhaust problems, even though the genset is directly below the bedroom where the CO detector is located. I've never had a peep out of it. I have a fan which I can hook up to both cool the generator and blow any possible exhaust away from the trailer...just in case.

This particular genset will power 1 AC and just about everything else except the microwave. When I want to use the microwave, I just shut the AC off while using it. Hair curlers are also a problem.
Edited by: jeb

2008 Chevy 2500 with Duramax/Allison

1 wife

3 cats

and a family of racoons.
jeb is offline   Reply With Quote