Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2014, 06:22 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Generator installation

I'm a retired ONAN level III RV generator technician trying to install an ONAN 3.6LP generator in my new 305SK. It fits in the front compartment except that the exhaust outlet (engine and cooling air) is in the way of the spare tire. I also don't know how the 50 amp cable gets to the distribution box.

I'm having some problems getting information about component placement under the unit and I'm reluctant to mount the spare where it might puncture a tank or stab wires. Any suggestions on spare tire, generator, or transfer switch locations??

Jim Latour
Generator Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:55 PM   #2
Site Team

Can you reprogram?
Think about installing the generator in one of the side doors and have it attached to a tray that can slide in and out. Just like your silverware drawers.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:15 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Thanks Lloyd
The main front storage compartment is open to the air in the coach and could be contaminated by carbon monoxide. The small front compartment is "sealed" much better and only has the two golf cart batteries and the front jacks. It won't take as much to fully seal this compartment and will let me store more "stuff" in the large one. We are downsizing from a 38 footer so every cubic inch is needed.

I may have to leave my 70 amp stick welder at home -- bummer.

Jim
Old 01-31-2014, 07:50 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Can you detach the plastic cover on bottom of camper and just take peek at where things are? I know others have done this..

06 F350 KR PS CC SRW

...Wish we were camping...
cowboy_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:11 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

I'd put the spare in the back of the pickup bed and not let the spare be the issue. Once the Onan is in and working properly, you can always relocate it or keep it in the truck bed.

Bob and Better Half

2007 F-250 PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2WD
2006 TF32SS Cross Terrain Toy Hauler (sold)
Reese 16k slider
r2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:39 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

Cowboy -- I haven't been under the unit yet, still recovering from bladder cancer and wife has lung problems. As soon as the weather breaks around here, I'll give it a try. It seems that CR would have diagrams of where stuff was located.

r2millers -- From previous experience I already have two spares in the back of the truck. Just as soon as these ST's give out, there will be a set of Michelin LT's going on.

Thanks for the suggestions all.

Jim Latour
Old 01-31-2014, 08:53 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Jim, have you contacted CR service department for diagrams, etc.? They should be able to help out. Good luck.

PS: Speedy recovery from your family ailments. Larry and I know that being on the road and camping makes everything better! Or at least we think so.
2013 Zinger 30KB - Sold
CrossroadsRV Rally 2013 & 2014 - Northeast Crossroads Rally 2014 - Mason-Dixon Rally 2014
BODERRVING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 11:01 AM   #8
Site Team

The pics are all gone, but there might be some info here that you can recognize/use.

http://www.crossroadsowners.com/foru...read.php?t=174
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 08:29 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

Smile Mark

The weather finally warmed up and our ice is history. Tried to get under the rig today but daughter showed up and mom filled her car with stuff we can't get into the Cruiser or stuff we haven't used in 5 or 7 years from the old rig. Maybe I'll get under there if the weather and rain stay away for awhile. Meanwhile we are installing bathroom towel racks and a "cat proof" gate at top of stairs. Tomorrow is the installation of rug sliders on the bottom of the two recliners so they won't scratch up the floor.

The Cruiser people sent me the only "releasable" diagram they had. It was the floorplan of the inside. The two things I learned was that I had a 14 foot awning and they have no releasable wiring diagrams.

Thanks Lloyd but this is an ONAN 3.6KY propane vapor unit and it has bottom exhaust and hot discharge air. It is not readily moveable after installation.

Jim & Jane Latour

Trouble the 16 lb aptly named cat
Blackie the 26 lb cat bull dozer
Sam the 13 lb Pekapoo (bull dozer target)