Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2014, 10:06 AM   #1
New Camper

Getting AC outlets to work off batteries

While dry camping I'd like to be able to watch a movie or listen to music plus more importantly I have several medical devises that need a little power.

I know I can hookup generator to our 30AMP but don't want to do that each time we need to use an outlet. I'd rather use it to charge up the battery bank when it gets depleted or when A/C or Microwave is needed.

We have a 15' Sunset Trail SF28BH if you need to know for an answer.

I thank you in advance for any suggestions and recommendations.

Scott
sdp0024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 11:20 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

You can buy inverters that will supply small amounts of power for a single item. Not sure what wattage you will need but they are readily available.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 11:26 AM   #3
Site Team

If you don't want to run a generator, you will need a solar array, a battery bank, and inverter big enough to supply your needs.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 12:00 PM   #4
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan View Post
You can buy inverters that will supply small amounts of power for a single item. Not sure what wattage you will need but they are readily available.
Are you saying there are inverters that plug into the 110 outlet to convert? Otherwise I'm not following your solution.

Scott
Old 11-11-2014, 12:05 PM   #5
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
If you don't want to run a generator, you will need a solar array, a battery bank, and inverter big enough to supply your needs.
I have no problem running a generator to charge up the battery bank but I don't want to use it to run a few outlets randomly throughout the evening or morning. I want to use the battery bank DC power and have it go through the built-in inverter to the wall outlets through the trailer while offshore.

Maybe I'm mistaken that it has a built-in inverter when the it's on shore power. If this is the case I understand that I need a true sine wave inverter but want to confirm I can splice into the AC power lines to feed them from the battery bank.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:23 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

get one of the inverters that plug into a 12v cigarette lighter. they have a 110v regular plug on the outer end. works great for a tv or to charge electronics. I think I paid $10 for mine.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 12:42 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp0024 View Post
I have no problem running a generator to charge up the battery bank but I don't want to use it to run a few outlets randomly throughout the evening or morning. I want to use the battery bank DC power and have it go through the built-in inverter to the wall outlets through the trailer while offshore.

Maybe I'm mistaken that it has a built-in inverter when the it's on shore power. If this is the case I understand that I need a true sine wave inverter but want to confirm I can splice into the AC power lines to feed them from the battery bank.

I don't think you have a built in inverter. I think you have a converter.

You can either do like harley said, or, get a pure sine wave inverter and wire it directly to the battery bank and have it inside the RV and plug what ever you want to power up directly into it.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 12:46 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

You may be confusing convertor with inverter. I don't believe you have a built in inverter.
Generally you need to run wiring for a dedicated inverter outlet. The inverter converts 12 volt DC from you battery or batteries to supply 110 AC.
Running you Gen to keep the batteries charged is fine. You can also go Solar as Lloyd suggested. I don't believe the small plug in inverters are good for all the power needs you have expressed particularly for you medical devices.
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 03:19 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

As pointed out, you have a built in converter and when hooked up to shore power it recharges the batteries and operates all 12 v lights, refer, etc. An inverter does the opposite, changes 12v to 110 AC. You need to buy an inverter to supply whatever wattage you need. They are pretty inexpensive for low wattage units, but prices climb sharply with higher wattage and they drain the battery bank really fast. When I dry camp I use a Honda 1000 watt generator, it is sufficient to recharge a single battery and run a few items like TV and sat. receiver. But a Honda 2000 watt unit would probably be better.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 09:33 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

My work vehicle is a Ford F-450 V-10 vortec Bucket truck with a 2500 Watt Tripp-Lite Sine inverter supplying AC Power. It has 3 Grp 65 Monster batteries heating it up and a 110 amp Even more monster alternator keeping the batteries charged. If I EVER have a brain dead moment and turn the engine off for 30 minutes....I'm calling a tow truck. and explaining to my Supv. why I had said moment.....Inverter tech has come along way, But they are notoriously inefficient. 3 to 1 is the current math. It gulps 3 amps of 12v for every 1 amp of 110. and Sine wave are even more. Oh and the Price? close to 2000-3000$ depending on Brand.
Old 11-13-2014, 05:19 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attman6 View Post
It has 3 Grp 65 Monster batteries. Inverter tech(nology) has come along way, But they are notoriously inefficient. 3 to 1 is the current math. It gulps 3 amps of 12v for every 1 amp of 110. and Sine wave are even more.
Sounds like the 3 batteries are in series for 36 volts DC going into the inverter. That is the only way 3 amps DC can produce 1 amp at 110V AC. If the battery bank is set up in parallel at 12 volts DC, then it will take about 9 amps DC to provide 1 amp of 110V AC.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 10:24 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

Yes that is correct, we have to do them in series to get as much bang for our buck with these things as we can. If they were in parallel, the alternator couldn't keep up with the inverter. And since our RV's with multiple Batteries are Parallel (usually) the batteries are sucked dry before the microwave chili gets Hot! At least at 2500 Watts. Having a really big Inverter would be handy, But they are power hogs....