Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2015, 07:22 PM   #1
Full Time Camper

Has Anyone Replaced Window Blinds w Something Else?

The dog destroyed a couple of our window blinds. First question is, Has anyone replaced them? Did you go through Crossroads or somebody else?
The next question is, Have any of you replaced the aluminum blinds with the nice shades, bamboos, and other window treatments I just saw at Lowes? The nice ones are about $50/window and up. I'm not sure the weight and mount would work inside a TT. Looking for ideas at this point.
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 04:40 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

We replaced two of the pleated shades in our previous trailer, a Jayco, with venetian blinds. The reason we did so is because the strings were cutting into the bottom rail. It was quite a job and we had to learn a lot as we went, but in the end we made it work.

Generally, the blinds are attached to the valance. You remove the valance first before fixing or replacing the blind. I have fixed blinds quite often, replacing the strings.

If you take the valance in to a blind store, they can custom make something for you. If the new blind has some kind of control along the side, make sure the side valance is not making it impossible to access this. If you bring the old blind in, that might also help.

Right now I have two blinds that require new strings, one of which I have already re-strung at least once before. I am getting tired of this and I am currently looking for other options, like a roll-up blind or something. The string I bought is slightly thinner than what came with the unit, and I don't know if that is the reason it keeps failing.

Good luck, and let us know if you find an option that works for you.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 06:53 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

MCD shades out of McKinney, Tx has the corner on the 'good' shades...
Once you used these you will never want a pleated shade again !

manual or powered rollup, dual shades, etc...
they worked well in the Redwood we returned
and now in the Monaco.... give them a look !

Website and sample install videos here

(My Sis just ordered a set from them and said the install so easy she did it - but after all, it is MY sister )
and on the Monaco,
has easy adjustment knurled knobs on either end - one end does speed of rollup and the other sets the stop point for say when you DON'T want it to roll all the way up!

a users blog-> http://janeandjohn.org/pages/MCD/mcd1.html
here's a pic of the end of the over door shade next to the passenger window shade showing both end types
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015-08-25 059.jpg (126.0 KB, 7 views)
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 07:48 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Sounds expensive!

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 10:38 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

it's all relative
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 10:49 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

We replaced our metal mini blinds in our last trailer with day/night shades. The hardest part was taking off the valances to get to the mounting for the shades.

Phil & Janine
2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab Short Bed 2500HD Cummins
2014 Cruiser 333RL
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 11:12 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

I ended up going for the original look. Instead of going through the dealer to Crossroads, I found justblinds.com I ordered them to fit, they cost about $25 each, and they fit perfect, and match perfect. If yours says color "Alabaster" on the inside of the frame (Made in China), then the PERFECT color match for these (made in USA) is "Almost Gloss White." The cam mounting clips, the wall tie downs, etc, are a perfect match.
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 01:01 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

Replacing blinds

We have not done this yet, but are planning to. We've had our HC32Rl for 1 year and had to fix 3 of the pleated fabric ones so far. My wife found a great how-to on Youtube where they take a cut to size faux-wood 2 in blind, remove most of the wood slats, then glue some fabric to the remaining wood slats and bottom blind frame peice. They then work just like what I call "Roman shades"...
Bigguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blinds, windows