Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2013, 01:21 PM   #1
New Camper

Hi fellow camper

I just bought a 250rb trailer and i prefer my own barbecue
I don't like boiled steak
Does anyone have tryed to put a high pressure gaz line from the front to the back of the trailer where the dinette is in order to put my own barbecue.

Is there any concerns or worries that i should have before doing that.

I'll put a Y close to the tank and before the preassure reducer and put about 28 foot of gaz line well tied somewhere under my trailer.

The only concern that i have know it's the waste of gas that i will have when i will purge the line.

Thx for your help
Louisqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:50 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Not sure I understand your post. The 25RB has a gas line quick connect just under the outside kitchen as well as a swing out arm where the grill mounts. Works pretty well for a small grill. You could bring along a bigger grill but would need to get the quick connect fitting and probably get rid of the regulator in order to use if that's what your talking about.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:54 PM   #3
New Camper

I'm not a propane expect but what i do know on our trailer we have a low preassure gaz line so in order to use that line you need a low preassure barbecue.

All the good barbecues are high preassure barbecue

They put the preassure reducer at the gaz tank so they need to put only one reducer and all the trailer is low preassure.

That is why i want to install a high preassure gaz line on my trailer but i wonder if i miss something and there is something else that i'll should know

Louisqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:14 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

You can easily modify a Weber Q220 for the low pressure line because it has a removable regulator. I consider my Weber a quality BBQ and it works great on the low pressure line with the regulator removed. Saves having to add a high pressure line.
Saskatoon, SK
WildWildWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:39 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Did you not get the grill that comes with the 25RB? If so, have you used it? It's not that bad. If you go thru the trouble to carry a larger grill, then may not be that big a deal to go ahead and carry a dedicated tank.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 01:01 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

The Weber grill is easily converted to use the low pressure connection on your trailer. The regulator can be removed and replaced with a QC fitting. Put together a hose with the matching fitting and you are good to go.
Go to keystonerv.org and go to the mods section. I wrote a stickie that explains a lot of what you are asking including photos on what you want to do. It's a lot easier than running a high pressure line around the trailer. You can PM me here if you have specific questions on how to do it.
You'll use a male fitting on the gril and the female on the hose. This makes it very simple in the event you want to use a different appliance , all you do is put a male fitting on it and you can swap them. I do that with a Weber Baby Q and a Camp Chef stove.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:27 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

This may be a goofy question but can you not run a grill with two regulators in the propane line. In other words if you come through the regulator on the trailers propane bottles, is it not possible to then come through the regulator on the grill??

pulpwood007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:30 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulpwood007
This may be a goofy question but can you not run a grill with two regulators in the propane line. In other words if you come through the regulator on the trailers propane bottles, is it not possible to then come through the regulator on the grill??

Flow is cut too much by two regulators - the second one won't function as it is designed for higher pressure hitting it - when hit by lower pressure from the already regulated propane, the regulator will not function properly and very little or no propane will get through it.

Easy answer, can't have more than 1 regulator in line. Pressure is reduced after the first one so you have to eliminate it on the BBQ. Not all portable grills have removable regulators, that's one of the things we liked about the Weber Q because it is removable.
Saskatoon, SK
Old 07-30-2013, 12:09 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWildWest
Quote:

Flow is cut too much by two regulators - the second one won't function as it is designed for higher pressure hitting it - when hit by lower pressure from the already regulated propane, the regulator will not function properly and very little or no propane will get through it.

Easy answer, can't have more than 1 regulator in line. Pressure is reduced after the first one so you have to eliminate it on the BBQ. Not all portable grills have removable regulators, that's one of the things we liked about the Weber Q because it is removable.
thanks for info as I've never used gas grills. I'm still a purest with charcoal but need to change over. Didn't know if regulator was dependent on input or just regulated "whatever" to the output. I need something a little smaller than The Q but most of the cheap ones I've looked at have the regulator fixed to the burner and I want to use the Cruiser's quick disconnect fitting.

By the way, when I have the hose made up to supply the grill, what type of fitting should I ask for that mates with the quick disconnect on the Cruiser? There must be several types of these qd fittings? Do they just go by size?

Edited by: pulpwood007
pulpwood007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:31 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

Did you look at the weber Q 120.It is the smallest gas grill,perfect for two and could use for 4 people,works well.We gave up using our toaster and do it on the grill now works great.

2011 250 super duty

2012 Cruiser 305

https://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/...h_89f92fae.jpg
Livewire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:00 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

Quote:

thanks for info as I've never used gas grills. I'm still a purest with charcoal but need to change over. Didn't know if regulator was dependent on input or just regulated "whatever" to the output. I need something a little smaller than The Q but most of the cheap ones I've looked at have the regulator fixed to the burner and I want to use the Cruiser's quick disconnect fitting.

By the way, when I have the hose made up to supply the grill, what type of fitting should I ask for that mates with the quick disconnect on the Cruiser? There must be several types of these qd fittings? Do they just go by size?

I bought the 8' or 10' propane hose from the RV dealer - had a male and female end which was 3/8" I believe - the most expensive part was the two quick disconnect couplers I bought because I wanted to set it up so that the regulator could be re-attached to our Q220 to use it away from the trailer if we wanted. Attached the barb that goes to the trailer on one end of the hose and the quick disconnect coupler on the other end (the QD couplers have a flow direction arrow so you have to have them in the right order). I had to go find a Male 1/4" to female 3/8" to connect to the male barb for quick disconnect. Then I got a 1/4" female to 3/8" male brass fitting to connect the regulator to the second Quick Disconnect. I will try to post some pictures tomorrow of the parts and modification - got everything from the RV dealer except for the reducer couplings (1/4" to 3/8") which I went to a hydraulic/fluid dealer for those (Goodall Canada)- cost me about $8 for the two fittings. They are a specialty store for hydraulics, gas, etc. for the mining and transport industry.

Easier to explain this in pictures so I will shoot some today or tomorrow and post them of the items required - don't need custom hoses made up or anything too fancy - all fittings are regularly available.
Saskatoon, SK
Old 07-31-2013, 05:09 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

This is what you start with (with a Weber) - knob removed and bracket that holds the regulator removed (two screws on back of regulator to remove bracket).

Remove the regulator and in order to adda male quick connect to the regulator you needa fitting to go from the small outlet on the bbq to the larger one on the quick connect fitting.

And connect them together (that little fitting on top isn't available at your general rv store)

I also set up a connection for the regulator so it could be reattached. Needed a small male to male reducer fitting for this one.

And all together

So the 10' hose you buy from the dealer you just need the quick connect fitting (barb and shutoff) for both ends.

So here is all I had to buy.

And the end result is I can use my BBQ on the trailer connection and go back to a regular tank if I want to make it portable again.

Hope this make sense. I don't remember the size of the fittings because I took my parts in with me to make sure they fit.
Saskatoon, SK
Old 08-01-2013, 02:59 AM   #13
Family Vacation Member

I'll be coping what you've done.
Thanks
Old 08-01-2013, 07:38 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

Scott Nice work, keeps the Weber portable. Good pics as well
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:28 AM   #15
Site Team

A great help for all of us who want to convert a grill. Good pictures and explanation. Thanks

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote