Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2010, 12:34 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

This is a rather standard modification but just in case you have not seen it here it is. We do not like the idea of having water sitting in the hot water heater (10 gallons) for several weeks or longer after it was heated up and now sits in the hot sun especially when it quite likely was well water to begin with. So we just gave up $5.98 and installed a hot water heater drain. Now after we get home (I don't like to drain it at the camp site) we drain the heater. You do have to make sure you refill the heater before you turn on the heater on next use but no big deal. Also is handy for winterizing.

2012 Cruiser CF325CKP

2010 Ford F-350 6.4 SB 4wd

W0CSC

Semper Fi 59-63
calliopeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 05:44 PM   #2
Weekend Camper

Where did you get the drain?

Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:43 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

I bought the brass drain from my local RV dealer. There was a good thread started by DANSKOOL a while back that will give you all the info you need:

http://crossroadsrv.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=925

I hope that takes you to it. If not you can just scroll back thru previous mods posts to find it. There was a lot of good info on the hot water drain thing

2012 Cruiser CF325CKP

2010 Ford F-350 6.4 SB 4wd

W0CSC

Semper Fi 59-63
calliopeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:08 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Link worked fine.

2000 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 4X4
rv-rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:41 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

Theissue with this set up is it does not drain fast enough to flush any sediment and since it is a copper bearing alloy (brass) it will cause corrosion with the aluminum tank over time.

Viet Nam Vet 70-71 Da Nang

Real airplanes have two wings and big, round, engines
BipeFlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:08 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

I have not done this on the Cruiser, but on my last unit, I installed a CPVC ball valve and it did not limit the flow as much as a brass petcock. But in either case, there is a lot of water at the bottom of the tank which doesn't get drained even when the nylon drain plug is removed. You can get more stale water and sediment out of the tank with a wet/dry vac and a small diameter plastic hose.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:22 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayle1
I have not done this on the Cruiser, but on my last unit, I installed a CPVC ball valve and it did not limit the flow as much as a brass petcock. But in either case, there is a lot of water at the bottom of the tank which doesn't get drained even when the nylon drain plug is removed. You can get more stale water and sediment out of the tank with a wet/dry vac and a small diameter plastic hose.
I installed a ball valve on my Cruiser. When I return from outings I connect to the city water. Then I open the ball valve and get a very strong folw that should flush most of the sediment. Iflush until the water runs cold and close the ball valve. If my next trip is in a couple weeks I leave the tank full. Then when putting water in fresh tank before next trip I connect to city water again and flush hot water tank before the trip.
rcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:32 AM   #8
Seasonal Camper

Thanks for the Plug Ken..
Been almost two years. Almost, well pretty close.. No corrosion found and still drains nicely. I love that thing. So does everyone that sees it when i open the door and show em.

2005 Cruiser

2001 F250 7.3

danskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:18 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

Ken --

Doesn't your Kingston have a hot water drain already in the convienence center? When I open my, hot water pours out, so I figured it was draing the water heater.

2008.5ish Kingston KF30SB

2008 Chevy 3500 dually
sheltieRV is offline   Reply With Quote