Old 09-19-2018, 08:44 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

I love LED'S

While walking ‘Ziva’ our fur baby, around the campsite during our last visit of the Summer to Florida’s East Coast before it becomes overrun with Snowbirds, our conversation turned to Oooh’s and Aaaagh’s as we passed several majestic rigs we can only dream of.

One feature that sets them aside from everyday campers is the exterior lighting.

We’ve always referred to these as ‘Happy Lights’. Long before we were absorbed by the RV lifestyle we would comment on how a home looks ‘happier’ with outside lighting. Simple carriage lights or a glow from a lit room adds a certain warmth and visual attractiveness don’t you think?

Our Zinger ‘Harvey’ came with the standard white LED strip tucked up under the awning and blue accents in the exterior speakers, we decided he needed more.

A quick internet search led me to a distributor offering packs of (5) pre-wired panel mount LED strip lights, each has six LED’s and can be lit with 12 -24 volts. They are approximately 5” long x 1” wide and ⅜” thick. They are available in white, blue and red, each pack of five including shipping cost under $7.00.

I ordered three packs of the blue to match the speakers, and the decals over the otherwise silver/grey sides of Harvey. The intent is to create a warm blue glow from under the hull which we hope would be aesthetically pleasing.

They arrived about five days later and I set about mounting them to the bottom edge of the tin skirt facing downwards along the kerb-side.

I measured Harvey and planned equal spacing, in my case about 30” between each LED. This step helped me determine how much wire I would need to route around obstacles under the floor such as the fold down steps, and wheel arches etc.

LED’s are polarity critical, the ones I bought have a white and black wire. The white has to be connected to the positive 12V DC supply, the black is negative, and in my case ground. This meant I only had to run one wire from the battery, via a 5 amp fuse and switch to the white wire on each of the LED’s to have them in parallel. Each of the black wires is connected on the back to one of two small nut, bolt and washers I used to hold the LED to a 5” bracket I made from 1” aluminum angle I had laying around. The bracket will be fastened to the skirt with self-drilling screws thereby providing a path to ground since the skirt is grounded to the trailer chassis.

I assembled the LED’s and wiring, soldering and heat shrink wrapping each connection on the bench, minimizing the time spent on my back under Harvey.

I threaded the assembly up under the folded bottom edge of the skirt, secured the brackets and the supply wire to the frame using insulated cable brackets and self-drilling screws, and connected it into a spare terminal on my 12V buss behind my battery box.

I mounted a waterproof illuminated switch on the skirt next to the entry door for convenience.

Flushed with success, I hit the internet again and bought a pack of the white LED’s. Three of which I installed flush mounted on the inside of the left stringer of my newly acquired MOR/Ride entry steps, the remaining two will go inside my pass through storage when I get around to it.

Overall, the two jobs cost around $45. I think the result is very pleasing, and when sitting outside of an evening I won’t be surprised to hear the occasional Oooh’s and Aaaagh’s.
Biggles607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 09:55 AM   #2
Site Team

John, you are sure a bundle of energy and enthusiasm!

It looks great.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 10:07 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Thanks Lloyd. I just really enjoy doing stuff..
Old 09-19-2018, 11:24 AM   #4
Site Team

Smile

You are welcomed to come up to my rv and do the same. Refreshments will be served.

'13 Cruiser Patriot 335SS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Crossroad Rally" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 11:28 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

I did something similar with a 20 foot flexible strip of blue leds that I plug in by the wheels. I bought a second one to wrap around the other side, but I have not installed it yet. I did this because when we were camping in the Land Between the Lakes there was an albino skunk hanging around and I didn't want to be sprayed nor did I want my dog to be sprayed. And I think it looks cool.

Screen Name = half Labrador, half Beagle and full of attitude.
Labbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 12:50 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Nice job. I like that.
*Ted & Tricia (Mimi and Boo - Poodles)
“I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 06:17 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Thanks everyone for your kind words.

If someone had the inclination, bought a bunch of these in various colors, a couple of spools of wire, some switches and heat shrink, I dare say there's business out there at every campsite.....

Just saying, not offering......
Old 09-20-2018, 07:46 AM   #8
Family Vacation Member

I love them too. They are cheap, useful and a lot of fun. China has finally learned how to make them dependable too, I think. I lightened up the dim bathroom with a set under the vanity and some remote control variable colored ones under the unit.

Nice job on yours.
Old 09-20-2018, 05:25 PM   #9
Family Vacation Member

Labbie, I bet your albino skunk looks really cool under blue lights....Hee hee.

Good luck.
Old 10-23-2018, 07:37 AM   #10
Family Vacation Member

Some shots of Harvey at New Smyrna Beach, 'Old Sugar Mill Ruins' campsite with the new lights.....

In't that pretty..