Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2014, 06:45 AM   #21
Site Team

When I installed air bags on my Duramax, I had to remove them, but they were bolted on and it was a simple job to just remove the bolts. No cutting involved on anything.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 06:56 AM   #22
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim D View Post
If you only have 1 in of sag I don't think I would mess with them. They did make a difference on my truck. They don't do anything for sway. For leveling only.
Air Lift Company seems to disagree with the statement on sway. From the Air lift web site:

"Only air springs give you load support that is adjustable for YOUR specific load. Add air when riding loaded to ensure your vehicle is level for a safer, more comfortable ride. Deflate the air springs when riding unloaded for optimal ride quality. When weight is properly distributed to all four tires, it results in: better braking, less sway, better steering control, better headlight aim, a smoother ride and less bottoming out."

- See more at: http://www.airliftcompany.com/worksh....hVgOhyyh.dpuf

2014 Rockwood Windjammer 3008W Diamond
2012 Toyota Tundra, 5.7L
MEHoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 07:00 AM   #23
Full Time Camper

They do bolt on. Some applications they are removed and the airbag bolts to the existing holes. Some airbags have a jounce inside them. Mine had to be drilled into the side of the frame. I paid the shop labor rate to have them installed. I have no flat level area nor the jacks and stands to do it myself. If your thinking of doing these, Suspension Connection was the cheapest place online.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 07:09 AM   #24
Full Time Camper

I like the firestone Work-right spring helpers. they just bolt on in replacement of the jounce stop. No cutting or drilling and no compressor or air lines to worry about. plus because they only touch the axle when you are loaded, they have no effect on your unloaded ride. Alot cheaper too

Jason & Wendy
2014 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L PSD
2015 Keystone Montana 3711FL
B&W Patriot 16K Fifth Wheel Hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 07:58 AM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
When I installed air bags on my Duramax, I had to remove them, but they were bolted on and it was a simple job to just remove the bolts. No cutting involved on anything.

OK, I guess I should have been a little more specific.
What you guys are referring to joust/jounce, I simply refer to as--rubber bumpers.
The rubber bumpers on my Duramax were bolted on. I installed a set of Firestone air bags and they bolted into the same holes as the rubber bumpers were in.
Apparently some of the bumpers on other vehicles are not bolted on? There fore the reason for cutting them?
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 08:33 AM   #26
Family Vacation Member

If you look at the first picture I posted (after installation, go to page 1 of this thread) it shows my jounce bumper and it would appear that it is NOT bolted on. I would have to crawl under the truck to verify that but I don't see any bolts to take it off. In a way I'm glad they are still there b/c I don't always have the bags inflated to max pressure. Like someone else said previously, I deflate down to about 5-10 psi for more of a softer/stock suspension ride while not towing.

It looks like Airlift has a line called RideControl for rear leaf spring suspensions that help to level up to 2000# of weight and it appears they may be no drilling for some applications. Not sure if you remove the jounce bumpers or not, but the website claims installation in about 2 hrs. I'm sure its comparable to the firestone product which sounds to be pretty much bullet proof.
Propride 3P, Airlift 1000
MidOhioHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 08:37 AM   #27
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboytoo View Post
Those darn typo's can get us !
Sorry, but think the proper spelling is jounce
http://www.airliftcompany.com/workshop/jounce-bumper/
Correct spelling always helps. Thanks for the info.
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 08:38 AM   #28
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidOhioHunter View Post
It looks like Airlift has a line called RideControl for rear leaf spring suspensions that help to level up to 2000# of weight and it appears they may be no drilling for some applications. Not sure if you remove the jounce bumpers or not, but the website claims installation in about 2 hrs. I'm sure its comparable to the firestone product which sounds to be pretty much bullet proof.
This is what I had installed on mine. They do require drilling.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:47 PM   #29
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidOhioHunter View Post
Installed the Airlift 1000 bags in the rear springs yesterday. Now I haven't towed with them yet but I see how well these are going to work right away. What a simple modification/upgrade to suspension for less than $100 and about 2 hrs of time. If anyone else out there is considering doing this to their vehicle and have questions, let me know. I can probably save you a little time by giving some tips on preparation and installation.
Before i upgraded to a 3500 i had a 1500 great truck, just needed a bigger truck n trailer. i did airbags and also "bump stops" this is added insurance incase a bag goes.