Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2017, 08:20 AM   #1
Seasonal Camper

Installed....SURGE GUARD 35530 30amp unit

'Surge Guard' 35530 30amp Hardwired model.

I've been contemplating getting a surge protection system for Harvey for several months, Umming and Arring the pros and cons of the things, and occasionally researching anything I can find about them on the web.

When we're not travelling, we keep him plugged into a dedicated 30A outlet at our house we installed to periodically run the A/C and keeping the battery charged.

Last week, we were in Harvey parked alongside our home, and wondering if he could speak, what would he ask Santa to bring him?

Without warning we heard a loud ominous low frequency hum/buzz coming from somewhere outside. The sound is unmistakable and it eminated from one of those grey garbage bin sized contraptions at the top of a power pole 100 yds down the street. During thunderstorms I've heard the same sound and witnessed bright green sparks shoot out of the things, and usually the power goes off. On this occasion, no lightning, no rain, no thunder, no loss of power, just that sound.

When we went back inside the house we noticed everything with a digital display was flashing '00:00' or 'RESET', only then we realised the sound probably accompanied a 'brown out'.

Up until then, I'd only considered a surge protection unit may be necessary at campsites, and given we visit maybe 8 or 10 per year, our exposure was minimal, but this was a revelation, our beloved Harvey is just as vulnerable right here at home, plugged into the house, as he is at a damp old pedestal in a rustic campsite.

"Dear Santa".....

A quick phone call to TechnoRV in Alabama, and a lengthy discussion with one of their very knowledgeable technicians lead me to the purchase a 'Surge Guard 35530' Hardwired 30 amp unit.

I originally considered another brand, but found the specification & price of the 'Surge Guard' product, and above all the support and assurances offered by TechnoRV to be unmatched.

The unit arrived a day late to put it under the tree all wrapped for Harvey, but it did give me an excuse to do something other than eat, drink or watch re-runs on TV.

During the summer I'd installed a 'Marinco' shore power disconnect to prevent bugs and mice from creeping into the void where the 30' cable used to get stuffed during transit. This void, probably 2 cubic feet in total, is under the pantry and accessible from a removable panel inside.
It already had a steel junction box where the external cable is connected to the internal wiring.

Installation couldn't be simpler. Apart from it being on the floor in a confined space, and me being not quite as bendy as I used to be, it took about 30 minutes.

After disconnecting the power, cut the thick 30 amp factory installed cable, trim back the sheath on each of the cut ends, bare 1/2" of the three copper conductors, secure the black, white and green on corresponding colored terminals at the 'line' (from the outlet) end, and then the same at the 'load' end leading into the coach and you're done.

After reconnecting the power, and a short delay/reset time (about 2 minutes) you'll hear a 'thunk' as the unit's internal electronic breaker closes and provides your coach with surge protected voltage within a safely regulated range.

This particular unit also features a sacrificial 2450 joule circuitry that offers a substantial degree of protection from all but the most violent impulse, enough we hope to minimize our risk of losing valuable electronic components in Harvey for years to come.

TechnoRV is owned by a couple of full time RV'ers. I have yet to find a company with more courteous and knowledgeable staff, they were a pleasure to deal with.

If you're interested, you can find them and their wares at TechnoRV - Learn Here. Buy Here. Get Support Here.
Biggles607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 03:09 PM   #2
Gone Traveling

ANYONE owning a rv should have either hard wired or portable surge protector/EMS. There's too many highly sensitive electronics on these things to not have one, IMO its pretty cheap insurance.
I know I've had my 1st protector fried, Iknow it's saved me a couple more times, so it's money well spent.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 06:06 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Thanks for the input. On my list of things to get before the season starts. We don't go to any plug in campsites, but we do plug in at home before and after as we prep and then remove items. Power is power, and crap can hit the fan here just as well.
2019 Grand Design Imagine 2800bh
morphrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:53 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

If you use a generator,sometimes the surge protector will not let power come thru, gives a bad ground err. If that happens you will have to make a plug that bonds the neutral and ground together. Do a internet search it will tell you how and why you have to do that.

shoe2728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:59 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe2728 View Post
If you use a generator,sometimes the surge protector will not let power come thru, gives a bad ground err. If that happens you will have to make a plug that bonds the neutral and ground together. Do a internet search it will tell you how and why you have to do that.

That information is in the document section here.
Generator Ground-Neutral Bonding
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote