Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2018, 03:01 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Insulating front wall against condensation?

Hello all,

Happy new year! Just returned from 3 nights of winter camping. Temperatures between 5 - 20 F, so a bit brisk! Lots of snow too! Used the furnace periodically, but mainly survived with an infrared electric fireplace and another electric heater. We DID have to leave the slide out when we left though, as the seals were encased in about 2 inches of solid ice.

The main issue with weather was in the bedroom, where we found the front wall (headboard) got wet from condensation, even with the roof vent and a window cracked. We actually switched around and slept with our heads at the other end of the bed, but the problem persisted.

Has anyone tried to add any sort of insulating panel to the front wall to prevent this condensation? I was thinking even a thin sheet of the pink or blue poly board would work. I don't need anything permanent, just something to prop up at night to prevent the condensation.

Thanks in advance. Learning something new every trip!

Blake
theflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 11:25 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

I winter camp for a week during deer season here in PA every year the only condensation I get sometimes is on my windows one way to beat condensation in the bedroom is keep the door shut raising the temp. a few degrees that can help to keep the moisture in the air and not on your RV’s cool surfaces.
you can also try "DampRid"for RV's it will draw the excess moisture out of the air in your camper which is what causes condensation

I also run a fan in my bed room I just can't sleep in dead silence...lol but I think the air circulation helps too.
mossyoak1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 05:39 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

As far as 'covering it up' with insulation...
as long as it's not perfectly sealed, I would think you would still have the condensation, except now it is between the insulation and the wall! which would probably be worse than no insulation.

You are correct in that most rv's don't have enough insulation up there, but where ever there is a temp difference, then the moisture in the air from your breathing, from the furnace, from showers, etc... will condense there as well as on the windows.

Air movement does help, but moisture reduction helps more...
so get the moisture out - vents on high when showering, cooking, etc.

good luck and I too LOVE winter camping !
Old 01-23-2018, 09:31 AM   #4
Site Team

Last year I bought a 70 pint automatic dehumidifier at Costco. It has a hose and pump to drain into the sink. I keep it set for 50%, and it does a great job keeping my 5th wheel dry inside. I leave it on all the time. It has a pretty small footprint. I run the hose to the kitchen sink when the camper is at home. When camping, I push the hose through the slide seal and let it drain outside.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2022: 3 trips, 18 nights in 4 states, 2352 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 5336 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote