Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2018, 05:49 PM   #1
Seasonal Camper

Interior fridge fan

I decided to add a fan to circulate the air over the fins inside the fridge. I ordered this fan which should be here in a couple weeks, it is 3500 RPM and moves 6CFM so it will be very quiet, so today I built a mount for the fan which will be wired directly to the hot wire of the light, BUT I added a switch to the fan incase I ever need to shut off the fan while boondocking. or what ever reason. also added cork to the side to help deaden sound or vibration and will be secured to the fridge grate via the small piece of wood then attached from the bottom of the grate; I also show a pic of the fan mount that will be self explanatory basically. There are many other vids and Utube options but after reading a few hundred reviews and utube opinions and ideas, this in my opinion should be a pretty good fix. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01533.jpg (123.3 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01534.jpg (118.3 KB, 21 views)
Old 09-22-2018, 05:39 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Very elegant job. I've thought about doing something similar after seeing forum discussions but my ref'ers have all seemed adequate without one. I'd be interested in what effect you find it has on cooling.
Old 09-22-2018, 08:15 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I use one of the cheap fans. I have noticed only a slight difference in cooling temp but where the fan really helps is how it equalizes the temp within the fridge. I no longer get the frozen zone next to the fins (fridge tended to freeze lettuce in a container when set next to the fins).
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 11:42 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

I just bought the same fan and put it on the outside to help disperse the hot air on those hot days. Hooked to live 12v and switch that can be accessed by putting finger thru outside fins.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 09:55 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

Nice work! I like your plan. I've been thinking of doing the same project. Please post a pic of it done and installed.

2017 Sunset Trail Superlite 289QB
2016 Escalade

Custom73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:38 PM   #6
Seasonal Camper

I'll definitely reply back Custom73 with a picture when totally installed. But that will be a while, probably 4-5 weeks, guess it's on a slow boat from China or something. Actually also ordered LED bulbs for everything inside and out. Harley if to read this post did you add one fan to the outside or two? Also great ideal to access a fan switch through the fin with your finger. A tiny waterproof push-on/push-off would be handy.
Old 09-27-2018, 02:27 PM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Aceallenk,

Just so I'm on the same page, being relatively new to all this, I wonder if you can clarify something for me.

You install this fan INSIDE the fridge to circulate air over fins at the back, presumably to even our the cooling, correct?

Assuming that is the intention, does this make a significant improvement?

Considering the fan runs whenever you have 12v power to the fridge, does the resulting heat generated by the fan motor offset any potential improvement in cooling? I only ask because I genuinely don't know the answer.

Your mount certainly looks well thought out, how big is it, it's difficult to tell from the photos. Can you post dimensions please?
Biggles607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 03:45 PM   #8
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles607 View Post
Aceallenk,

Just so I'm on the same page, being relatively new to all this, I wonder if you can clarify something for me.

You install this fan INSIDE the fridge to circulate air over fins at the back, presumably to even our the cooling, correct?

Assuming that is the intention, does this make a significant improvement?

Considering the fan runs whenever you have 12v power to the fridge, does the resulting heat generated by the fan motor offset any potential improvement in cooling? I only ask because I genuinely don't know the answer.

Your mount certainly looks well thought out, how big is it, it's difficult to tell from the photos. Can you post dimensions please?

Well I hope it works as intended from all the U tube vids and reviews I used to reference my thinking for this ideal I think it should work just fine, . With a fridge of about 4.7 cubic feet this fan should move about 12 cubic feet per minute, thus circulating the entire fridge over twice every minute, plus remember location and angle will make a difference, hence my reason to attach to the fridge rack so I can aim it across the fin and slightly over top. The fan will be be attached to the mount so it exhausts from the top and slightly tilted backwards, thus hopefully deflecting the airflow off the top of the fridge through the fins but am still going to mount it on the right side of the fridge, top rack, stealing power from light hot wire. Well that's the game plan at least, common sence leans that direction also. Anyways the diameter I used for my mount was 92mm because I want to attach the fan using a couple stove bolts and the mounting holes are 80mm apart. that will allow 4mm on each side left. You mention heat, these little fans run very very cool, so efficiency should far exceed that factor. Now if you wanted you could make your mount with a 3 inch diameter and attach your fan with a blob of silicone, but just don't push it tight to your base thus achieving a sound deadening at the same time. This fan is relatively quiet due to lower RPM again another reason for my choice. BUT TIME WILL TELL, LOL.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51stGJQom-L.jpg (32.9 KB, 17 views)
Old 10-22-2018, 02:47 PM   #9
Seasonal Camper

I received my fan today so being that the temp was quite nice I decided to attach it to the mount, and stick it into the fridge. I did a little mod since I originally made the mount, which is exactly 3 inches wide now. I never wired into the fridge light as I have the battery out for winter. I did however run the little fan with the battery in the shop to see how much air it will move and am quite impressed as surprised to the movement. Yep, the closer I get it to where I want I'm thinking this will be a good choice. Hell tomorrow will likely throw in the battery for a hour and finish it up as tomorrow shows for 9 Celsius.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01546.jpg (192.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01548.jpg (146.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01549.jpg (150.9 KB, 8 views)
Old 10-23-2018, 06:17 AM   #10
Seasonal Camper

Aaahhh, now it all makes sense.....thanks for the photos.

I think you should get out there now and put your battery back on.

It's still 80 something in Florida, got sunburnt a bit yesterday
Biggles607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 05:40 PM   #11
Seasonal Camper

Through the battery in for install and a test today. Easy as pie to tie into the fridge light, just have to remove the positive and negative spade clip and slip fan wire through the tiny hole in spade and slide the clip back onto the spade terminal holding it firmly into place. If you ever need to remove again nothing to it. So is virtually impossible to hear the fan with door closed, and with door mostly closed you can feel a tiny breeze in the fridge all 4 corners. I'd say this was a decent improvement for $9.51 Canadian money. Hell who knows, might be standard equipment in future models, lol..
Old 10-26-2018, 12:18 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceallenk View Post
Easy as pie to tie into the fridge light, just have to remove the positive and negative spade clip and slip fan wire through the tiny hole in spade and slide the clip back onto the spade terminal holding it firmly into place.
Does the light stay on in your refrigerator? When I close my refrigerator door the light goes out just like my home refrigerator.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2024: 2 trips, 26 nights in 8 states, 4801 miles
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 3904 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 12:34 PM   #13
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavisK View Post
Does the light stay on in your refrigerator? When I close my refrigerator door the light goes out just like my home refrigerator.
The light is off and function exactly as it did before, you hook the fan to the hot side of the switch. If you take your DCV meter and take a look at your light assembly in your fridge you'll quickly see why. The lever that shuts off the light, is where the circuit is broke. everything before the lever is hot, and on the other side of the light bulb is the negative terminal.