Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2009, 12:56 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

We have a 2008 ST27RB and would like to be able to play our iPod while camping. Has anyone found a way to do that other than bring an extra stereo along? I can't remember the name of the DVD/stereo that is in our unit and I looked through the warranty books and don't find that info in there. Thanks in advance for the tips!

Theresa

2008 ST27RB

2007 F150 4 x 4

Traveling with 3 labs!
Threedognight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 01:25 PM   #2
Family Vacation Member

We use a FM transmitter made by Monster. It runs off of the 12v power supply. Just set the transmitter to a vacant FM frequency and tune your FM receiver to the same frequency. The sound is pretty good, not CD quality but it's not too bad. If I remember right it cost about $90. The nice thing is you can use it in the truck also, and it keeps the ipod charged. I've had it for 3 or 4 years now, there's probably something better out there now.

https://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...rawberry-1.jpg
rock1424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 02:43 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

I have an 09 Cruiser that has a Jensen Stereo/CD/DVD with Ipod hookup.Never tried it,but the radio sure sounds good.I also bought a cheap speaker system for Ipod/MP3 from wal-mart that works real good for the price-$3.50.

2009 Cruiser 29RK
FB1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 03:09 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

The FM transmitters are OK, but not $90 good. They do charge the ipod though and can be usd in the truck if you would like. Again, if there are a lot of radio stations in the area, you will probably get some interference.

If you want to play it in the camper, you can buy a cable that plugs into the headphone jack on the ipod and into the aux RCA connection in the back. They are less than $10 at RadioShack. This will not charge the ipod.

If you want to play it outside, you can use an old pair of powered computer speakers and plug it into the headphone jack as well. This will not charge the ipod.

I always wanted to run speakers from the inside stereo outside, but never did it. The camper we have now lets you plug the ipod right into the inside or outside stereo.

Have: 2008 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2006 GMC Yukon Denali
croberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 01:47 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FB1965
I have an 09 Cruiser that has a Jensen Stereo/CD/DVD with Ipod hookup.Never tried it,but the radio sure sounds good.I also bought a cheap speaker system for Ipod/MP3 from wal-mart that works real good for the price-$3.50.
We looked at our stereo yesterday and there isn't an AUX on it, but I like your idea of the cheap speaker system. Honestly our radio in our trailer is horrible. We've never been able to get it to find a radio station when we are camping. That's why we were hoping to just plug in the iPod. Sure beats having to lug along CDs, too. I'll be on the lookout for something like what you mentioned. Thanks

2008 ST27RB

2007 F150 4 x 4

Traveling with 3 labs!
Old 02-22-2009, 02:16 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

I may have been a little unclear now that I am rereading my post. If you have a normal house stereo in the camper (not a car stereo type) you should have the abiliy to add another source. It may not be specifically AUX, but as long as it has a red and white RCA hookup you should be able to use it.

Have: 2008 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2006 GMC Yukon Denali
croberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 03:06 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Correct!

I bought a 19" Sylvania TV for our ST30BH wall mount. The speakers on the TV were so tinny and poor sounding that I bought a cord at Radio Shack that plugs into the headphone jack of the TV on one end and has the red and white RCA jacks on the other. Plugged them into the audio-in part of the receiver and voila! TV sound through the 5.1 receiver. Problem solved. You should be able to do same with your ipod although it won't charge.

Breckenridge, CO
'08 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST30BH Traded
'21 Grand Design Reflection 31MB 5er
'22 Cougar 29RLI 5er
'23 RAM 2500 4X4 CTD
coastn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 03:17 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

A simple Y splitter with RCA connectors on one end and 1/8" connector on the other should work with your ipod's headphone out. Â*I sometimes use my mp3 player this way to play Christmas music on shuffle through my home stereo system. Â*Many times these inputs can be found on the front of the receiver as well.

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

papa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 03:33 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

Thanks. I'll run this by the hubby. I have NO idea what RCA jacks are. That is not my area of expertise for sure.

2008 ST27RB

2007 F150 4 x 4

Traveling with 3 labs!
Old 02-22-2009, 09:31 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

Howdy
We have a 09 30sk cruiser with a Jensen stereo we just plug the Ipod into the USB outlet on the front of the stereo ...works like a charm even displays the music info

CeeDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 06:35 PM   #11
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threedognight
Quote:
Originally Posted by FB1965
We looked at our stereo yesterday and there isn't an AUX on it, but I like your idea of the cheap speaker system. Honestly our radio in our trailer is horrible. We've never been able to get it to find a radio station when we are camping. That's why we were hoping to just plug in the iPod. Sure beats having to lug along CDs, too. I'll be on the lookout for something like what you mentioned. Thanks

To GREATLY improve your stereo reception. Add a 2-way splitter in the coax from the wall jack to the television (from roof Ant.), connect a length of coax to reach the back of the stereo. Go to Radio Shack and get an adapter that is female "F"-connector on one end and a European plug on the other. Plug this into the jack that the stereo ant wire normally plugs into. You may have to bring your FM ant wire with you, because the clerks at our local Radio Shack didn't have a clue as to what I was talking about...I just asked them to show me where all the "F" connectors/adapters were and I found it myself. Sorry I can't remember the part # and I'm at work until Wednesday. Good Luck!

Note: This works on the '07 and earlier radios, not sure about the '08-09 and how their FM ant jacks are configured.Edited by: Cobra909

Bailey, the Lap Cocker Spaniel

07 Cruiser 30SK

07 Dodge CTD 5.9 3500 QC 4x4

https://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x...andcamper2.jpg

&lt
Cobra909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 08:43 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

Â*[/QUOTE]

Â*

To GREATLY improve your stereo reception. Add a 2-way splitter in the coax from the wall jack to the television (from roof Ant.), connect a length of coax to reach the back of the stereo. Go to Radio Shack and get an adapter that is female "F"-connector on one end and a European plug on the other. Plug this into the jack that the stereo ant wire normally plugs into.Â* You may have to bring your FM ant wire with you, because the clerks at our local Radio Shack didn't have a clue as to what I was talking about...I just asked them to show me where all the "F" connectors/adapters were and I found it myself. Sorry I can't remember the part # and I'm at work until Wednesday. Good Luck!

Â*

Note: This works on the '07 and earlier radios, not sure about the '08-09 and how their FM ant jacks are configured.[/QUOTE]

This can be used at home as well. Â*I've been using the TV antenna to boost radio reception for years.

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

papa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 02:48 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

I did something similar to what cobra 909 describes. My unit is an '08 with the factory supplied Coby piece of junk. The FM receiver would hardly pick up any stations so I connected a two-way splitter with a very short piece of coax to the wall outlet for the TV antennae, then connected the TV to the splitter with another short piece of coax and connected the Coby unit to the splitter with another short piece of coax. This piece of coax I connected to the Coby's FM antennae input. Amazingly it fit right over the silver radio wire input of the Coby. With the amplified TV antennae the radio reception increased the number of stations dramatically. All the coax was out of sight covered by the TV being on the wall-mount of the ST30BH.

Breckenridge, CO
'08 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST30BH Traded
'21 Grand Design Reflection 31MB 5er
'22 Cougar 29RLI 5er
'23 RAM 2500 4X4 CTD
coastn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:21 AM   #14
Weekend Camper

I'm sitting here laughing b/c most of that advice from Papa2 and Coastn read to me like blah blah blah! BUT I'm going to print out the things you all said and see if we can get to Radio Shack and get that stuffyou are all talking about.

Coastn: Yes, we have that same Coby POJ in our trailer!

2008 ST27RB

2007 F150 4 x 4

Traveling with 3 labs!
Old 03-23-2009, 02:57 PM   #15
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa2
A simple Y splitter with RCA connectors on one end and 1/8" connector on the other should work with your ipod's headphone out. I sometimes use my mp3 player this way to play Christmas music on shuffle through my home stereo system. Many times these inputs can be found on the front of the receiver as well.
Thought I'd give a little update. We tried this and it worked! We got the "Y" splitter at Target and it worked perfectly. Hubby thinks I'm a genius. Anyway, still need to try the advice on this thread about improving the fm stereo quality, but until then we listened to the iPod all weekend long! Thank you so much for your help.

2008 ST27RB

2007 F150 4 x 4

Traveling with 3 labs!
Old 03-24-2009, 11:57 AM   #16
Weekend Camper

Â*Thank you all!Â*This once again proves the value of this Forum.
The Kids gave us an I Pod Classic for Christmas. After the appropriate thanks and uh's and ah's, we were not to sure how we could use the thing up to its Â*potential. The above postings opened up virtually unlimited uses for the little gizmo.

Edited by: pegger
https://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r...aravan07-2.gif
pegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 06:00 AM   #17
New Camper

One of the best things I have ever purchased was a Bose Sound Dock. This little tiny unit will put most big stereo systems to shame. They retail in Canada for about $250 for the AC only type and about $450 for the dual AC/Battery type. My choice is the dual as it has an extra jack you can plug your laptop into via a headphone 1/4"cord. It will play for 5 or 6 hours on a single recharge.
It is about the size of an average lunchbox and has adapters for any model of Ipod. The sound is incredible. You can try it and buy it from Best Buy. Cheers

Rich Valley AB

06 Chevy 2500HD D/A

Edge Programmer

Magnaflow 5" I&E

08 Seville VF35CK

Reese 16K Slider

Job Related Camper

6-8 Months per Year

<
Roughstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:00 AM   #18
New Camper

I remoed the stereo and found there is an auxillary input on the back. Then drilled a 1/4 inch hole and ran the line to the mp3 player into the ajoining cabinet.
TOMNDEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:18 AM   #19
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
On the Kingston and Seville they have the optional "pocket" from Jensen that goes above the combo unit and they run the plug into there. Other brands use the same combo unit and come standard with the pocket. I wonder why Cruiser isn't equipped with it considering the price for these units a .50 cent piece of plastic for our MP3 player would be nice!
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:31 AM   #20
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
Here is the link to the pocket.

http://www.jensenrvdirect.com/index....ils&id=157 &PHPSESSID=4b5877e9f3ca4726635d883de6ea92da
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote