Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2016, 07:32 PM   #1
Full Time Camper

LED strips wiring help!

Ok I am wanting to wire up Led strips inside the cabinet of switches (Lights, awning, slide, etc). I purchased a two led strips from Walmart and picked up a momentary push button interruptor switch from Auto parts store. Now interruptor switch has two prongs. I want to mount the switch so when I close the door the lights go off and on when I open the door. I thought I wired black from led lights to a 12volt ground. Then 12 volt power to one prong of switch and the other black/white wire which is suppose to be positive from led lights to other prong. But it's reversed and lights come on when I push button in. I tried reversing on prongs but it does the same. The two led strip wires (4 wires) go into a reducer and come out as two wires. Then those two wires go into a plug. The other side of the plug comes out as one red wire and one black wire. But theses were hooked to a small battery with a push button so when in the package you could push the button to see how they look. I'm wondering if I should cut the wires before the black plug and maybe that's why their working in reverse. I don't know if I explained myself where anyone can understand or not. Any help or advice?????
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 07:50 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Take the white wire from the led and hook it to 12v ground. Take the black wire from the led to the switch and hook the other side of the switch to the 12v power source.
I hope this helps
Old 05-28-2016, 07:54 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Ok I will try this tomorrow. Thanks
Old 05-29-2016, 07:12 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Ok I tried that but it wasn't right. I cut wires to separate the led strips so they could be wired in one at a time. I hooked 12volt power to one prong on interruptor switch. Then black/white wire to other prong on switch. (Paper says- black/white wire is hooked to positive). Then hooked black to ground. But it's still working opposite of what I want. Led strip comes on when I push the button in. I also tried switching wires on switch but still the same. The switch is a momentary push button switch interruptor. Is there different interruptor switches that work opposite.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Old 05-29-2016, 07:44 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa-T View Post
Is there different interruptor switches that work opposite.
That's what I was thinking. It sounds like the switch is "open" when out and "closed" when pushed in. Can you check the continuity of the switch, with a multi-meter?
Cooper the Golden Retriever, and
Sam the black lab.
CampMacKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 08:25 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

Sounds like the switch is backwards. When out the contact is open, when in its closed.

So this would work i think. A door switch.

http://www.amazon.com/Ninth-City-Tru...=sr_1_2&sr=8-2
2015 ST270BH
https://burgpath.us/photos/index.php?cat=13
Burgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 04:15 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

UPDATE: Exactly right. I had the wrong switch. I had the one that was continuous closed. I needed the one that was continuous open. Picked up a new switch today at Lowes Home Improvement. The white/black wires were to one prong on switch, the wire from 12volt positive went to the other switch prong and then the black wires to a ground. All works now like it should. Open door and the led lights come on and go off when the door closes. Had to use double sided tape and a rubber bushing to add 1/4" to the inside of the door so it would push the button in when the door closed. Thanks for the feedback.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Old 09-07-2016, 06:30 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

Papa-T: I realize this is an old thread, but where did you draw power from? I've got a 2012 patriot, and the light switches are in the closet just inside the door. I want to do what you did to make it easier to see, so just wondering where you tapped in to the power, and how you hid the wires.
Thanks, Eric
2008 F350 Super Duty, 6.4l diesel, 8' bed
CC, LWB, SRW...........green😁
Ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:26 AM   #9
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericthered View Post
Papa-T: I realize this is an old thread, but where did you draw power from? I've got a 2012 patriot, and the light switches are in the closet just inside the door. I want to do what you did to make it easier to see, so just wondering where you tapped in to the power, and how you hid the wires.
Thanks, Eric
When I did mine I just tapped into a hot wire for one of my ceiling light switches behind the control panel.

Phil & Janine
2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab Short Bed 2500HD Cummins
2014 Cruiser 333RL
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 11:25 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

I would think you could draw from an undercounter light or the range hood light if close proximity.
Keep in mind, using a ceiling light source would not have full time power up there unless it extends elsewhere to power an outlet or the like, knowing it's a switched source.
You can then use Wiremold to hide or cover. A plastic or metal covering available at The Home Depot or the like with both types of elbows, boxes, and full lengths.

Bob and Better Half

2007 F-250 PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2WD
2006 TF32SS Cross Terrain Toy Hauler (sold)
Reese 16k slider
r2millers is offline   Reply With Quote