Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2010, 12:01 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

- I want to upgrade my "pull-out type" power cord to a "plug in type" to eliminate thefront door for critters while I'm plugged in.

- I've got an '07 27RL...any help on what I need?

- Thanks!
MONTE1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 12:09 PM   #2
Weekend Camper

- Got a little quick on teh draw and forgot to add this...

- I'm thinking, I need something along these lines??

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/30-amp-parkpower-conversion-kit/20300

Old 06-07-2010, 12:16 PM   #3
Seasonal Camper

This would be good, it's been on my do-list for 2 years. I don't like sticking the cord "into" my Cruiser, which can get wet, muddy, etc. This is the unit I would/will use.
Tom&Denice, Carmel,Betsy, Brighton&Daisy(Rescued Cockers)YukonXL 2500 8.1 4:10 CT31GR https://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...ofP1010009.jpg
ClassicHammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 12:37 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

I would like to go the plug in route too, but I can't seem to find away to make it look factory with the current cut out. There was a post on this issue sometime back, but I haven't been able to locate it. In that posting was someone who used a piece from a bicycle inner tube to create a seal around the cord. I have done the inner tube thing, which helps with keep down the drafts in colder / windy weather. I just duck taped the tubing to the door and push it through the hold to and it seals around the cord.

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 12:42 PM   #5
Site Team

I closed up the hole for the power cord on mine last year. I think this is probably what you want to do.

">

">

I had a post on it at the time but I can't find it now to send you the link.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 02:17 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

On my '07 30sk I installed the 30 amp kit from Camping World like MONTE1214 gave the link to. I cut the cord about 10 inches out side of trailer. I removed the enclosure that the cord comes through and removed the hinged cover. My son-in-law made me a replacement hinged cover from a piece of 1/4 inch thick polypropolene (didn't hinge it, just the same shape). I cut a hole in the piece to mount the receptacle in, then drilled holes all around the edge of the polypropolene piece to match the holes in the original enclosure. Wired the receptacle, mounted it in the poly piece, put a bead of caulk inside the original enclosure, pushed the poly piece into the enclosure against the caulk, installed the screws through the poly piece and the enclosure and into trailer wall. Made up the plug end and everything is complete. If you can't find a piece of polypropolene you could buy a plastic cutting board at Walmart which is white and about 1/4 inch thick. Wish I had taken photos, but I traded the trailer on the new one.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 04:10 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Old Farmer, that's exactly the type of conversion I was envisioning. That looks great. My only problem is that I'm a cheap SOB and after looking online at various places to do the conversion I decided I could go through a lot of rags cleaning the power cord before stuffing it back in the box. The camping world kit seems like a good price and if you have a access to getting it go for it. I found just the cord end to be over $115 at various on line outlets. The CW kit looks like it comes with everything required. Still a lot of dough for someone as cheap as me though.

'06 F-250 SD V-10

SCT custom tuned

https://i785.photobucket.com/albums/y...a/SDC12617.jpg
ryeja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 04:36 PM   #8
Seasonal Camper

Iam also cheap, my DW sometime says that I'm as tight as bark on a tree. SoI decided to use a piece of 4 inch high density "stiff"foam cut to the size of the hole to make a tight plug. Cut a slit at the bottom right to allow the cord to pass through and align with the door gate. No critters or weatherin and provides insulation. I keep the plug in place when stored to keep out spiders. Same piece of foam has kept its shape for three years now.
https://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...ckcropped2.jpg
BDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:06 AM   #9
Site Team

Finally came up with the link for this mod.

http://crossroadsrv.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=639

Old 06-08-2010, 05:05 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

- Thanks Old Farmer!

- That's exactly what I want to do.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:58 AM   #11
Seasonal Camper

Hey Old Farmer, how did you attach the plywood to the existing door assembly. I looks like there is some bonding on there.
Very nicely done, mine's next!

https://www.runnerduck.com/images/dev...andtrailer.jpg

KennyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:26 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

I did a similar mod but used a weatherproof receptacle with door inside of the factory door. I also glued 2 inches of Styrofoam insulation inside the plywood filler for those cold winter nights. Mounting the plywood/insulation was easy. I simply removed four of the corner screws holding on the original door and replaced them with longer screws that would bite into the plywood. A little silicone sealed it up tight.

Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:15 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyB
Hey Old Farmer, how did you attach the plywood to the existing door assembly. I looks like there is some bonding on there.
Very nicely done, mine's next!

I have the rear kitchen and there is a panel in the outer portion of the lower cabinets I took off (4 screws). There is a little compartment right behind it that the electric cord use to get pushed into. I was able to glue and screw the piece of plywood onto the outer wall over the opening that holds the door assembly. That's what you see in the pic. that the receptacle is screwed onto. I didn't have to do any changes to the door. The bonding you mentioned is silicone to seal it up tight.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:44 PM   #14
Full Time Camper

I also did this mod about 1-year ago, although it does not look quite as nice as what is pictured above. I ordered the kit from camping world, but you really don't need to do that, just find the Marinco end and go from there. I fabbed up a small plywood mount that is recessed so that the entire plug will be inside the trailer. I cut the plywood to fit snug and then caulked all around making it weather tight. For those going to the factory rally, look me up and I will be happy to show what I have done....

2015 Rushmore Springfield
Disc Brake upgrade, Goodyear G614 tire upgrade
RV FLEX-ARMOR roof, Mor-Ryde IS suspension

2017 F350 Dually 4x4 6.7 Bronze Fire
gossamar is offline   Reply With Quote