Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2016, 07:30 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Mattress upgrade?

I think my next upgrade will be a new mattress, since I really don't like memory foam. My preference is a fairly firm, pillow top spring mattress like the one I sleep soundly on at home. Must be 60 x 80.

If any of you have ordered from Camper Mattress.com I'd like to hear your feedback as they seem to be using the construction I prefer. Of course the problem is I can't give it the lay down test if I order online.

Any other recommendations for a firm spring mattress would be appreciated.
Old 05-21-2016, 08:26 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Our Rushmore came with a Denver mattress.. Ok , I'm going back to sleep... . Two thumbs up.
Ruby & Jade. English Springer Spaniels
Ramn4ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 06:45 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

I just went to a bed place and tried out a bunch. Found the one I liked and bought it. A normal queen sized mattress.
nachtmsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 07:52 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

We've found that most regular sized mattresses will work just fine. No need to buy something "camper-sized".

Our Hill Country came with the queen sized ICool mattress and we love it. I tend to sleep warm and this mattress has really good air circulation. We like it so much that we're planning on getting the same mattress for our SOB fifth wheel.

Our home base -- 2018 Grand Design Solitude 375RES -- The "Uno Mas!"
The mobile office -- 2016 Crossroads Hill Country HCT26RB -- The "Poquito Mas!"
Gone but not forgotten: 2015 Heartland Landmark 365 Key West (lost to Hurricane Harvey)
TxCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 08:13 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtmsk View Post
I just went to a bed place and tried out a bunch. Found the one I liked and bought it. A normal queen sized mattress.
X2 Agree
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:51 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

We replaced our "from the factory" memory foam mattress with pillow top inner spring one from Denver Mattress. The only problem we have now is that it's a 2 person job to get under the bed, one to lift and hold and another to pull stuff out. Since we really don't keep much under there to begin with it's really not much of an issue.

Phil & Janine
2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab Short Bed 2500HD Cummins
2014 Cruiser 333RL
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:38 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by campingcpl View Post
We replaced our "from the factory" memory foam mattress with pillow top inner spring one from Denver Mattress. The only problem we have now is that it's a 2 person job to get under the bed, one to lift and hold and another to pull stuff out. Since we really don't keep much under there to begin with it's really not much of an issue.
Phil, you can replace the standard gas struts which are probably 80 pound with something stronger. We replaced ours with 120 pound struts. Now we have no problem lifting the bed and it staying up.

Our home base -- 2018 Grand Design Solitude 375RES -- The "Uno Mas!"
The mobile office -- 2016 Crossroads Hill Country HCT26RB -- The "Poquito Mas!"
Gone but not forgotten: 2015 Heartland Landmark 365 Key West (lost to Hurricane Harvey)
TxCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:42 AM   #8
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxCowboy View Post
Phil, you can replace the standard gas struts which are probably 80 pound with something stronger. We replaced ours with 120 pound struts. Now we have no problem lifting the bed and it staying up.
I have thought about doing that but right at the moment it's not high on the priority list since we don't use the under bed storage that often.

Phil & Janine
2014 Cruiser 333RL
Old 05-23-2016, 12:21 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

We use the ICool mattress with a three inch topper. Really comfortable for us. I like the idea of the two stronger struts to lift and hold the bed up to access underneath. For now I use a 1x2 between the floor and plywood to hold it up.
Former: Crossroads ST26RB
Steve7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 07:15 AM   #10
Family Vacation Member

I checked the Denver Mattress website-it appears they are selling regular mattresses and not something RV specific. If that is the case, why a Denver Mattress as opposed to just getting something locally?
Old 05-24-2016, 08:36 AM   #11
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfish58 View Post
I checked the Denver Mattress website-it appears they are selling regular mattresses and not something RV specific. If that is the case, why a Denver Mattress as opposed to just getting something locally?
We looked at some of the better "RV" mattresses at a show and they were comfortable and considerably lighter but also considerably more money (the one we liked was around $1000.00 ). As for us using a Denver mattress, we have a Denver mattress store locally and we had purchased one for the bed in our home. The mattress we put in our camper was the mattress we were using in the house. We upgraded the mattress on our bed in the house so we decided just to put the old Denver mattress in our trailer. And since our mattress in the trailer was a 60 x 80 it was an easy swap and plus the standard fitted queen sheets fit much better.

Like another person posted you could go to any place locally that sells mattress's and pick out something you like, it doesn't have to be a Denver mattress. If you are looking for the "RV" or what they call a short queen (60 x 75), you might have a hard time finding that in a regular mattress store unless they can custom make it.

Phil & Janine
2014 Cruiser 333RL
Old 05-24-2016, 11:05 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

Those of you who have replaced the RV mattress with a regular, was your RV bed already the standard length or do you just let the mattress overhang at the foot? We have a the short queen in our 5th wheel.

Currently we use the RV mattress, but know we'll want to replace it within a couple seasons. We purchased the mattress extender from CampingWorld for this season. Since I'm 5'7" and my husband is 6'1" we need the standard length, but are afraid letting it overhang when in storage or driving would somehow cause damage to the mattress or the bed platform. Plus for now the bed extender was the cheaper solution.
COCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 07:17 AM   #13
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfish58 View Post
We bought a Denver mattress, a few months back. RV King. $800.
It is a piece of... well you know.
Have been trying to decide how to fix the problem, just can't afford to burn it.
Suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
KODIAKHERSHEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 08:19 AM   #14
Seasonal Camper

Our Seville came with a mattress that we replaced before ever sleeping on it. You could feel every spring. I put in an IKEA memory foam (not one that could be flipped over, that's a whole different story) and added the IKEA springs. That required pulling out the original bed frame and building a new one.

I like the idea of some 120 lb lifts as it's a bit of a hassle to put the bed up.
2021 Alliance Paradigm 365RD
WoodcarvingGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 09:00 AM   #15
Full Time Camper

We bought the Sleep Master 10" pillow top spring mattress through Amazon. Sold by The Sleep Revolution and made by Zinus. Short Queen, for the camper. The Amazon page shows a picture of a Class 3 RV. We paid over $300 for it, though I now see it listed at $230.
The good news is that it is very comfortable, just like at home. You're on a real mattress, like you're looking for, not a pad.
It is very important to watch their video, and make sure you have the rolled-up mattress positioned the way you want it before you cut the strings. Turning it over after it's expanded could be difficult.
Downside? Only two. As mentioned, the under-bed compartment struts just BARELY have enough strength to keep it up. It does, but it is precarious. The other downside is that this makes the bed pretty tall. I had to position a stool so my wife can get in, and I sit on the edge with my legs dangling!
But once on top of the bed, and under the covers, it is ALL we hoped for!
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote