Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2012, 09:37 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

I just completed some mods to my trailer.

I still have a few in mind, but this is what I have done so far.

Hope this link to my Picasa webalbum works!

https://picasaweb.google.com/fouragg...eat=directlink

3 Sons, 2 Daughters-in-Law

1 Daughter, 1 Son-in-Law

1 Grandson, 2 Grandaughters

2012 Sunset Trail 26BH
4AggiesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:50 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Great job. All those little things add up fast to make your "camping" more enjoyable.
Most of those are on my list to finish up on our new unit.

mnsunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:24 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Send a message via MSN to tator447

Your album works fine, nice job on all that you have done. I may PM you to ask about 1 or 2 of the mods, perhaps more detail on what you used and where you got the parts, like the baskets for the pantry door (DW loves them) and the holder that you used for the PVC fishing pipe, and lastly how did you get that mirror up on the bathroom door?

Thanks,
Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
2013 Crusier CF34SS GMC 3500 8.1L Dually
154 nights in 2013 - 4,370 miles
178 nights in 2014 - 5,082 miles
365 nights in 2015 - 6,040 miles
tator447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:38 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Looks nice. You have now made it your own.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:22 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

tator447,

I got the wire shelf things in a set of 3 at Walmart.

The fishing pole holder (6" pvc pipe) is just held on to the bumper with bungees. In 25 years of having trailers, we have always had a pipe bungeed to the bumper and have never lost one. I'm sure you could finda more permanent way of attachment, but we found that keeping it simple was best.

For the mirror, we just used the plastic mirror clips you get at (you guessed it!) Walmart.

We also got the mirror there. I just screwed right into the door. I'm not that afraid of making holes in the trailer. I figure that if I ever want to remove something, I can just fill the hole left behind and cammoflage it with spackle and a little dab of paint.

1 Daughter, 1 Son-in-Law

2012 Sunset Trail 26BH
Old 07-02-2012, 02:38 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Send a message via MSN to tator447

Thanks so much for the reply, my wife and I will be heading out today to Wally-World, too hot to do much of anything else LOL.

I have had a hard time finding 6" PVC I guess I'll have to head to Madison to HD or Lowe's for that. I was looking for 6 inch to be able to store all the camp-cooking crap; you know the pudgy pie makers, the tongs for roasting hot dogs, etc. Some of them are 41 inches long and we absolutely could not find a storage container larger than 40 inches

Thanks again,
Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
2013 Crusier CF34SS GMC 3500 8.1L Dually
154 nights in 2013 - 4,370 miles
178 nights in 2014 - 5,082 miles
365 nights in 2015 - 6,040 miles
tator447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:58 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

Wow! Great job. I think I'm going to use a couple of your ideas. We like what you did in the kitchen with the trash bin.

2007 F250 super duty
Big smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 02:48 AM   #8
New Camper

Nice Mods Indeed.

Quick questions.

1. For the 2 added spotlights in the bedroom over the bed, how do you get to the wiring in the overhead storage. It looks to me like there is a false floor where the wires are run. Im not sure how to remove the floor without damaging anything. How did you get to the wiring.

2. When you moved the lights in front of the warddobes did you just cut a new hole where you wanted the lights and fish the wires over? What if anything is in the ceiling?

3. When attaching items to the wall, what kind of screws do you use? Ive never worked with RV walls so I am at a loss as to what hardware to use.

Thanks for sharing

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-9...TT%2520Med.jpg
JenkinsRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 04:51 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

JenkinsRV,

For the spotlights in the bedroom over the bed we just dropped the light that was there and spliced into that wiring for the new light. We moved the location of the old light as far back (to the front of the trailer) as we could so it would shine in the right place for reading in bed. I guess if you wanted to, you could put the directional light in the same spot as the one you are removing, but we just though that further back would be better.

When we decided to move both original overhead lights to either side of the bed, we drilled holes where we wanted the lights (slowly and carefully with about a 1" spade bit) Keep in mind that the wardrobe doors need room to open and make sure the light is not in the way.

Then, we spliced new wiring and fished it through the space with a coathanger. There were no crossmembers in the little chase space that runs across that part of the ceiling.

Hubby says to be aware of how the wiring is done so that all the lights operate independently of each other. (His department, not mine!)

I covered the holes from the original lights with 1/8" panel and some decorative molding.

As far as attaching things to the walls, I just use screws I have on hand (making sure that they are not so long as to puncture through anything) I try to use the smallest screw that I think will still hold what I am attaching. That way the hole won't be huge. I usually try to put the screw in while really being careful not to overtighten. I figure if the thing I am attaching doesn't hold, I can always go back with a molly of some kind. I have also been known to hot-glue stuff in place. The hot glue holds amazingly well, and can be peeled off of slick surfaces if you no longer want it there.

I know people use the commandadhesive things a lot, but I usually still do things the old-fashioned way.

Good luck!

1 Daughter, 1 Son-in-Law

2012 Sunset Trail 26BH
Old 08-12-2012, 02:27 PM   #10
New Camper

Perfect thanks for the detailed response!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-9...TT%2520Med.jpg
JenkinsRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:52 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

Yea, looks like you've been busy. I have added alot of similar mods to my 5er. Looks good, nice job. Thanks for sharing.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:40 PM   #12
Family Vacation Member

We also have a 26BH that I have completed several mods to.
-LED lights inside and out (all the original ones were replaced)
-LED clearance lights (replacing original ones)
-LED Tail/Stop/Turn and added a second set above the original
-Installed LED lights and added LED lights in the outside storage units
-LED lights IN the wardrobes, these I put on magnetic switches when the door is opened the light comes on, close the door lights go out.
-LED Map reading lights under the little shelves in our bedroom above the bed, these are so one (my wife) can read til 2-3 in the AM and I can sleep
-Shelves and a LED light in the Closet in the back this light is also on a magnetic switch, finding a power source for that light was no a problem bathroom fan, what was a trick was fishing it over to the cupboard/wardrobe. I took the sunlight cover off (over the tub) and was able to fish from the fan and to the cupboard, I had to drill a hole in the wall (inside the cupboard) which no one knows is there except me.
-Extend-a-foot on the hitch jack
-Reflective tape on the back bumper and sides
-Vent covers (this was after a hail storm destroyed the vents)
-Shelves in the cupboards over the sink
-New foam mattress
-3M hooks (the ones that use the sticky tape that can be removed by pulling on it, and doesn't ruin/mark wall) by the door to hang keys on.
-PVC pipe inside front flow thru storage unit to hold weinner sticks, fire poker-rod etc

Last mod is that I added skid strips on the door below the sink (the one where you added the top drawer). On our trailer we opened that door (NOT far enough) a few times and slid the drawer out, unfortunately it hooked on the door panel and broke the rail of the door. To prevent this from happening again I installed aluminium stripes so that when you pull the drawer out even if the door is not open enough the drawer slides on these stripes saving the door.

My question is: The drains from the sink interfere with a lot of usable space, why did/do they NOT run the drains towards the outside wall thus freeing up space for a drawer or two? (The answer I believe is money, $$$ in parts and time)
What I want to do is swing these drains over towards the wall and free some space up for other uses.

Is there a reason why the "P"-trap is right under the sink, would there be a problem in moving this trap 12 - 18" away? I can not see a problem but thought I would ask the field of RV experts.

If I do this I will then add a couple of drawers under the sink.

egrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:41 PM   #13
Family Vacation Member

We also have a 26BH that I have completed several mods to.

-LED lights inside and out (all the original ones were replaced)
-LED clearance lights (replacing original ones)
-LED Tail/Stop/Turn and added a second set above the original
-Installed LED lights and added LED lights in the outside storage units
-LED lights IN the wardrobes, these I put on magnetic switches when the door is opened the light comes on, close the door lights go out.
-LED Map reading lights under the little shelves in our bedroom above the bed, these are so one (my wife) can read til 2-3 in the AM and I can sleep
-Shelves and a LED light in the Closet in the back this light is also on a magnetic switch, finding a power source for that light was no a problem bathroom fan, what was a trick was fishing it over to the cupboard/wardrobe. I took the sunlight cover off (over the tub) and was able to fish from the fan and to the cupboard, I had to drill a hole in the wall (inside the cupboard) which no one knows is there except me.
-Extend-a-foot on the hitch jack
-Reflective tape on the back bumper and sides
-Vent covers (this was after a hail storm destroyed the vents)
-Shelves in the cupboards over the sink
-New foam mattress
-3M hooks (the ones that use the sticky tape that can be removed by pulling on it, and doesn't ruin/mark wall) by the door to hang keys on.
-PVC pipe inside front flow thru storage unit to hold weinner sticks, fire poker-rod etc

Last mod is that I added skid strips on the door below the sink (the one where you added the top drawer). On our trailer we opened that door (NOT far enough) a few times and slid the drawer out, unfortunately it hooked on the door panel and broke the rail of the door. To prevent this from happening again I installed aluminium stripes so that when you pull the drawer out even if the door is not open enough the drawer slides on these stripes saving the door.

My question is: The drains from the sink interfere with a lot of usable space, why did/do they NOT run the drains towards the outside wall thus freeing up space for a drawer or two? (The answer I believe is money, $$$ in parts and time)
What I want to do is swing these drains over towards the wall and free some space up for other uses.

Is there a reason why the "P"-trap is right under the sink, would there be a problem in moving this trap 12 - 18" away? I can not see a problem but thought I would ask the field of RV experts.

If I do this I will then add a couple of drawers under the sink.

Old 09-16-2012, 02:07 PM   #14
Weekend Camper

I have been toying with the idea of doing something with the kitchen plumbing and the bathroom sink plumbing to move it out of the way. There is a lot of wasted space in both cabinets.

1 Daughter, 1 Son-in-Law

2012 Sunset Trail 26BH
Old 09-16-2012, 02:09 PM   #15
Family Vacation Member

I am going to ask a couple of plumbers I know for their opinion on this. I will post whatever I happen find out.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:01 PM   #16
New Camper

Extra shelves and changing the bulbs to LED's, invaluable upgrades.
Ryan & Elli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:31 PM   #17
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by egrum
I am going to ask a couple of plumbers I know for their opinion on this. I will post whatever I happen find out.

Sounds great, I also want to know is this can be done. Any updates? Thanks for the info.
Travel Well / Travel Safe ...

'12 F350(NotShown) / '11 Rushmore 35RL
https://i53.tinypic.com/2qs5cw3.jpg
Ruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:41 PM   #18
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4AggiesMom
I just completed some mods to my trailer.

I still have a few in mind, but this is what I have done so far.

Hope this link to my Picasa webalbum works!

https://picasaweb.google.com/fouragg...eat=directlink
Cool, just checked out pics and even if I don't have SST, can still adapt some of the mods on this, and will be making the adaptations, Thanks!!
Travel Well / Travel Safe ...

'12 F350(NotShown) / '11 Rushmore 35RL
https://i53.tinypic.com/2qs5cw3.jpg
Ruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:41 AM   #19
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenkinsRV
Perfect thanks for the detailed response!
Hello. I noticed your TV is a Tundra and you are towing the same TT we are interested in. I would be interested in your comments on tow-ability and your experience so far.
Also sent you a PM.
Thanks,
Oldcow
Oldcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:15 AM   #20
Weekend Camper

awesome upgrades - great ideas
11 Ram 2500 - Green Machine - retired
16 Chevy 2500 - Bone Crusher - the dark side
08 CR Zinger 30BH - Zing 1
Vader is offline   Reply With Quote