Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2015, 08:58 PM   #1
Full Time Camper

PIN BOX Modifications:

PIN BOX Modifications:
· Umbilical cord storage plus 12dcV electrical outlet. Last spring DW tried to stow the power cord into the pin box and managed to short out 12dcV producing a shower of sparks. The convertor failed shortly thereafter. So, we purchased a receptacle and mounted a steel extension box on top of the existing electrical junction box to hold the plug while parked. Using the connections on the receptacle we installed a switch to test the RV clearance lights and 12dcV receptacle that powers our homemade LED motion detector.
· Bird and rodent screen. We painted ¼” hardware cloth and carefully cut it to shape and used black silicone to permanently glue it into the pin box. Now there are no more birds’ nests to remove.
· Cowling stabilization and repair. We cracked the pin box cowling years ago and now have used hot Gorilla Tape to re-enforce the plastic. The cowling used to flutter while traveling so we screwed 3” steel ell brackets to the pin box and then wrapped foam pipe insulation around the ell brackets. The insulation fits tight up against the cowling so it cannot slip off of the bracket and no more fluttering in the wind.

Old 04-02-2015, 07:53 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Dave You sure come up with unique and practical innovations. Nice work.
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:35 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Looks good except that you used a none water tight box and switch. Not sure about you, but I get moisture spray in that area when driving in the rain.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:40 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan View Post
Looks good except that you used a none water tight box and switch. Not sure about you, but I get moisture spray in that area when driving in the rain.
True; but the original junction box was not sealed nor is the plug and receptacle on the back bumper of the tow vehicle. I think it will be ok up under the pin box.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:53 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Dave,
It all looks very good. Where do you store the breakaway cable? I always stuff it and the pin for the hitch lock inside the pin box with the power cable. Also, I'm always concerned about the power cable working loose from the receptacle, now you have two of them. Anyway, I use a small velcro strip wrapped around the plug and the lid to keep the plug from slipping past the lock tab on the lid.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 09:13 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayle1 View Post
Dave,
It all looks very good. Where do you store the breakaway cable? I always stuff it and the pin for the hitch lock inside the pin box with the power cable. Also, I'm always concerned about the power cable working loose from the receptacle, now you have two of them. Anyway, I use a small velcro strip wrapped around the plug and the lid to keep the plug from slipping past the lock tab on the lid.
Look close and you will see that key ring wound into the hardware cloth; that is where we hook the break-away cable while in camp.

The Power Cable hangs in the dummy receptacle while in camp and has never fallen out. The big advantage is no more shorting out the battery or having to replace the convertor. The dummy receptacle provides power to the spare 12dcV outlet and the clearance light switch. Leaving the clearance lights on makes it easy for folks to find the right RV when were hosting the campfire get together.

The only time things get tight when the hitch is slid back into the maneuvering position. Then the new receptacle is very close to the tailgate.
Old 07-19-2015, 08:55 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Added Motion Detecting LED light fixtures to the PIN BOX.

When we saw these LED lighting fixtures at Costco I figured they would be nice to light up the path to the RV door. These LED fixtures are supplied with 2 selector switches; ON-OFF-AUTO and 30-60-90 seconds on. They require 3 AA batteries that don't last that long and the fixtures are not weather proof.

So, I wired then direct using my new 12dcV cigarette outlet behind the pin-box. The plugin power supply drops the 12dcV down to a regulated 4.5dcV. I soldered in a 2 conductor plug and receptacle for easy removal of each fixture. The fixtures slide into a supplied bracket so that the fixtures simply lifts out for travel. I pointed the fixtures angled downward as not to light up the entire neighborhood.

They have been working great for the last 3 weeks. The dog and I check their operation every evening.

IMG_0446 (300x179).jpg

IMG_0447 (300x184).jpg

IMG_0449 (300x180).jpg
Old 07-01-2016, 04:03 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Pin Box Modification #5

I needed to see if the hitch jaws have engaged the pin but it's dark, cold and raining. So, I installed a 12dcV LED Kawell lamp under the pin box to help out.

RV PIN BOX01 (640x367).jpg

IMG_5268 (640x349).jpg